People Who Died (9 Viewers)

The last thing the lad would want would be us falling out over the fact that some of us were at ground zero for the biggest most fun scene since punk rock and some of us are just wet

So lets just agree that rave was great and let that be that
I was jealous of ravers. they seemed to be having such a great time. But I was really bad on drugs-they made me mental, so I stuck with guitar based rubbish. Were there straight edge ravers? Were they losers too?

I was jealous of ravers. they seemed to be having such a great time. But I was really bad on drugs-they made me mental, so I stuck with guitar based rubbish. Were there straight edge ravers? Were they losers too?
Well I was 12 so managed to have great fun with my mates listening to Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Dune, etc. without drugs. We were losers though.

I couldnt tell ya I was having too much fun hugging people to know

Well I was 12 so managed to have great fun with my mates listening to Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Dune, etc. without drugs. We were losers though.
I associate that time with lots of people I knew fucking themselves up on drugs and it was largely due to the scene that was created around the music of the time. The Prodigy were an integral part of that. And underworld. And maybe it's by association rather than their actual music, but I despised everything about that scene (including the bands) back then.

Apart from Maniac 2000. That was great.

While it is true that it costs nothing to be nice I guess it also costs nothing to be a needless bitch about someone who just died so it appears we are at an impasse. True facts stated.

I think you’ll find I was nice about him in my first post about him. And TBH Youre clearly proving my ‘OTT’ comment with your childish name-calling.

Fucking people over and treating them like shit just so you can feel love for everyone when you are on a handful of Es can fuck right off

BOOM. This

Yeah, I distrusted Rave for a couple of years, because it was all about the drugs for the lads who "defected" from the metal/punk scene at home, and at that point I would have been wary of drugs. It was mad...one week you'd have a dude getting a skull tattooed on his arm to go with the dragon on his other arm, and be chatting to him about Carcass, and literally the next week you'd meet the same dude outside Tesco and he'd have shaved his head and be wearing baggy trousers and a dayglo smiley face tshirt. It was a complete mystery to me :)
And the "rave" music I was hearing at the time wasn't the top of the heap in terms of quality.
But a couple of things happened: I noticed that the lads who stayed "true" to the scene were mostly old farts, and somehow it wasn't entirely about the music for them either. Also, I went to college and went to a few raves and they were great. And MTV late at night was great too...so much new music. I can still beatbox several of the MTV idents from that time. In my head.
Ah The Progeny were brilliant, up to Jilted. I liked that album for a while because it was heavy but the stuff before that is more crack.

Fucking people over and treating them like shit just so you can feel love for everyone when you are on a handful of Es can fuck right off

Did this happen? It didn't where I'm from, people just went off and did their own thing. There was plenty of fucking people over in the punk/metal scene here, never mind rave.

Yeah, I distrusted Rave for a couple of years, because it was all about the drugs for the lads who "defected" from the metal/punk scene at home, and at that point I would have been wary of drugs. It was mad...one week you'd have a dude getting a skull tattooed on his arm to go with the dragon on his other arm, and be chatting to him about Carcass, and literally the next week you'd meet the same dude outside Tesco and he'd have shaved his head and be wearing baggy trousers and a dayglo smiley face tshirt. It was a complete mystery to me :)
And the "rave" music I was hearing at the time wasn't the top of the heap in terms of quality.
But a couple of things happened: I noticed that the lads who stayed "true" to the scene were mostly old farts, and somehow it wasn't entirely about the music for them either. Also, I went to college and went to a few raves and they were great. And MTV late at night was great too...so much new music. I can still beatbox several of the MTV idents from that time. In my head.
Ah The Progeny were brilliant, up to Jilted. I liked that album for a while because it was heavy but the stuff before that is more crack.

Did this happen? It didn't where I'm from, people just went off and did their own thing. There was plenty of fucking people over in the punk/metal scene here, never mind rave.

I saw it happen a lot. An awful lot.

Thinking about it now, a big reason rave took off in Carlow was because the other options for people who were into music and getting off their tits had so few other options. Metal Bashes and other gigs would only happen every now and then. And they weren't always brilliant. Whereas the rave scene in Carlow was every weekend, and they organised buses going all over the country for stuff.

This is the stuff I find COMPLETELY fascinating. With all types of music, you'll find people who absolutely hate it. This very often has not too much to do with the actual music and so much to do with everything that was happening around it. people who went off grunge after nirvana, people here who are off rave by association, people who hate country and Irish, metal, pop etc etc. Like its impossible by the sheer nature of music to disassociate things completely because of how it hits the brain and where it goes when it is in there, but still, amazing that something that essentially is almost identical (heavy beats, distorted melodies and chords, shouting men) can cause such polarization. there is really fuck all between them, fuck all. If it makes you angry you need to address your teens, not use a genre for a crutch like.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back