Don't ever play a gig without an agreed price (2 Viewers)

Spotify are on the SIlicon Valley model so they need a total global monopoly for their business to make sense, has anyone done the maths on how many paying subscribers they would need to in order to pay someone with, say, 100 thousand listens a month a liveable wage? Or even a minimum wage :confused:

Spotify are on the SIlicon Valley model, has anyone done the maths on how many paying subscribers they would need to in order to pay someone with, say, 100 thousand listens a month a liveable wage? Or even a minimum wage :confused:

Based on what I get from spotify (which varies on the country that plays the song) roughly 700000 plays a month to hit living wage.

Rubberbandits would be something like 60-80eu a month.

Based on what I get from spotify (which varies on the country that plays the song) roughly 700000 plays a month to hit living wage.

Rubberbandits would be something like 60-80eu a month.

Right, but the more money Spotify gets in supposedly the more they pay out, so i'm wondering what kind of figures are needed to pay what we consider a fair amount. What do we consider a fair amount? hmmm

Right, but the more money Spotify gets in supposedly the more they pay out, so i'm wondering what kind of figures are needed to pay what we consider a fair amount. What do we consider a fair amount? hmmm

weelll I guess if its to be considered that a household name with 40,000 plays a month should be approaching a living wage he'd need to be getting about 25 times what he is.

Spotify has 70 millions subscibers now

So to pay one rubberbandit a living wage spotify need about

one billion seven hundred fifty million subscribers. (about 25 times what they have)

So eh, down with playing gigs for free.

this is all ballpark math, there could easily be +/- half a billion people people in error margin.

weelll I guess if its to be considered that a household name with 40,000 plays a month should be approaching a living wage he'd need to be getting about 25 times what he is

How does that compare to the wireless? Radio Nova has a daily listenership of about 80,000 - how much would you get paid for a single play of one of your songs?

How does that compare to the wireless? Radio Nova has a daily listenership of about 80,000 - how much would you get paid for a single play of one of your songs?

I've no figures for that - maybe someone else here might? The radio hates my music generally so i've never paid the 50 bucks or whatever it is to activate that.

it's just... you see people go all "ooooh a million streams on spotify", which is like the equivalent of about six plays on the ian dempsey breakfast show in terms of actual reach, and i'm curious how it stacks up in terms of monetary compensation.

Yeah like doing originals for free sorta sets out two messages when this is the standard (I also float in and out of cover acts).

1. It undermines working musicians (covers or otherwise) with the devaluation of their trade.
2. It undermines other original acts when they can be replaced at no cost.

I was talking to a guy at a stag. This person was talking about that they are a singer in a covers band but when I mentioned to him about how I liked to go to gigs in Dublin (an hour away). The covers guy was disgusted at this and grilled me about "why anyone would even be bothered to go to the effort" the answer I gave of "I like it" just was not good enough for the covers musician.

He could not fathomed why anyone would want to see live bands doing their own music and just kept going on about how it was a waste of time and money to do so. I disagreed.

---
I remember a gig in the spirit store dundalk. 5 people for the support act's set but 3 left after they finished meaning just me and my brother for the main act (an English singer on her Irish tour). 8 people had liked spirit store's Facebook post about the times than attended, which if 3 who saw the support act were among them, 5 liked the post that didn't go to the gig.

When leaving afterwards, going through the main bar, it was packed with a DJ playing.

I was talking to a guy at a stag. This person was talking about that they are a singer in a covers band but when I mentioned to him about how I liked to go to gigs in Dublin (an hour away). The covers guy was disgusted at this and grilled me about "why anyone would even be bothered to go to the effort" the answer I gave of "I like it" just was not good enough for the covers musician.

He could not fathomed why anyone would want to see live bands doing their own music and just kept going on about how it was a waste of time and money to do so. I disagreed.

---
I remember a gig in the spirit store dundalk. 5 people for the support act's set but 3 left after they finished meaning just me and my brother for the main act (an English singer on her Irish tour). 8 people had liked spirit store's Facebook post about the times than attended, which if 3 who saw the support act were among them, 5 liked the post that didn't go to the gig.

When leaving afterwards, going through the main bar, it was packed with a DJ playing.

DJs can get tae fuck

Finally.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I would LOVE to know what 'a small fee' is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back