I'm going to buy a record player................... (1 Viewer)

nah turntables are gonna be way cheaper. I think my turntable was about 250. I got a deal on the pre-amp (Denon pma-2000-iv-r). It's great.
This will be a few months of saving so. Any more recommendations would be good

Compare prices here with richer sounds in Belfast. They will ship for free and get anything from their UK stores. The one I got was €450ish in all the ROI shops and €250ish from there.

That free shipping could potentially not last,but then the exchange rate could change

Just bought a Rega Planar 3 (turntable) on ebay for 240 quid. They sell new for 800 or so. The catch is that it doesn't work - but I'm fairly confident it can be fixed easily by the dude in the Hifi Hospital in Kells (who I totally recommend) and then I'll have a totally kick-ass turntable to go with my recently refurbished amp.

Here's hoping anyway ...

So I'm going to upgrade my turntable. Anyone want to buy my one? I actually have two.

1.Project debut ll - this is the one that doesn't have a preamp so you need a phono input on your amp or a preamp. One problem - I took off the hinges on the cover so you lift it completely off and on. No big deal. Just slightly annoying. 100 quid.

2. Similar to above but it's the version with the preamp and has got less usage. 150 quid.

Any takers? In Dublin 8.

Do you still have the second record player?

I’m hoping to upgrade my turntable this year some stage. Been using a really shitty steepletone one for the last few years that plays my records a bit too fast. Which can be kind of fun in a way

Do you still have the second record player?

I’m hoping to upgrade my turntable this year some stage. Been using a really shitty steepletone one for the last few years that plays my records a bit too fast. Which can be kind of fun in a way

Hey. Yes, I do. You interested? I'm actually using it at the moment while I'm waiting to get the Rega and it will probably take 2 weeks to get the Rega fixed (assuming all is good there). I might be willing to let it go then .....

Hey. Yes, I do. You interested? I'm actually using it at the moment while I'm waiting to get the Rega and it will probably take 2 weeks to get the Rega fixed (assuming all is good there). I might be willing to let it go then .....

I might be alright. Sure give me a shout when you get your other Rega sorted. Could I just run that straight in to an auxiliary port on a speaker?

I might be alright. Sure give me a shout when you get your other Rega sorted. Could I just run that straight in to an auxiliary port on a speaker?

Yes, I think so. I run it into the Aux port on my amp so I suppose if the speaker has one then that's basically the same thing. I'll let you know when I'm looking to offload it...

I was thinking of upgrading the turntable as well.....I don't know why. To much time reading audiophile forums & looking at videos on youtube. It starts to play tricks on the mind. :rolleyes:

I still have the Rega RP1 with upgrades. I will probably just buy a new cartridge. Its on it over 3 years now. I have the rega elys 2 MM cartridge. €149 from hifi hut. That was big money for me to spend on a cartridge. I was thinking of upgrading to next one, the exact MM cartridge. Its €319....crazy prices for these things. Too much. The price gouging in the turntable paraphernalia market is terrible.

I just dropped the Rega into the Hifi hospital so waiting for them to get back to me about it. Stupidly I forgot that it doesn't have a cartridge so I'll have to shell out for that too.

I had an interesting chat with the guy who runs it. He told me that they run audiophile courses and he always meets dudes (always dudes) who have shelled out thousands and thousands on gear but have bought totally mismatched components. Or who coikd hugely improve the sound of their system by just repositioning the speakers.

I read the Steve Hoffman forum. There are blokes spending thousands on audio equipment. Every component of their set up is scrutinized and upgraded. The turntable, the cartridge, the tone arm, the platter, the slip mat, the speaker cable, the speakers, speaker stands, record clamps, phono pre-amp, cleaning machines, the best plastic sleeves, acoustic treatment of rooms etc, etc. And then the records have to be the exact pressing, usually the one that's out of print & €300 on eBay.

Stevehoffman forum is a good laugh. I'm not a member but I read it now and then if i'm looking to know which version of the 8 million compilations by an artist is worth getting or just want to read boomers talk about the Beatles and Toto for a while.

I read the Steve Hoffman forum. There are blokes spending thousands on audio equipment. Every component of their set up is scrutinized and upgraded. The turntable, the cartridge, the tone arm, the platter, the slip mat, the speaker cable, the speakers, speaker stands, record clamps, phono pre-amp, cleaning machines, the best plastic sleeves, acoustic treatment of rooms etc, etc. And then the records have to be the exact pressing, usually the one that's out of print & €300 on eBay.

I don’t think I will ever have or want that much spare time

Stevehoffman forum is a good laugh. I'm not a member but I read it now and then if i'm looking to know which version of the 8 million compilations by an artist is worth getting or just want to read boomers talk about the Beatles and Toto for a while.

The permutations of threads on the SHMF about the beatles are endless.

Just bought a Rega Planar 3 (turntable) on ebay for 240 quid. They sell new for 800 or so. The catch is that it doesn't work - but I'm fairly confident it can be fixed easily by the dude in the Hifi Hospital in Kells (who I totally recommend) and then I'll have a totally kick-ass turntable to go with my recently refurbished amp.

Here's hoping anyway ...

Got a call from the doctor at the HiFi Hospital. It seems there are more things wrong with this than I thought ...... on a more positive note he is very excited about the arm. It turns out it's not the standard one but has been upgraded to something very fancy. Still waiting to hear the damage on the refurb though ....

Your thoughts and prayers are much appreciated at this difficult time.

Got a call from the doctor at the HiFi Hospital. It seems there are more things wrong with this than I thought ...... on a more positive note he is very excited about the arm. It turns out it's not the standard one but has been upgraded to something very fancy. Still waiting to hear the damage on the refurb though ....

Your thoughts and prayers are much appreciated at this difficult time.
I’m sure it will be worth it. I mean, you surely put a lot of hours in on a record player so it will only be fractions of pennies over the time you’ll use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back