The Uninhabitable Ireland (1 Viewer)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sure it wasn't that long ago Jeremy Irons et al just barely kept the government from selling off Coillte forests. Policy on this matter is an absolute disgrace.

Ireland, just forests grown to cut down and sell the wood

And for this, the farmers (most of this is farmers) involved get the forestry premiums from department of agriculture and they only pay USC and Prsi (if under 65) on the income from it so Max tax is 12%. In 2016, the government took it out of the high earner income restriction (which meant it might have been restricted the tax exemption but not any more).

As well, the land is planted with the use of grants from department of agriculture.

On top of it, the forest part qualifies for agricultural relief even if the person getting the gift does not reach the other qualifications for it meaning that if a person inherited forestry of €1,000,000 less 90% meaning taxable gift of €100,000 and tax on gift of €33,000.

Basically forestry is just a tax shelter for wealthy people and it is all about the cycle - plant with grants, grow, sell the wood and repeat.

I am going to ask what might be a stupid question ...

This "you should stop flying" thing. I am a big enough dude, 107 kg but an airbus A320 is about 83,000kg. When someone says "you should stop flying" is it because of the additional fuel required to get my 107kg off the ground, through the air and back down (plus coming back) is a bad amount of fuel to be burned, even though it's a fractional amount of the fuel required to get the 83,000kg thing I'm sitting in to do the trip, or are they actually saying "you, and loads of other people should stop flying because then fewer flights requiring the fuel to make an 83,000kg machine go up in the air, stay there for a few hours and then come back down again would happen?"

I am going to ask what might be a stupid question ...

This "you should stop flying" thing. I am a big enough dude, 107 kg but an airbus A320 is about 83,000kg. When someone says "you should stop flying" is it because of the additional fuel required to get my 107kg off the ground, through the air and back down (plus coming back) is a bad amount of fuel to be burned, even though it's a fractional amount of the fuel required to get the 83,000kg thing I'm sitting in to do the trip, or are they actually saying "you, and loads of other people should stop flying because then fewer flights requiring the fuel to make an 83,000kg machine go up in the air, stay there for a few hours and then come back down again would happen?"

I would say its a combination of both but mostly the latter. The transition of flights from 'needs' to 'wants'* and the idea that they are a readily available product is basically insanity. Obviously it is very lucrative insanity so aer lingus aren't exactly going to turn round and just say they are going to reduce their charter by 80% voluntarily in a mutual peaceful agreement with all the other airlines so the only viable option is to ask people nicely not to bother.

*says me, who flew to the netherlands last week for fun.

On the weight thing, like there probably is something in that. If you want to go full on problematic kafka on it, having a weight restriction on people flying to say 60kg (small person) instead of 75kg (me) would be a 5% reduction in weight for the whole plane. I'm sure ryanair have had many board meetings about it.

I'm sure a lot of you have seen this already. he's awful pleasant to listen to.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I don't buy the "you should stop flying" argument, the military should stop flying - yes, private jets for millionaires and billionaires should not exist, yes, but the rest...

Maybe there's an argument to tax them more but I'd say the net good from seeing that the rest of the world exists outweighs the rest.

I don't buy the "you should stop flying" argument, the military should stop flying - yes, private jets for millionaires and billionaires should not exist, yes, but the rest...

Maybe there's an argument to tax them more but I'd say the net good from seeing that the rest of the world exists outweighs the rest.

I've a notion they dont pay tax on fuel at all. I kind agree with you but I'm not sure if its my sense of logic or my inner gap year speaking.

It seems to me that planes burning fossil fuels will be one of the last things to be phased out as (if) we try to move away from the internal combustion engine, I've never heard a word about the idea of an electric plane.

Perhaps superfast trains will solve some of the too many planes issue. Not for this country unless we start building massive bridges or tunnels, but on large land masses.

I've never heard a word about the idea of an electric plane.

I watched a video where a guy broke down the current capabilities of batteries in planes, he figured that considering weight and take off, a generic, like 737 or something would run 15 minutes on batteries at their current weight. smaller ones like 8 seaters could run an hour or two on the current tech.

Doesn't the elevation of planes make them so much worse? I'm not sure of the exact science but I guess none of the emissions get absorbed by trees or the thicker atmosphere down on the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back