Jaysus cycling! (4 Viewers)

Having not cycled in a month I just knocked 5 mins off my trip too the supermarket without even hardly breaking a sweat and never gassed.Only thing holding me back was my legs. Was pretty chilly in the headwind too which was nice when I got warmed up

40k in 1.24

I seriously doubt I'll get it much lower very soon.I'd say itll be all incremental from here on out

Moral of the story..running makes you fit as fuck. Plus with my new shrunken belly I could stay on the drops comfortably

They have track pumps in Lidl for 6.99..I'm gonna pick one up.
Pumping 100psi with a hand pump is too much of a workout

Being no longer responsible for getting anyone to school in the mornings I'm freed up to cycle into work. 12.5K each way. 45 or so minutes at a leisurely pace. A big chunk of it through Phoenix Park. I now arrive in work in a good mood as opposed to a foul one. I got pissed on coming home today but even that was fine. Not sure I'll be able to keep it up when the weather gets really shit but we'll see ....

i don't typically have a problem with taxi drivers myself - i find them to be more aware of whats going on around them than most. this is shocking all the same - what an absolute prick:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

mind you, it's not like anything will get done about it. name and shame on social media seems to be the about the best you can get these days

i was soooo close to getting wiped out by some arsehole in a van this morning, myself...

Finished this at the weekend.

document/diary/guide on self guided cycling in southern Spain. more pictures than words. Before i did the trip i read a lot of these kinda things so I figured I'd add another to the infinite data mound.

Andalusia

I’m looking for new bike recommendations as my bike was stolen. I’m more upset about losing the parts than the frame, but it was a buildout from a Fuji Feather (steel frame, single speed) with low riser bars in place of the track bars.
I want something similar, steel frame, flat bars but maybe less agressive than previous, 28 mm rims, and open to gears. Mostly used for 20 k daily round trip commute. Would want to spend less than €800.

I'm having upper back pain and very stiff thighs, ham strings and legs in general. Cycling twice a day. What am I doing wrong? Think my bike is slightly small for me...

I'm having upper back pain and very stiff thighs, ham strings and legs in general. Cycling twice a day. What am I doing wrong? Think my bike is slightly small for me...
I doubt the upper back pain is related to the cycling. Lower back pain would be. Unless you carry a heavy bag.
The legs issues could deffo be because of the bike being a bit too small, though cycling doesn't really put that much pressure on the hammers (which is why a lot of folk do their hamstring rehab on a bike).
You might just have posture issues. If, when you're cycling, you can feel more pressure on those areas than seems normal, deffo try adjusting what you can on the back (raise the sadde, handlebars, if they're adjustable).

Sore thighs would be normal enough for a cyclist. I'd suggest doing a stretch routine for 10-15 minutes every other day. I do 40 mins stretching 3 or 4 times a week. It's amazing, and will do you the world of good too.

I doubt the upper back pain is related to the cycling. Lower back pain would be. Unless you carry a heavy bag.
The legs issues could deffo be because of the bike being a bit too small, though cycling doesn't really put that much pressure on the hammers (which is why a lot of folk do their hamstring rehab on a bike).
You might just have posture issues. If, when you're cycling, you can feel more pressure on those areas than seems normal, deffo try adjusting what you can on the back (raise the sadde, handlebars, if they're adjustable).

Sore thighs would be normal enough for a cyclist. I'd suggest doing a stretch routine for 10-15 minutes every other day. I do 40 mins stretching 3 or 4 times a week. It's amazing, and will do you the world of good too.
That's a relief to know about upper back. That's a separate, ongoing issue, Probably is being made worse but not the cause.

I need to stretch more. I do about 10 minutes in the evening but I need to incorporate it into morning routine!

Regarding posture, I never know what the correct cycling posture is - should I be bent over, upright? And yeah I do have a back-pack. Need to get paneers.

Regarding posture, I never know what the correct cycling posture is - should I be bent over, upright? And yeah I do have a back-pack. Need to get paneers.

well, I meant posture issues in general. It could be from slouching, from muscles being stronger in one part of your body than another, having collapsed foot arches, etc. Worth getting it checked by a physio if you can manage it.

With cycling, it depends on the bike you cycle, and it's geometry. You don't want to overreach with your arms, and you don't want to either over or under reach with your legs. It's no kind of answer, but you need to be comfortable. Back should be straight as possible, arms just under full stretch, and when you cycle you're legs shouldn't fully straighten, but you don't want to be kneeing yourself in the chest on the upstroke either.

The upper back thing - that could happen on a bike if you find yourself pulling the bars too much/hard, but it's something you'd only generally see with people who cycle longer distances than an average commute.

Doing some stretches before and after would be the normal or recommended sport/fitness thing

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

well, I meant posture issues in general. It could be from slouching, from muscles being stronger in one part of your body than another, having collapsed foot arches, etc. Worth getting it checked by a physio if you can manage it.

With cycling, it depends on the bike you cycle, and it's geometry. You don't want to overreach with your arms, and you don't want to either over or under reach with your legs. It's no kind of answer, but you need to be comfortable. Back should be straight as possible, arms just under full stretch, and when you cycle you're legs shouldn't fully straighten, but you don't want to be kneeing yourself in the chest on the upstroke either.

The upper back thing - that could happen on a bike if you find yourself pulling the bars too much/hard, but it's something you'd only generally see with people who cycle longer distances than an average commute.
I'm cycling 10 minutes to work, ten minutes back, so not really a lot. I think its the bike being too small. Will definitely try get it adjusted.

Thanks for the awesome tips!

I'm on a waiting list for physio. Hopefully I'll be called soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back