Recently Purchased (2 Viewers)

Hardcore Devo demos are so amazing (surprised you even don't like them)
that it's fair to say the Virgin / Warners era was a slight let down.
Devo's early films/videos are still awesome too.
anyway i love 'em.

like George Clinton, the Residents have an off putting amount of material out there (where to start ?) so i haven't heard much of them but the 30 plus songs i know were all cool.
being influenced by the Residents is not a bad thing at all.

Hardcore Devo demos are so amazing (surprised you even don't like them)
that it's fair to say the Virgin / Warners era was a slight let down.
Devo's early films/videos are still awesome too.
anyway i love 'em.

like George Clinton, the Residents have an off putting amount of material out there (where to start ?) so i haven't heard much of them but the 30 plus songs i know were all cool.
being influenced by the Residents is not a bad thing at all.
I only know Devo’s major label stuff in fairness (and their performance in Human Highway). I’m happy to hear older stuff and be converted.

As for The Residents, the bulk of their back catalogue is complete crap. However, when they are good, they are something else. Meet The Residents and Duck Stab/Buster & Glen would be two good places to start. Really any of their 70s albums.

cheers Cornu.
also there is also a lot of Hardcore Devo era stuff unreleased.

Devo Ultracore 1974-77 :
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

a lot of this is far superior versions of songs that turned up on the first two LP's.

Edit: after much anguish link might be fixed...

Last edited:
I’m the opposite. The Residents are less accessible but they’re still really catchy. “Constantinople”, “Smelly Tongues”, and “Harry the Head” are all toe-tappers. Plus the eyeballs and tuxedos look is way cooler than red Lego hats and yellow boiler suits.
Fucking hell man, this isn't exactly Whip It

Oh and today I bought:
David Sylvian & Holger Czukar Plight & Premonition/Flux & Mutability 2LP
David Sylvian & Robert Fripp The First Day CD
any good? I drift in and out of Sylvian's solo career, sometimes it's wonderful other times it's just ponderous background music that he probably really enjoyed making. I'm not up on all his collabs though, do the other lads reign him in a bit? Or push it somewhere interesting?

The Norman Records description:

The Fernweh are a three-piece from Liverpool who play psych/folk/pop/rock that harks back to the late ‘60s/early ‘70s. Their music recalls Piper At The Gates Of Dawn-era Pink Floyd, The Moody Blues, Heron, The Trees and many Vertigo and Island bands of that era. Self-titled LP and CD on Skeleton Key.

any good? I drift in and out of Sylvian's solo career, sometimes it's wonderful other times it's just ponderous background music that he probably really enjoyed making. I'm not up on all his collabs though, do the other lads reign him in a bit? Or push it somewhere interesting?
I’m reading a biography of Sylvian’s post-Japan years and I’m listening to his albums as I go along. Some of the 80s stuff I find a bit weak, it picks up for me at Secrets of the Beehive but I only know a couple of things from after that. The one album I didn’t have that really stood out for me was the one with Czukay. It’s not really like a lot of Sylvian’s work (certainly not the stuff from that time). It’s all built up from studio improvising by Czukay so it has more of his stamp on it. I think it’s terrific, the kind of music you can sink into late at night and get lost in.

I haven’t listened to the one with Fripp yet, it wasn’t on streaming so I bought the CD. Apparently Fripp wanted Sylvian to join King Crimson as vocalist in the 90s but Sylvian didn’t want to commit. So they did an album together. Backed by the early 90s line-up of King Crimson, so not sure what to expect.

I listened to some of meet the residents & eskimo yesterday. I've heard bits of their stuff before.
I found it a bit of an endurance test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back