What was it like seeing Batman in theaters in 1989? (1 Viewer)

Jacobcullen

I've loved this movie since I was a little kid, but I was born in 1990, so I wasn't able to experience it in theaters. I've read quite a bit about the hype that surrounded this film in the summer of 1989 (Batmania) and am always interested in what it was like to be a part of it. For those who were, was it truly something special? Did it live up to the hype? Did it feel overrated? Was it nothing special?
Anyone and everyone who was lucky enough to see Batman when it first came out in 1989, share your experiences!

PrincePartyMan.png

can we keep this thread?

If I remember correctly there was a lot of merchandise that went with it especially with the batman logo the bat shape thing being so identifiable. Batman mug batman pencil batman t-shirt etc I think to point where it all where it became somewhat invasive like batman stuff was everywhere.

I still have one or two of the trading cards from the ONE bubblegum trading card pack I got. I remember that bubblegum stick :cry:

I didn't even see the film till it was available in the local rental store.

Last edited:
I didn't see it in the cinema. But I do remember that summer vividly. I was hanging around with someone who was obsessed with both REM and Prince and who was in a band and had a really hot girlfriend, even though he wasn't that hot.

And there was this really cute French student on our road (staying in the house of someone who is kind of Ireland-famous now) who we all fancied. She was from the Pyrenees and had an air of mystery surrounding her (which, in hindsight, wasn't mystery, it was that she didn't really speak english).

I remember him telling me that he couldn't bring himself to go and see it because he was terrified it would be terrible and that would make him think less of Prince.

We didn't stay friends for long.

It was also the summer the Berlin Wall came down, just FYI. I cared more about Batman than the Berlin wall back then. I was 15 that summer.

I saw it in the cinema upon release. This is one of those films where all your mates loved it so much that you sort of grin and through you teeth agreed with them. "yea, it's really good".

Really. I don't like it. I hate Jack as the Joker (hate all Jokers btw). I'd say it has dated horribly, it felt old even when it was new. The second film was better, good even.

I didn't see it in a theatre because I'm not American, I saw in the cinema. I remember thinking it was good and was impressed with Keaton as THE Batman, but wasn't overly impressed with Nicholson's OTT comedy routine as the joker, nor that much impressed with Basinger. My main draw to it was Tim Burton doing Batman. I haven't seen it in years though; it probably hasn't aged well.

I didn't see it in the cinema because I was 6 but I did buy it on video with my First Communion money. I remember my Grandad bought me a book on how the film was made which showed all the sketches from pre-production and stuff which was pretty cool. He also bought me one of the mugs which had The Joker on it. I dropped it a few years ago breaking the handle and burst into tears.

Anyway I love this film and have gone to see it in the cinema a few times in the last ten years or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back