I'm going to buy a record player................... (1 Viewer)

270 on the repair and then add a cartridge to that. More than I had hoped but I'm going to end up with a souped up Planar 3 with a much better tone arm, and upgraded cartridge, and all set up/tracked/whatever properly so I'm happy enough.

I got a long term loan of a lovely record player, just got it home. I'm told it's a couple of steps away from being functional, and it needs an amp. If I post up a couple of pictures could anyone here advise on the work I need to do? I don't think I can justify the Hifi Hospital route, financially speaking.

I got a long term loan of a lovely record player, just got it home. I'm told it's a couple of steps away from being functional, and it needs an amp. If I post up a couple of pictures could anyone here advise on the work I need to do? I don't think I can justify the Hifi Hospital route, financially speaking.
Blind leading the blind here but post away.

What cartridge did you get?

Some Audio-Technica one (AT 110e). Yer man recommended it. Was pretty cheap (80 quid + 20 or so for a Headshell(?). He told me that the Elys(?) ones are just rebranded AT cartridges and not worth the money (even made in the same factory). There was some other well known brand he mentioned that are also rebranded AT ones ...

I just bought an audio-technica turntable. what next? It has a built in pre-amp but I also got an external pre-amp as part of the deal. I know I need speakers (of some sort) but do I need some sort of amplifier or interface to connect a cd player etc?

I just bought an audio-technica turntable. what next? It has a built in pre-amp but I also got an external pre-amp as part of the deal. I know I need speakers (of some sort) but do I need some sort of amplifier or interface to connect a cd player etc?

hopefully you have got an amplifier and cables now and have
this sorted out.
reminds me of my saga on this thread a few years ago :
(see posts #156 to # 179 from October 2017 for a laugh)

i had gotten an Audio Technica 120 and first had difficulty getting the
speaker jacks into the back of the amplifier - they just need a
good shove in (was afraid i was going to break something).

and then the sound was shit - distorted and tinny.
finally i realized i needed to turn on a pre-amp switch on the back
of the turntable.

great times ! the folks on this thread were VERY helpful.

until recent years i always had very cheap stereo equipment and
paid the price:
lots of scratched records.

back to the present:
(after much deliberation) i finally got a double cassette tape
deck off ebay yesterday ( Pioneer 208 ).
from 2002 it's a basic model, appears in very good condition...
£ 45 plus postage.

until last year when TEAC came out with a new double cassette model
( costs 450 Euro (!!)) these didn't seem to be produced anymore.
hopefully there will be more options coming on the market in the
coming years ??

Was this sorted?

You will need an amplifier after the preamp if the speakers are passive speakers. i .e. speakers that don't need to be plugged into a socket and turned on. Powered speakers 9/10 have an amp built into them and will have a volume control.

turntable -> pre-amp -> amp -> speakers

cd players skip the preamp and are plugged into the amp.

great stuff-just what I need to know

I still need an amplifier and speakers. Some insane prices out there

I got my first set of speakers in a charity store for a few euros. Any speakers with matching ohms (it'll say on the amp often that it is something like 4, 8, 16 ohms and sometimes a range like 4-16ohms) - so long as the speakers match in ohms and the watts arent a crazy mismatch they will work. Got me up and running and then I upgraded when nice 2nd hands appeared.

Unless the amp has a phono input in which case it's already got a pre-amp in it. In which case it's

turntable -> amp -> speakers
Yah or if the turntable has a phono output for that matter, or the amp is powered like i was saying earlier. So many combinations to break your equipment

I got my first set of speakers in a charity store for a few euros. Any speakers with matching ohms (it'll say on the amp often that it is something like 4, 8, 16 ohms and sometimes a range like 4-16ohms) - so long as the speakers match in ohms and the watts arent a crazy mismatch they will work. Got me up and running and then I upgraded when nice 2nd hands appeared.
oh yeah you'd want to check that as well. In my limited experience unless you're dealing with antique or crazy expensive equipment most of these things are relatively standard.

It's got a built in pre-amp, and the seller gave me a simple external pre-amp of I want to use it. How does one gauge the Ohm-age of these things?

Stating the bleeding obvious but as far as buyintg hi-fi equipment (or anything, I suppose) whatever you're budget is it important do some research before buying anything. There's loads of reviews out there. I bought a set up 6 or 7 years ago and it's still working and sounding good. I didn't know much and decided by reading reviews of gear within what I was willing to spend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back