Coffee (1 Viewer)

Coffee is best enjoyed

• Total voters
Yeah had heard about keeping the lid up alright. Will try boiling the water first and keeping the temperature down. How light is a lighter coffee. I asked the dude in 250 square to recommend beans for a moka pot and what he gave me was discusting. Very bitter.

Use a teatowel to hold the moka after you’ve poured the boiled water in because the motherfucker is impossible to close otherwise without burning the fuck out of one’s hand(S)

Anyone try an aeropress?

Yeah I used one for a couple of years and quite liked what I got from it but I eventually moved on to ...

Anyone have one of those pour over filter ones?

A hario v60, I like the coffee out of it so much that I order a filter coffee now when I'm in a fancy coffee place like clement and pekoe.

You really need to get a narrow spouted pouring kettle for it though if you're going to use one. And a scales too, both can be got quite cheaply.

I got mad into long blacks while living in New Zealand. Can't get a decent one over here.

Yeah I used one for a couple of years and quite liked what I got from it but I eventually moved on to ...

A hario v60, I like the coffee out of it so much that I order a filter coffee now when I'm in a fancy coffee place like clement and pekoe.

You really need to get a narrow spouted pouring kettle for it though if you're going to use one. And a scales too, both can be got quite cheaply.
I just had a look at the hario on youtube..too much work . FWIW I too prefer filter coffee.

They have a single cup filter machine in Lidl at the min..think I might pick one up and give it a shot

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
I just had a look at the hario on youtube..too much work . FWIW I too prefer filter coffee.

They have a single cup filter machine in Lidl at the min..think I might pick one up and give it a shot

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The aeropress is a piece of piss to use, and the coffee out of it is good. It probably isn't worth the extra effort for me to use the hario (though I do like it) but I do anyway, like a sucker.

I like the fact that you can sling the aeropress in your bag and have good coffee anywhere theres a kettle

Feck it..I'm getting one

Yeah we both have aeropresses and pour over thingy when having more than 2 cups and a scales thingy, and a ceramic bean grinder with variable settings depending on what you’re making it with. We can has ponce.
The missus worked in a fancy coffee place so is in the know for what makes stuff taste good

I've found standard Lavazza to be fine but the thing i was reading actually recommended much, much lighter stuff.

If it starts to boil/spurts and you don't immediately reduce the heat it only takes about 5-10 seconds for the coffee to burn and be ruined (to be dramatic about it).
Water for coffee should be around 96 degrees. Not enough to extract the nice flavours but once it reaches boiling you start extracting those molecules that bring on the bitterness/burnt toast flavour. You can buy fancy electric kettles for pour over coffees that maintain the temperature just below boiling, mad expensive though.

Yes to all this. Coffee Angel do a pouring kettle for about €20 which I use. I bring to the boil and leave it a minute or so before using so as not to burn the coffee. We needed a new scales for baking and got a Heston Blumenthal one that has two balances, one for normal weighing (1 g accuracy up to 10 kg; 0.1 g accuracy up to 200 g) which is ideal for coffee and cheaper than the coffee scales I’ve seen in town.

Though I know good coffee is expensive, I really can’t go back to cheap beans now. I go to Coffee Angel, 3FE or similar to buy a bag of beans which lasts me about a week and a half (I make one coffee most days and then might make 2-3 each day at the weekend). Bags are 250 g and you need just over 15 g a coffee if doing a 250 ml pour over.

Water for coffee should be around 96 degrees. Not enough to extract the nice flavours but once it reaches boiling you start extracting those molecules that bring on the bitterness/burnt toast flavour. You can buy fancy electric kettles for pour over coffees that maintain the temperature just below boiling, mad expensive though.
well there you go. The science behind my culture.

Are they not just an Americano? Maybe with not a lot of water
Made well they're quite different but yeah they're about 50% coffee and 50% water. It's something to do with putting in the water before the coffee though.

The perfect long black

I had heard that an Americanism was a drink invented for GIs based in Italy. They were disgusted that they were only being served “small coffees” (i.e. an espresso) so the Italians topped them up with water and charged them double. Classic.

Yes to all this. Coffee Angel do a pouring kettle for about €20 which I use. I bring to the boil and leave it a minute or so before using so as not to burn the coffee. We needed a new scales for baking and got a Heston Blumenthal one that has two balances, one for normal weighing (1 g accuracy up to 10 kg; 0.1 g accuracy up to 200 g) which is ideal for coffee and cheaper than the coffee scales I’ve seen in town.

Though I know good coffee is expensive, I really can’t go back to cheap beans now. I go to Coffee Angel, 3FE or similar to buy a bag of beans which lasts me about a week and a half (I make one coffee most days and then might make 2-3 each day at the weekend). Bags are 250 g and you need just over 15 g a coffee if doing a 250 ml pour over.

I find 30g for 500ml way too weak.
I think we tend to double that amount of coffee for pour over but gives us about 3 servings total (about 64g I think)

Using the aeropress I usually just used three heaped teaspoons of ground coffee. Usually use basic beams for weekdays and 3fe / badger n dodo type pricier blends for wknd poncing

I find 30g for 500ml way too weak.
I think we tend to double that amount of coffee for pour over but gives us about 3 servings total (about 64g I think)

Using the aeropress I usually just used three heaped teaspoons of ground coffee. Usually use basic beams for weekdays and 3fe / badger n dodo type pricier blends for wknd poncing
It depends on how you’re doing the pour over I think. I heat the v60, filter and mug/server with hot water. I put the coffee (15 g ground beans) in the filter and get my stopwatch ready. I empty the hot water from the mug/server and pop the whole thing on my scales. Then I add the water at the following times:
0 seconds: 30 ml
30 seconds: 70 ml (100 ml total)
60 seconds: 50 ml (150 ml total)
90 seconds: 50 ml (200 ml total)
120 seconds: 50 ml (250 ml total)

Then I leave it until the last of the water goes through. When adding the water, it’s a slow pour starting in the centre and spiral out to the sides (making sure to wash any coffee on the side back down into the water). This way it breaks up the coffee and ensures it gets a good chance for the flavour to be extracted.

(The method is how 3FE do it in their coffee classes, and quantities and times are similar in Coffee Angel.)

It depends on how you’re doing the pour over I think. I heat the v60, filter and mug/server with hot water. I put the coffee (15 g ground beans) in the filter and get my stopwatch ready. I empty the hot water from the mug/server and pop the whole thing on my scales. Then I add the water at the following times:
0 seconds: 30 ml
30 seconds: 70 ml (100 ml total)
60 seconds: 50 ml (150 ml total)
90 seconds: 50 ml (200 ml total)
120 seconds: 50 ml (250 ml total)

Then I leave it until the last of the water goes through. When adding the water, it’s a slow pour starting in the centre and spiral out to the sides (making sure to wash any coffee on the side back down into the water). This way it breaks up the coffee and ensures it gets a good chance for the flavour to be extracted.

(The method is how 3FE do it in their coffee classes, and quantities and times are similar in Coffee Angel.)
Oh and for 500 ml I double the quantities but keep the times the same.

I had heard that an Americanism was a drink invented for GIs based in Italy. They were disgusted that they were only being served “small coffees” (i.e. an espresso) so the Italians topped them up with water and charged them double. Classic.
Insomnia, and maybe other places, still do it. A large is just a regular with a bit more water and a higher price.

I get the GI's complaint though, it's like getting a sambuca when you just wanted to sit down with a pint

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back