BREXIT (23 Viewers)

I've stopped listening to George Monbiot, that Neil-Gaiman-looking prick, since he slagged off David Attenborough
He was 100% right to do so. Gave Attenborough the kick up the arse he needed who then went on to do that magnificent speech at the UN.

You're giving Monbiot credit for that?

/me looks suspicious
You don't think it was noticeable how he pulled his punches somewhat before all the scathing criticism (Monbiot wasn't the only one)? We'll never know of course, either way it was right to call on him to do more I fully believe that.

TBH I'm not really clued into popular culture enough to know one way or the other - last Attenborough thing I watched was Life of Mammals and I can hardly remember it.

I just ... well, you know the way people who are pretty much on the same side are so vitriolic with each other? For not being good enough? You see it mostly these days in "the left", but holy catholic Ireland was great at it too. I hate that. I know I can't change how people are, but anyone who indulges in it is a prick in my book

No deal is also a possibility because of MPs who oppose brexit out right they don't want any kind of brexit at all. Then you have labour who is trying to put as much pressure on the Torys as possible and Torys who want to pressure the EU "into the eleventh hour" no less. There is more than one reason why a no deal is being risked and even becoming more likely. There government is very split and deadlocked in allot of ways.

Last edited:
I just ... well, you know the way people who are pretty much on the same side are so vitriolic with each other? For not being good enough?
I take your point above, you don't want a divided front. But Attenborough was one of the only voices with the capability of actually being heard and taken seriously on a large scale. It must be incredibly frustrating as an environmentalist to have the figurehead of your profession giving a sanitised view of the state of things and studiously avoiding being an alarmist when alarm bells are ringing in every corner of the globe.

I have always been entranced by Attenborough’s wildlife programmes, but astonished by his consistent failure to mount a coherent, truthful and effective defence of the living world he loves. His revelation of the wonders of nature has been a great public service. But withholding the knowledge we need to defend it is, I believe, a grave disservice.
David Attenborough has betrayed the living world he loves | George Monbiot

Not sure what to make of Monbiot. He's written some great articles and done some very informative documentaries.
Attenborough is obviously brilliant, but it's worth remembering he was a television man before being a naturalist. For me his big achievement was stretching the boundaries of television.
I mean... if you want to be informed about the environment, Monbiot is a lot more informed than David Attenborough. Monbiot can be annoying, but he's well informed.

Monbiot was one of the main guests on Chris Packham's BBC4 night - so that was cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back