Recommend me some Jazz (1 Viewer)

new album, binah, from these guys as part of zorn's book beriah 11 c.d. set. not sure if it'll be available as a stand-alone release.

@travispickle and anyone who digs mingus...

this has been scratching that itch for me of late. was in the running for my best of 2016 until i realised it was released in late '15. at its best, it captures mingus's cacophanous spirit but still swings like fluffy dice through a chicane.
The Spike Orchestra
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is absolutely fucking sensational

i picked these up recently, liking them both a lot. 70's jazz/fusion, basically, the both of them. buster williams played bass for herbie hancock and eddie henderson, among others. the music on pinnacle has a groove in much the same way eddie henderson's records do. this one i like best of the two. the larry young one is great too though - organ based. i need to listen to them more, but i'd recommend them both at this point.

R-2562946-1290605855.jpeg.jpg

R-2201261-1332222876.jpeg.jpg

i picked these up recently, liking them both a lot. 70's jazz/fusion, basically, the both of them. buster williams played bass for herbie hancock and eddie henderson, among others. the music on pinnacle has a groove in much the same way eddie henderson's records do. this one i like best of the two. the larry young one is great too though - organ based. i need to listen to them more, but i'd recommend them both at this point.

R-2562946-1290605855.jpeg.jpg

R-2201261-1332222876.jpeg.jpg
I've just listened to both of these..excellent recommendations!

The Larry Young album is fairly out to lunch but its a refreshing listen

I finally got to see Dr Terror's House of Terrors the other night. There is a segment where Roy Castle steals a tune he overhears at a Voodoo ceremony ( and lives to regret it). He jazzes it up and plays in his jazz club. Bad things happen. It's a fantastic tune. Roy released a version with him singing over it but the instrumental version was rediscovered and re-released by Trunk records in 2009. It was limited to only 666 copies. It's available on Discogs for about 40 euros.

Voodoo

This is The Wire's top album of 2018, and it's fantastic stuff. A little off what's been recommended above, but still jazz.

I listened to that when it came out..wasn't overly impressed. Might give it another spin though

I finally got to see Dr Terror's House of Terrors the other night. There is a segment where Roy Castle steals a tune he overhears at a Voodoo ceremony ( and lives to regret it). He jazzes it up and plays in his jazz club. Bad things happen. It's a fantastic tune. Roy released a version with him singing over it but the instrumental version was rediscovered and re-released by Trunk records in 2009. It was limited to only 666 copies. It's available on Discogs for about 40 euros.

Voodoo

That’s deadly, right up my street. The drums are particularly good.

I listened to that when it came out..wasn't overly impressed. Might give it another spin though
I’ve been streaming it a good bit and finally bought the LP (two minutes ago on the way to work). I’d put it in my top 5 of the year. (Which I’ll post soon, I’m sure you’re all waiting on it.)

This is a free-jazz record Akira Sakata made with the rhythm section from The Thing in 2014.

It's pretty hectic.

i just picked up this one from 2018:

1548419435457.png

moody 70's inspired jazz. right up my alley. loving it!

i had one fantastic tune already by tenderlonious on this comp (more in a house vein): 1548419762703.png

...otherwise, i had completely slept on tenderlonious/ruby rushton. supposedly they have produced better albums than this one; people compare this one less favorably to others. if so, good news.

in any case, check out the shakedown. top quality stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back