Minor complaints thread (22 Viewers)

Guuuuuys, can a non-human be a slave? Are they aware of their own slavery? Do they yearn to be free? I'm sure they're aware their life is shit in a factory farm but i'm not sure how far it goes. Is your pet dog a slave?

Also, I can't imagine how this would be linked to the nausea, but I've also been getting electric shocks from everything I touch for about the same amount of time... whats happening to me guys

Also, I can't imagine how this would be linked to the nausea, but I've also been getting electric shocks from everything I touch for about the same amount of time... whats happening to me guys
That's most likely your shoes! And that you're Electric.

Is true. Is there a level or form of animal farming that is not slavery in your book?
I don't really have a strongly-held conviction on this tbh, it's more me trying to untangle a bunch of guilty feelings

... but I think animal husbandry would be at its most humane if animals were separated from each other at what would be natural separation stages in their lives. As far as I'm aware cattle in the wild live in nursery herds, bachelor herds and as solitary bulls - so the (male) meat calves should only be taken from their nursery herds when they would naturally leave anyway.

Apparently in New Zealand cows are impregnated and the calves aborted to stimulate milk production, instead of shipping them off for veal like we do here. Irish farmers abhor this, but to me it seems more humane in a way

Basically I feel least bad about what we do to animals if it meant they lived more or less as they would in the wild, except for with better disease control, better food, less predation

I’m on board with most of this. The “well something else will consume it” bit less so and I think it kind of ties in with the plastics issue. Meat has gone from being something you included with less frequency than other foods to something that is essential to a meal for many people (“I am not able to get full without a steak or chicken breast LOL!”). This is partly because supermarkets have driven consumers towards prepackaged “easy” cuts and going to a butcher is now much less common. As such, you have a reinforcing cycle where:
1) People are removed from the source of their food by a couple of psychological steps (it is a homogenous thing in a box).
2) They don’t interact with the person who knows about the meat (“I don’t know if I like liver, what would you recommend I do with it”).
3) It’s yet another way that food is transported over large distances unnecessarily.
4) And another source of plastic waste.

I would much rather have less meat (and pay more)and have it come from somewhere local, with decent living standards for the animals, and have it in a reusable/compostable container than the current situation.

On a related note, how come you can buy free range chickens and free range chicken breasts but not free range wings or drumsticks? Where do the wings/legs of the chickens they use for the breasts go?
Free range/organic brings it's own issues however. Particularly with regard to land as you need more of it and thus need to clear more of the natural forest/habitat etc. Also the conditions still aren't always a whole lot better:
Sustainable farming dilemma: should we be helping the chicken or fixing the egg?

Users who are viewing this thread

• M
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back