What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (8 Viewers)

Oh yes, not looking for a book about grief, more something that can facilitate feeling in a tender way!
Two really lovely books I read recently, both by Japanese authors, might be worth considering too - The Travelling Cat Chronicles and The Housekeeper and The Professor. Both very charming and delicate, and dealing gently with delicate situations in their own way.

I started reading Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett last night; not really sure why other than that I spotted it in the library. After reading American Gods I wasn't in a hurry to get back to Gaiman, but Good Omens is proving to be quite chuckle worthy and I'm only a few chapters in!

Two really lovely books I read recently, both by Japanese authors, might be worth considering too - The Travelling Cat Chronicles and The Housekeeper and The Professor. Both very charming and delicate, and dealing gently with delicate situations in their own way.
I absolutely adored the Travelling Cat Chronicles <3

I'm really enjoying it! It's great though sad, cruel, a bit shocking, but dammit I'm sort of caring about this character! It's very funny too. Did you read it / like it??

Yes, me and Katie were going back and forth disagreeing (nicely lol) about it a few pages back. I was team hate, she team love.

Yes, me and Katie were going back and forth disagreeing (nicely lol) about it a few pages back. I was team hate, she team love.
Ah ok; I seem to recall some discussion but I wasn't sure where. I'm not far off the end, but I'd love to be able to chat with others who've read it once I'm finished. There's a lot to "unpack" in it, shall we say.

The Book of Strange New Things by Michael Faber. A Christian missionary leaves his wife to preach the word of Jesus to a race of aliens on a distant planet while earth suffers a series of cataclysms. This is brilliant. The descriptions of the aliens and their planet are incredibly weird and evocative. Much better than Under the Skin, I thought.

+1 to this, it's such an astoundingly original premise. The biology of it was pretty implausible is the only thing, tended to put me off a bit

@snakybus I started "The Dispossessed" by Ursula K. Le Guin a few days ago on audiobook. Strange kind of a book so far, reminds me a bit of the only Heinlein book I've read

This morning I just finished Educated by Tara Westover - woman raised in a fundamentalist Mormon family by a bipolar dad, goes on to do a Ph.D. in Cambridge. Pretty Fucking Insane. Great read, would recommend

@snakybus I started "The Dispossessed" by Ursula K. Le Guin a few days ago on audiobook. Strange kind of a book so far, reminds me a bit of the only Heinlein book I've read
Cool. The Dispossessed is great and really gains thematic momentum as it goes along. The ideas stay with you. She's starkly original. Don't really see the similarity with Heinlein but I've also only read one book by him.

Just finished "The Poisonwood Bible", finally, it took me about 10 days to read, which is very slow for me. But I devoured every word. Barbara Kingsolver is just a fantastic writer, in my opinion. I loved the Lacuna, but I LOVED the Poisonwood Bible. I would pretty much eat everything she's ever written. If I'm being critical, I would say that the book could have been 100 pages shorter (its just over 600), because everything that happened after
Orleana and Adah left the Congo
just kind of felt a bit epilogue.

41yUwgseMzL._SX353_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I read this last night a small book a bit taller than a mug with a large font and illustrations. I suppose it's a children's book really and I haven't even finished it which shows you how bad my reading habits are. It's pretty good though and probably historically accurate.

I had a couple of days off sick, so was stuck into a few good reads -
Northline by Willy Vlautin - bought this at The Delines gig in Liberty Hall last Friday, and loved it
Ghost Wall - Sarah Moss: a good read, quite a slim book, not much depth to it but enjoyable

Normal People - Sally Rooney: Didn't get the praise for this one at all - cipher-like characters, a story that never really ends up anywhere satisfactory, un-believable turns of events (more plot points than any actual narrative development) and too much telling, not showing.

Bad News - Edward St Aubyn: the 2nd Patrick Melrose novel; very dark, a bit harrowing, but whip smart and blackly funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back