Folk Horror (3 Viewers)

Also, Robert Aickman. Not necessarily pure folk horror per se but elements of folk horror filter into some of his stories. There are three paperback collections published I think by Faber that are magnificent. He is a spectacular author, probably master of the strange and unsettling.

Also, Robert Aickman. Not necessarily pure folk horror per se but elements of folk horror filter into some of his stories. There are three paperback collections published I think by Faber that are magnificent. He is a spectacular author, probably master of the strange and unsettling.
I can’t remember which one of them has the story “Ringing the Bells” but I highly recommend that one.

I'll be checking him out!

I’ve read that but would be interested to know what you think of it.

The author was at the Dublin Ghost Story Festival a couple of months ago, he did a reading of one his short stories and it was very good.

watched this last night. thought it was great. a kind of portrait of Britain over the last century. with deadly footage scored by adrian utley of portishead and featuring a couple of Annie Briggs tunes. some really cool old agricultural footage, folk dances, punk, rave culture, general weird shenanigans all edited together really well. 80 mins long with sub headings throughout like 'in the woods', 'winter solstice' and stuff. A koyaansqatsi of 20th century Britain, kind of. perfect viewing for late on a Saturday night. would definitely stand up to repeated watches.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

watched Night Of The Demon over the weekend. British horror from 1957. Was a bit apprehensive about how the mood of this would be being from 57 but was pleasantly surprised. Genuinely eerie moments and some cool shots throughout. Adapted from MR James story Casting The Runes which I'm unfamiliar with. The score is what you'd expect from a film from this era but could imagine having the shit scared out of me seeing this back in 57 nonetheless

One of my all time favourites, ever since seeing it for the first time on Alex Cox's Moviedrome series. The ITV Playhouse version of Casting the Runes is worth checking out for comparison..if nothing else.
Kate Bush famously sampled the "It's in the trees, it's coming " line. The TV show Endeavour also gave it the nod fairly recently. Might give this another watch this evening.

In my dream last night I was in the video shop (remember them) and the rental guy was showing the 'scariest folk horror movie of all-time'. There's a bit in it where they conjure up satan off-screen and he tells me that they actually shot footage for it but it was too terrible, too unspeakably horrifying to include in the movie and he invites me back to his place to watch the 30 mins of unseen footage. So I'm sitting on the couch in his apartment and all I can recall about the place is that it's dark and he has a dart board on the wall covered with rope. He plonks in the tape (VHS of course) and there's rope on the screen in the same pattern as on the dart board. Then I wake up. It wasn't a nightmare or anything I seem to have been happy as larry.

In my dream last night I was in the video shop (remember them) and the rental guy was showing the 'scariest folk horror movie of all-time'. There's a bit in it where they conjure up satan off-screen and he tells me that they actually shot footage for it but it was too terrible, too unspeakably horrifying to include in the movie and he invites me back to his place to watch the 30 mins of unseen footage. So I'm sitting on the couch in his apartment and all I can recall about the place is that it's dark and he has a dart board on the wall covered with rope. He plonks in the tape (VHS of course) and there's rope on the screen in the same pattern as on the dart board. Then I wake up. It wasn't a nightmare or anything I seem to have been happy as larry.
IT WASN’T A DREAM.

This is amazing

I remembered this, while re-reading that

I watched this last night. It's great. Not really a horror film but more of a folk tale with elements of horror; like Pan's Labyrinth meets Jim Henson's The Storyteller

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back