The Uninhabitable Ireland (1 Viewer)

Lili Marlene

-
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions

What can we practically do in Ireland considering we are doing NOTHING and failing to meet all our carbon/climate/whatever targets?

Who should I vote for if I make saving the planet my 100% voting reason? I am convinced by the argument that politely asking people to personally recycle and eat less meat won't do anything.

Or do I just go full on nihilism?

I edited the link to remove the petty irishtimes review and replace it with a good one (also written by an irish writer)

What can we practically do in Irel...recycle and eat less meat won't do anything.

I've been thinking about these things a lot recently. I kinda agree that politely asking people things is mostly not going to work, as we all know new information is the worst thing on the planet. The only thing that'll really change behavior is making things either the easiest or cheapest thing to do. What constituency you in?

What can we practically do in Ireland considering we are doing NOTHING and failing to meet all our carbon/climate/whatever targets?

Who should I vote for if I make saving the planet my 100% voting reason? I am convinced by the argument that politely asking people to personally recycle and eat less meat won't do anything.

Or do I just go full on nihilism?
Well obviously the Green Party are the only political entity in this country with the health of the planet as a primary concern. Although people always scoff at that for some reason.

I find myself chucking plastic waste into the general waste bin more and more. Most of the stuff we put into green bins will just end up in an incinerator or landfill anyway. Washing a few yogurt pots is not going to save the planet.

The kids in the UK had a climate strike that made headlines, MP's took it seriously enough to debate it but not seriously enough to actually turn up

530.png

Does anyone on Thumped believe it's all hype and we'll all be fine? Or at least those in the west will be fine and you'd rather not think about anyone else?

Agreed, I've also sadly accepted that recycling is pretty defunct. I've been trying to make as many small changes as I can, bamboo toothbrushes, keep cup, not taking any plastic when offered, generally trying to keep my grocery shopping as zero waste as possible, i don't drive a car, and trying to be sustainable with my clothing choices. Its very hard, to be honest, and can be really expensive. I eat a LOT of vegebles, theyre a huge part of my diet, and its really frustrating seeing how much packaging they come in in most supermarkets (lidl and alid are clearly the most economical choice for buying veggies, but EVERYTHING is packaged there). I've found that for me, the only real way I've been able to reduce the dent in how much plastic I produce/cosnume, reducing and refusing. Cliche. its hard.

A lot of people kind of scoff at the "making small changes for yourself" and making ethical/conscientious choices with your money, and I get it, its hard to feel like anything you do on an individual level is impactful. That said, people used to say the same thing to me 5 years ago with veganism, like do you actually think you make any impact? And veganism has grown and grown because of the way people spend their money.

Anyway, clearly regulations would be far more impactful, but I think making the small changes in your own day to day life, and educating yourself as much as possible is helpful. It's super hard not to feel overwhelmed by the problem, so those lifestyle choices make me feel a little less swamped by how sad it all is.

Nothing wrong with making small changes yourself. I mean, you have no idea how many other people are doing the same. It's like when a band you thought nobody else knew about announces a gig and the thing sells out in 5 minutes.

Agreed, I've also sadly accepted that recycling is pretty defunct. I've been trying to make as many small changes as I can, bamboo toothbrushes, keep cup, not taking any plastic when offered, generally trying to keep my grocery shopping as zero waste as possible, and trying to be sustainable with my clothing choices. Its very hard, to be honest, and can be really expensive. I eat a LOT of vegebles, theyre a huge part of my diet, and its really frustrating seeing how much packaging they come in in most supermarkets (lidl and alid are clearly the most economical choice for buying veggies, but EVERYTHING is packaged there). I've found that for me, the only real way I've been able to reduce the dent in how much plastic I produce/cosnume, reducing and refusing. Cliche. its hard.

A lot of people kind of scoff at the "making small changes for yourself" and making ethical/conscientious choices with your money, and I get it, its hard to feel like anything you do on an individual level is impactful. That said, people used to say the same thing to me 5 years ago with veganism, like do you actually think you make any impact? And veganism has grown and grown because of the way people spend their money.

Anyway, clearly regulations would be far more impactful, but I think making the small changes in your own day to day life, and educating yourself as much as possible is helpful. It's super hard not to feel overwhelmed by the problem, so those lifestyle choices make me feel a little less swamped by how sad it all is.
I've made pretty much all these changes myself, ok i'm not vegan but i've been vegetarian since forever and tbh half my food is vegan as it is. I don't scoff at the idea that making changes in your life is good for the planet but in order to make all of the changes above you have to be relatively privileged in the first place .

I guess the fear is that making small changes in your own life and ignoring the wider realities of politics/regulation (and, I dunno, WAR) allows you to go "well I did my part" and not think about anyone else.

that is to say
af8.jpg

Now I know you know all this but it seems that 30 odd years of hoping people cop on has gotten us to the point where maybe the majority of those under 30 right now are doing the right thing for the planet, but waiting for everyone else to die and the demographics to fix the issue is no longer a viable option because we're out of time.

Or tell me why i'm wrong. I'm happy to be wrong on this one. I completely agree that telling people what to do is likely to turn them the other way and if the majority of people are going to do the right thing it's not going to happen through scolding them into it.

I've made pretty much all these changes myself, ok i'm not vegan but i've been vegetarian since forever and tbh half my food is vegan as it is. I don't scoff at the idea that making changes in your life is good for the planet but in order to make all of the changes above you have to be relatively privileged in the first place .

I guess the fear is that making small changes in your own life and ignoring the wider realities of regulation (and, I dunno, WAR) allows you to go "well I did my part" and not think about anyone else.

that is to say
af8.jpg

Now I know you know all this but it seems that 30 odd years of hoping people cop on has gotten us to the point where maybe the majority of those under 30 right now are doing the right thing for the planet, but waiting for everyone else to die and the demographics to fix the issue is no longer a viable option because we're out of time.

Or tell me why i'm wrong. I'm happy to be wrong on this one. I completely agree that telling people what to do is likely to turn them the other way and if the majority of people are going to do the right thing it's not going to happen through scolding them into it.

Okkkkkkk my comment wasn't directed at you, I'm not sure of any part of what I said that indicated that it was, so I'm unsure about the tone (i get italics) of the above.?

I agree with everything you've said, my post was really just my chiming in to say that in the overwhleming doom of it all, I've found the small changes have made me feel little bit less like I'm drowning.

Okkkkkkk my comment wasn't directed at you, I'm not sure of any part of what I said that indicated that it was, so I'm unsure about the tone (i get italics) of the above.?

I agree with everything you've said, my post was really just my chiming in to say that in the overwhleming doom of it all, I've found the small changes have made me feel little bit less like I'm drowning.

ah no, I'm just going overboard in case you thought i was attacking you. I'm just seeing the argument through and hoping someone will tell me why i'm wrong and IT'S ALL GONNA BE OK : (

What?! Veg is almost the cheapest thing you can buy.
Not true in America but also knowing how to make veg taste decent is arguably more expensive than cheap meat. Also, veg being cheap is fuppin European privilege isn't it? These things are supposed to be seasonal. I remember the price of peppers varying from about one euro for three to around nine euro for three when I was in New Zealand, depending on the season.

In terms of being a futile pathetice lump of flesh with little or no direct input into important matters, i do think there is a huge value in directing conversations in a gentle way or sharing information now and again as method gently refocusing the overton window.

Last year me and the gf went off plastic for lent. maybe an 80% success rate. This year I'm attempting to not use the car for going to work (i know, i do that a fair bit already), just not going to chicken out on weather this year. You city folk are already doing a lot by living in a large commune, as opposed to being in car commuter belt that dominates the sticks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back