NTL / UPC / Virgin Media Broadband (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter HMD
  • Start date
  • Replies 513
  • Views 66K
  • Watchers 11
I have UPC in my new gaff but I'm at the opposite end of the house to where the router is and the signal is a bit shit - youtube is glitchy. Is having a usb wireless receiver at the end of a 5m usb cable likely to make it a bit crapper than no cable? Are some wireless receivers better than others? There isn't enough space under the doors for a network cable...

The long USB cable could work, or you get get a wireless repeater / range extender, or you could try powerline networking? i wouldn't use it myself though. I ran some Cat6 cable through a wall to my PC so that'll do me until UPC eventually open the internet taps all the way and hit their 1.3Gb/sec limit.

Our savvy brethren at boards.ie are all getting loads of money offa Virgin today.

You may have gotten a mail or letter about price increases, ring their sales or loyalty depts to complain and threaten a switch to sky, folk are getting up to 50% off over the next 6 months

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057206058&page=52

If you have a modem that already works, can you just get their broadband and use your old modem?
Without having UPC/Virgin Media, I'm going to say 'no'. The new modem would include support for new generations of DOCSIS (the technology of transmitting the data for cable systems).

You should of course be able to purchase your own router and setup your own network from that rather than relying on UPC/VM's poor quality modem/routers. Bridge Mode at a router level is ideally the best nerdy way of managing things but UPC probably don't like that, phone/fibre based ISPs are grand though.

Our savvy brethren at boards.ie are all getting loads of money offa Virgin today.

You may have gotten a mail or letter about price increases, ring their sales or loyalty depts to complain and threaten a switch to sky, folk are getting up to 50% off over the next 6 months

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057206058&page=52

"So frustrating to be on phone for 70 minutes when I didn't mention loyalty to sales

I'm ringing again."

What is a good Download/Upload speed?

I did a test on an iPad and it was @30 Download/10 Upload

My missus wants to get rid of it as she can't even play youtube videos on her laptop or tablet anymore without it hanging

fast.com is usually accurate but it's trying to tell me my connection is 1.4Gbps

can someone else check if they're completely off the wall or have virgin done a quiet upgrade or what's going on

Seems bogey around here (Dublin 11) as well, different speeds from Ookla and that site you linked. Service has been up and down a lot this week for me.

"
Your Internet speed is

Mbps
"
no it isn't

boom

8197962581.png

That is bananas fast

it'll do, at least until Siro land here with their 1gig fibre....

got a discounted rate too for signing up for another 12 month contract.
- you can do it through their site and get the €99 broadband tv & phone bundle for €79 for 6 months. Or €39 a month for 6 months if you're a new customer.

it'll do, at least until Siro land here with their 1gig fibre....

got a discounted rate too for signing up for another 12 month contract.
- you can do it through their site and get the €99 broadband tv & phone bundle for €79 for 6 months. Or €39 a month for 6 months if you're a new customer.

€100 is mad. Does anyone just do a broadband only package these days?

€100 is mad. Does anyone just do a broadband only package these days?

yeah but the costs are heavily loaded on the broadband side - with virgin media all their broadband offers for new customers start at €39, but after 6 months you end up at €59 (250 down/20 up), €64 (360/30), or €69 (500/50) a month.

If you go for their unlimited phone service and the TV bundle it's €30 extra, so either €89, €94, or €99 after 6 months, depending on your initial broadband speed choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back