Major Pleasures (3 Viewers)

I despise rick beato. He's the youtube equivalent of someone playing sweet home alabama in letterkenny for 50 years. PLay the hits, feed of the creativity of others and reap the rewards.

Have to disagree. I think he has the best music channel on youtube. He really knows his stuff.

I think his "what makes this song great" videos are interesting, he really breaks down things to a ridiculous level bringing into focus so much that is clearly instinctual on the artists part.

I'd draw a parallel to The Annotated Alice, a book that draws out so much from the Alice in Wonderland books that it becomes an art all in itself, almost unrelated to what Lewis Carroll was actually doing.

I wouldn't want to be Rick Beato though.

Have to disagree. I think he has the best music channel on youtube. He really knows his stuff.

Thats fine and all, like myself and half the musicians I've worked with can deconstruct stuff like that. We do it when we are drunk sometimes. He just strikes me as someone who is happy to coast on other peoples ideas, and deconstruction is essentially complete bullshit anyways. Like just because a person strings three chords together or uses a certain amp does not imply that the did it in the conscious way that dick beato perceives it or sells it. Probably completely the opposite. 'what makes this song great' is nothing to do with its mechanics, and everything to do with communal and societal environments, social moments, and a million other things like the distinct moments of artists lives that lead them to find direction from mashing their hands on keys and buttons and things. In fact the hardest part about being creative is forgetting you know all that shit and opening up. Dick Beato just rhymes off basic mechanics and brands. He literally never answers the question he is posing. I still say you are as well to nip down the local and watch the someone play freebird as you are to spend time plumping rick beatos cushions for him.

Thats fine and all, like myself and half the musicians I've worked with can deconstruct stuff like that. We do it when we are drunk sometimes. He just strikes me as someone who is happy to coast on other peoples ideas, and deconstruction is essentially complete bullshit anyways. Like just because a person strings three chords together or uses a certain amp does not imply that the did it in the conscious way that dick beato perceives it or sells it. Probably completely the opposite. 'what makes this song great' is nothing to do with its mechanics, and everything to do with communal and societal environments, social moments, and a million other things like the distinct moments of artists lives that lead them to find direction from mashing their hands on keys and buttons and things. In fact the hardest part about being creative is forgetting you know all that shit and opening up. Dick Beato just rhymes off basic mechanics and brands. He literally never answers the question he is posing. I still say you are as well to nip down the local and watch the someone play freebird as you are to spend time plumping rick beatos cushions for him.
this is true.

And also seems to be the crux of your entire argument. Could he just rename his series?

LOL

Have you listened to that Dissect podcast? Its pretty massive.,a fair few people recommended it to me and I tried it for a while but I couldn't stand it.

It's just hours of some guy telling you all the amazing ways Kanye/Frank Ocean/whoever are amazing at all times and here is every reference they ever make explained and contextualised. Basically Genius.com but audio. Nothing of interest is said or explored, just lots of overexplaining and overpraising and, in all honesty, it kills the art. The worst of music journalism imho

LOL

Have you listened to that Dissect podcast? Its pretty massive.,a fair few people recommended it to me and I tried it for a while but I couldn't stand it.

It's just hours of some guy telling you all the amazing ways Kanye/Frank Ocean/whoever are amazing at all times and here is every reference they ever make explained and contextualised. Basically Genius.com but audio. Nothing of interest is said or explored, just lots of overexplaining and overpraising and, in all honesty, it kills the art. The worst of music journalism imho

Oh god no, where I work the last thing I ever want to hear in my spare time are people talking about things. I only ever listened to a really boring mythology podcast because it put me to sleep. I've formed a theory that the popularity of podcasts/asmr stuff is a lot to with socially isolated people on the internet just wanting to hear a conversation.

Oh god no, where I work the last thing I ever want to hear in my spare time are people talking about things. I only ever listened to a really boring mythology podcast because it put me to sleep. I've formed a theory that the popularity of podcasts/asmr stuff is a lot to with socially isolated people on the internet just wanting to hear a conversation.
I'd say so, but then so was my mother listening to Gay Byrne on RTE 1 for 20 years when i was a kid.

Your probably right that a lot of the bands he dissects wouldn't know what they're doing as far as music theory, but Dick has a masters in Jazz theory & composition & he was a professor in some music collage so he's can. I like listening to him. I actually learn something. No harm in that.

"deconstruction is essentially complete bullshit anyways"

Really?

His latest what makes this song vid is The Doors, Touch me. Not my favourite doors song but his breakdown of it made me appreciated it more.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

"deconstruction is essentially complete bullshit anyways"

Yes. Assuming he knows how and why the doors or any other act made any musical or equipment decision is a massive, massive leap of faith. I looked at that doors one before I posted. Its 20 minutes of assumptions without evidence. He even uses a plectrum for the guitar (krieger never used a plectrum, it was against the way he learned guitar).

If he knows so much why isn't he banging out timeless classics himself.

I only have a vague idea of who he is..a bloke off youtube

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back