BREXIT (9 Viewers)

May also mentioned a second vote in the parliament yesterday and Phillip Hammond recently said that the government should be open to the possibility of one. I think it's the best way to reverse the brexit process if that is what they decide to do. A long extension with a referendum and even an election would take time but at least that way they can be seen to have undergone some process which the public is also engaged in.

the concept of having to vote on 7 outcomes, whoever thought that up is pretty smart. May has been trying to pass a 'best i can get' deal for months and party politics and cowardice has shot it down every time. now with the spectre of actually having to choose something that isn't just 'no', all these supposed true brits would either have to pick one or make it really clear that they are just saying no to fucking everything because its politically easier, which has roped moog into admitting that mays deal might be the best option.

I think they are morons at large, and all that they have at heart is the next election, whoever thought that one up can see right through it.

Well...
A very significant vote tonight...
Parliament has voted to take control of the order of debates on Wednesday. This may seem a bit obscure, but it's huge.
Westminster has been more or less running on the same rules and conventions since 1604 (a whole lot of rules was written down in something called Erskine May - which John Bercow referred to when he ruled out a third vote on the Withdrawal Agreement).
Technically Britain has a Parliamentary democracy. However, the government, or executive, has always controlled the order of debates and the overall focus of the parliament. This is a convention, not a rule... because the assumption is that the government comes from the majority of MPs.
However... after the 2017 General Election May has had a minority government. She has a "confidence and supply" deal with the DUP - so the DUP aren't actually in government (hence there are no DUP ministers). The Tories have been setting out the order of debates etc. (this is what the Leader of the House of Commons, Andrea Leadsom is responsible for). MPs often propose amendments, which the government sometimes incorporate in to the running order of debates and votes, but the government always controls what gets talked about and legislated for.
Tonight's vote turns this convention on it's head. Instead of the Leader of the House setting out the agenda for Wednesday, it's going to be done by all the MPs. They're doing this so they can vote on a series of alternative solutions to Brexit (e.g. Norway+, Customs Union 2.0, Revoke Article 50, 2nd Referendum etc.). These are called Indicative Votes (a series of votes to indicate what alternative the parliament wants). However... the MPs may add in a vote to say that they should be charge of the running order on Thursday... and then following week etc.

We're in proper uncharted territory.

I believe "No Deal" is not going to happen. The ERG nutters are going to weigh in behind Theresa May's Withdrawal Agreement, leaving the DUP and some other headcases out on their own.

I just straight cut and pasted this and sent it to a Canadian I know who wanted to know what was happening last night. Thanks Billy

The indicative votes process may see the use of a preferential voting system - like what we use in Ireland for our general elections

If this happens it’ll be another step forward for Westminster - the appetite for PR in the UK voting system is growing all the time

Anyway...
I think it’s looking like this:
  • The mad ERG/DUP/Kate Hoey group just want no deal, hard Brexit, screw the E.U. It’s now clear they’re a small minority
  • There’s the 2nd Referendum/Revoke Article 50 brigade. They’re a lot bigger than the No Dealers. They’re the SNP, Greens, Lib Dems, Independent Group, Plaid Cymru, a bunch of Labour MPs and a small group of Tories (eg Dominic Grieve).
  • Then there’s the Tories who back Theresa May’s deal - which was small but has grown because of Brexiteers who’ve realized it’s the only way to leave the EU
  • Finally, there’s the rest. I think they’re kind of looking at the UK being in the Customs Union in a sort of Norway/EU like arrangement
I think what’ll come out from Wednesday is this fourth option. Theresa May is trying to shape it so it’s her deal or no Brexit. But it’s likely to be her deal, no Brexit/2nd Referendum or this Norway+/Customs Union 2.0 thing

Oh! We may see Theresa May set a date for her resignation today - this is to get all the Brexiteers to back the a Withdrawal agreement

That’s the rumour anyway

Uncanny 🤔

NimbleRelievedGalapagospenguin-max-1mb.gif
SecondWhirlwindGypsymoth-small.gif

I to admit feeling some pity for her, the relentless mocking every time she tries to join in with anything.

A quick look at her policy record will clear my conscience quick enough though.

Might a been posted already... Tis good.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back