European and Local elections 2019 (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter IFF
  • Start date
  • Replies 292
  • Views 27K
  • Watchers 5
You're going to have to explain this a bit better. How could this be done? You'd tell the fella in the garage your annual income so he could decide what rate to charge you for your diesel?

I don’t know, I’m just suggesting ideas.

Maybe Everyone has their own ‘carbon tax fuel card’ that has to be used buying fuel?

Or

You keep your fuel receipts and submit them to the relevant government body that has your account details which includes your tax band and credit is applied to your account or a rebate is applied for?

Something Along those lines perhaps. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Second one could actually work, if the admin costs weren't too high ... in fact it'd allow the carbon tax to be increased a LOT without affecting poor people too much (though of course they'd be the ones who'd be least able to wait for a rebate)

Gotta point out though - the panel who worked out the climate change action plan may very well have already come up with the ideas you've had above, and ruled them out for very good reasons.

Imagine the headaches trying to figure out what band you're in if you drive an older car. And would it depend on how much you drive it, and would town driving v. open road be a consideration?

Too many factors to make a fair and level playing field

I think a fuel card system isn't unreasonable at all. I might have suggested it earlier in this thread or another actually.

HOWEVER.

The more I'm looking at it, it might just be better to ban cars altogether.

A pox on all involved with this

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think a fuel card system isn't unreasonable at all. I might have suggested it earlier in this thread or another actually.

HOWEVER.

The more I'm looking at it, it might just be better to ban cars altogether.
Ah lads - you know I love ye all, but I don't see the point in discussing stuff that's just not going to happen. Ban cars? Pay extra tax at the petrol pump depending on what you earn? C'mon now. We're all grown ups here

We're all grown ups here

See I've come to the point where I don't actually agree with this. I think the western world at large lives like an extremely destructive spoiled child and if we are to talk like grown ups then the most realistic step is not to spend 6 (time till next budget) months splitting hairs over how/when/why carbon tax is introduced and just do the adult thing and proceed with abandonment of the thing that is causing the problem. If you want to have see a grown up become a spoilted child in about six seconds flat, suggest this to them. In galway last year they closed about 1/6th of the city for a few evenings to facilitate ed sheeran, deeming most of satlhill a no car zone. They ran tons of extra buses and things to fill the gap. It was grand - the profile of people there were mostly too young to drive so they had to think that way. The world didn't stop turning.

Serious increase in the subsidy for buying electric vehicles - scrappage allowance for anyone switching to an electric car would be a good start. Make it applicable to second hand electrics too.

See I've come to the point where I don't actually agree with this. I think the western world at large lives like an extremely destructive spoiled child and if we are to talk like grown ups then the most realistic step is not to spend 6 (time till next budget) months splitting hairs over how/when/why carbon tax is introduced and just do the adult thing and proceed with abandonment of the thing that is causing the problem
I'm not saying the world would end if we banned cars, I'm saying there's no point wasting emotional energy advocating for something that is simply not going to happen. The Irish state can't even introduce water charges, or stop people cutting turf - how the fuck would it succeed in banning cars?

I'm not saying the world would end if we banned cars, I'm saying there's no point wasting emotional energy advocating for something that is simply not going to happen. The Irish state can't even introduce water charges, or stop people cutting turf - how the fuck would it succeed in banning cars?

I was doing a piece on the carbon tax for that little website i do bit for and I got a few evenings into the research/ political side of the background stuff and I came to the point where i realized that writing about the carbon tax was a waste of time. What I see happening is LE19 being framed on carbon tax as a water tester for the budget this year. It'll ~*probably* be gently put in some way or another once the poltical lines are drawn and all of a sudden we are 9, 8, 6 years from missing the IPCC timeline, still fucking around importing 100,000 combustion cars a year. This brought me to the point of realization that the only valid use of time was moving the discussion towards a car ban. I was more tired this morning when i responded but I should have waited till later I'd woken up enough. My logic is that changing the discussion into car bans at every opportunity is a more realistic action than wondering what % a carbon tax might be - it opens up room for petes ted talk and so on.

I've nearly summarized the whole article as such now but It'll be up be for the elections anywhoo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back