Steely Dan - Gaucho (1980) (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 168
  • Views 16K
  • Watchers 4
Queen were deadly. Both in their ridiculous hard rock mode (fucking “Ogre Battle”!) and in ridiculous stadium rock mode. Steely Dan are a pox.

I'm sure we both share many a-ground in the margins of the nether. So, let's not fall out over some inconsequential 70s rock issue.

As someone posted here years ago,

"No-one here is in Husker Du."

Similarly, no-one here is in Steely Dan, and more thankfully - ;p Queen. Fucking Queen. I'm at a loss.

Personally, Steely Dan are a continual draw with their tunes, low-key bombast and a consistent narrative that works "intertextually" to inform and interplay with their previous records. I think @hugh expressed some of my thoughts on their appeal. Anyway, anyway, I'm not trying to persuade anyone to get into them...

Currently listening to Zeni Geva's Alive and Rising. Rock on, in whichever form that may take.

No shortage of Steely Dans in 2019; Vulpeck, Lemon Twigs, Foxygen, they're basically the step after math rock, you either go steely dan or krautrock. There hasn't been another Freddie Mercury though.

Can't comment. Think any traditional "band" form carry-on in 2019... goodnight.

Haha, what an obnoxious shit I am.

Good live music never goes astray, and that can take any form, I guess.

I'm sure there are some interesting bands out there. I see good live rock or punk bands live, but I rarely listen to it at home.

Worse thing, this isn't close to being the best Steely Dan album, but it's still like some evil drug working positively in your system.

No, it's not their best by any means. But still great. I've never really listened to any of the later ones but Fagen's solo album The Nightfly is excellent to.

But really.. If you don't enjoy the song My Old School.... Something amiss there.

The Dan >> Queen. Obviously.

No, it's not their best by any means. But still great. I've never really listened to any of the later ones but Fagen's solo album The Nightfly is excellent to.

But really.. If you don't enjoy the song My Old School.... Something amiss there.

The Dan >> Queen. Obviously.

Genuinely think they are an interesting band that held a strong narrative throughout their discography - and hey, pick your favourite.

The Nightfly is class. Love that Fagen just continues his narrative.

There has to be something, eh, like integrity in that?

Albert Finney died last week. I just watched Alan Bates in Butley. Then I watched the interview features. Artists tied to what they're doing and a sense of existence of where they're coming from. You could feel where Bates was coming from.

Meanwhile Chris Pratt tweets about the latest Lego movie he's in INCESSANTLY. There's a gulf there in integrity and connection to reality.

I

No shortage of Steely Dans in 2019; Vulpeck, Lemon Twigs, Foxygen, they're basically the step after math rock, you either go steely dan or krautrock. There hasn't been another Freddie Mercury though.

Must check out vulpeck.... I like foxygen & lemon twigs. I don't hear a whole lot of steely Dan in either of those, just lots of Todd Rundgren.

I don't think the Queen, Steely Dan comparison is a good one. I love both bands but they're quite different. Queen were more accessible, a band of the people. The muso element of Steely Dan tends to turn off the casual listener. Their appeal is more selective...as they say in spinal tap.

True but both bands are total musos. With Queen it's mostly annoying (for me anyway). With Steely Dan, it's forgivable. Actually it's essential - they couldn't really be any other way. Having said that, I tend to prefer the records where they sound like a live band as opposed to the meticulous studio constructions.

Can't comment. Think any traditional "band" form carry-on in 2019... goodnight.

Haha, what an obnoxious shit I am.

Good live music never goes astray, and that can take any form, I guess.

I'm sure there are some interesting bands out there. I see good live rock or punk bands live, but I rarely listen to it at home.

Worse thing, this isn't close to being the best Steely Dan album, but it's still like some evil drug working positively in your system.
I take your point about the cool weird uncle but when you get to 18 the uncle who lets you drink around his gaff seems less cool when he's jailed for following a schoolgirl home. Nah, Steely Dan are frustrated virgin music, good at a certain point in your life if you find them but I wasn't aware of them as a pretentious teenager and they just sound lame to me at this age.

Must check out vulpeck.... I like foxygen & lemon twigs. I don't hear a whole lot of steely Dan in either of those, just lots of Todd Rundgren.

I don't think the Queen, Steely Dan comparison is a good one. I love both bands but they're quite different. Queen were more accessible, a band of the people. The muso element of Steely Dan tends to turn off the casual listener. Their appeal is more selective...as they say in spinal tap.
Ah yeah, I see a big crossover between Todd Rundgren and Steely Dan, or more their fans I guess. As for the Steely Dan/ Queen comparison, it was part of a larger argument Nate Champion selectively ignored.

When I was listening to Queen II yesterday it reminded me a lot of Todd Rundgren - not lyrically, but musically for sure. I'd never thought of it before. Sure, it's all good.

So any of the rest of my fellow nephew corrupting ageing frustrated virgins with schoolgirl fantasies going to see them later this month? I didn't even bother looking up the ticket prices this time around but the resurrection of this thread has got me thinking that I should go ... could be the last chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back