What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (2 Viewers)

A Gentleman in Moscow

it's shite so far, but it doesn't take itself too seriously so i may be able to breeze through it yet.
Still not finished it but i've read enough to confirm that it is indeed shit.

Sexless, fawning propaganda written for the perpetually middle-aged who like to tuck their shirt into their jeans and reminisce about back when men were men.

Finished "The Death of the Heart" by Elizabeth Bowen. 4/5. Was expecting it to be a book I'd LOVE. I really enjoyed it, she's clearly a fantastic writer, and I thought Portia was fantastic, but I didn't quite get the dark edge I was hoping for when I'd read it described as the "gritty dark version of I Capture the Castle". But yeah, good read, must read some more Bowen.

Devil's Day by Andrew Michael Hurley. Teacher returns to his hometown to bury his grandfather and help out on the family farm and gets caught up in mysterious folk horror style shenanigans. This is by the author of The Loney and has a similar creepy atmosphere where supernatural things may or may not be occurring but it's left up to the reader to decide. very good

Devil's Day by Andrew Michael Hurley. Teacher returns to his hometown to bury his grandfather and help out on the family farm and gets caught up in mysterious folk horror style shenanigans. This is by the author of The Loney and has a similar creepy atmosphere where supernatural things may or may not be occurring but it's left up to the reader to decide. very good
I bought the loney there the other day, will be getting to it soon.

Finished "The Death of the Heart" by Elizabeth Bowen. 4/5. Was expecting it to be a book I'd LOVE. I really enjoyed it, she's clearly a fantastic writer, and I thought Portia was fantastic, but I didn't quite get the dark edge I was hoping for when I'd read it described as the "gritty dark version of I Capture the Castle". But yeah, good read, must read some more Bowen.
Yo BURKE, I need new books, recommend me some? That We've Always Lived in the Castle looks great.

Yo BURKE, I need new books, recommend me some? That We've Always Lived in the Castle looks great.

We have always lived in the castle is FANTASTIC. I adore Shirley Jackson, can recommend wholeheartedly.

I've a crate of books to get rid of, will pick some of the best ones out tomorrow for you!

We have always lived in the castle is FANTASTIC. I adore Shirley Jackson, can recommend wholeheartedly.

I've a crate of books to get rid of, will pick some of the best ones out tomorrow for you!
<3 <3 <3 I got Becks Strange Weather in Tokyo for her birthday. I assume you've read?

I've been on a Shirley Jackson buzz recently and all the ones I've read (Hill House, Castle, Hangsaman) have all been excellent.

I've been on a Shirley Jackson buzz recently and all the ones I've read (Hill House, Castle, Hangsaman) have all been excellent.
I picked up a book of short stories, excited to read. Also got Isherwood's A Single Man.

Yep, she's incredible. I really, really love her, I would probably say she's one of my favourite writers. And Merricat Blackwood is an AWESOME protagonist.

"Eleanor Vance was thirty-two years old when she came to Hill House. The only person in the world she genuinely hated, now that her mother was dead, was her sister."

Shirley Jackson, Haunting Of Hill House, p. 6.

I rest my case.

I don't deny that it starts off great.

I'll read it again at some point, I just found it a massive, massive, letdown after We Have Always Lived in the Castle.

and her short stories for that matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back