Campaign Name: Executive Officer in the Civil Service 2019
Campaign Link:
publicjobs.ie

Employing Department/Authority: DPER

Campaign Name: 6 X Executive Officer
Campaign Link:
publicjobs.ie

Employing Department/Authority: Higher Education Authority

Pete finds all the good jobs. I would love a 70k a year remote working job please.

It basically doesn't matter how much you earn past a certain level. I earn a fair bit more than this, I have for years and years, I can work remotely, I can turn up, or not turn up whenever I like. No one says a thing.

I don't because I'm terrified, but I was working in a different table (not my office) for months at one point because it was quiet and after *months* my boss suggested I'd show up once in a while. She thought I just wasn't showing up at all... for months.

It doesn't make any difference.

I'm still poor, in my mind I'm poor. I don't think I'll ever not be poor, regardless of how much money I might have or earn I have nothing. I'm still terrified to even buy a car because that's too much of a luxury for the likes of me. The worst slave is a slave that doesn't know they are owned and all that.

The job doesn't change things, nor does the money. It doesn't really matter.

You change things, or you don't (in my case). Either way it's you and not the job. Fuck the job. (And I honestly like my job.)

It basically doesn't matter how much you earn past a certain level. I earn a fair bit more than this, I have for years and years,

I'm still poor
)
You should try being poor

In my mind I'm poor.And also in my body,specifically the area around my pockets,

It basically doesn't matter how much you earn past a certain level. I earn a fair bit more than this, I have for years and years, I can work remotely, I can turn up, or not turn up whenever I like. No one says a thing.

I don't because I'm terrified, but I was working in a different table (not my office) for months at one point because it was quiet and after *months* my boss suggested I'd show up once in a while. She thought I just wasn't showing up at all... for months.

It doesn't make any difference.

I'm still poor, in my mind I'm poor. I don't think I'll ever not be poor, regardless of how much money I might have or earn I have nothing. I'm still terrified to even buy a car because that's too much of a luxury for the likes of me. The worst slave is a slave that doesn't know they are owned and all that.

The job doesn't change things, nor does the money. It doesn't really matter.

You change things, or you don't (in my case). Either way it's you and not the job. Fuck the job. (And I honestly like my job.)

Spend some of that money on therapy dude.

Yes, I wasn't being cheeky with that remark. I relate and am working on it.

Oh I wasn't doubting your sincerity at all. I've become a little evangelical about it, I don't try to push it on anyone or think that my experience of it would be the same for everyone, but I sort of think that pretty much everyone could get some benefit from it.

Last edited:
Spend some of that money on therapy dude.

Heh. Yeah, fair point.
I've tried it a few times, it didn't work. So far the only thing that works is the bike, and meds.

I suppose I'm not making the point very well. Obviously you need to have some money, I wasn't homeless so maybe I can't talk about being poor. But I'd be careful about thinking a "big" salary matters that much, in my experience it doesn't make a huge difference. I think there's lot of other things that can make a much bigger difference that might be much easier to achieve is what I'm trying to say.

I've kind of been in a self imposed web of anxiety about work this week. I'm 30 now, I make a decent enough salary, not like mad high or anything, but I think I'm doing OK for my age, and saving for a house, blah blah blah. But I also don't want to work in Tech at all. Its really easy to sort of find the years ticking by where you're comfortable, and not actively miserable in your job but definitely not fulfilled. I do a lot of other stuff in my personal time that does fulfill me I guess, and have creative aspirations...

Anyway, this week I've been having a lot of 3am flashes of "what are you doing with your life?" "Do you want to work in X company forever?" "Should you apply to that other job in the other massive tech shithole because then you're just paralell stepping the issue". I get these feelings every few months, but never really do anything about it. I guess its that annoying thing of like, if you get off the train you have to also sacrifice the other things you're saving for, and other bits of your life.

ANYWAY, this is all nonsense, and I bet everyone feels this way about their job. I'm def a work to live person and don't really have this almighty ambition to work in something that fulfills me (in fact I find that idea kinda miserable, would much rather have everything but work fulfill me), however I guess this is the only thing thats putting me in the stereotypical turning-30 crisis....

tldr: @jonah complains about being in a comfortable job she doesn't actively hate but still emos over because evil tech. Should she give up her dreams of owning a house and having enough expendible income to put into creative endeavors and family, or should she quit and retrain/become a gardener/grow vegetables/move to sligo and live off the land, somehow.

I blagged my way into a reasonable salary (a graduate position, started with a load of real slick 22 year old go getters) a few years ago at age 39. I'm still well below the CSO-listed average salary but all I want is to hold on to it, job fulfillment is a secondary concern at this stage. Old age is coming and I'm not prepared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back