Versatile (1 Viewer)

I wonder did she notice that the lad in Ketamine murders 3 people during the course of the song. OMG IT'S NORMALISING MOIDAH

Dear 22 year olds - if you keep lecturing me about morality I'll report ye to your parents

Hmm, on the one hand she has a point...

On the other, I didn't really need to listen word for word to Versatile to assume that there's probably some dumb opinions in there. They seem to capture young lads off their face pretty well, it ain't gonna be pretty.

I really don't think she does dude. There are no opinions in Versatile songs, just a couple of lads pretending to be total scumbags. I mean, I'd understand if a spokesperson for scumbags had a problem with Versatile's portrayal of scumbags
hahaha

Well, she has a point insomuch that calling people scumbags and junkies and the like does normalize it. I think a band or artist is allowed be criticized for this, but at the same time that doesn't mean they're not allowed use those words if they're willing to stand by them ("i'm playing a character", "these are the words we use, why should I pretend we don't", "i'm from the area, these people are scum to me" could all be justifications, or even "good point, I never thought of it that way, maybe we shouldn't have used those words"). The impression I get from the article though is that she is saying people should just plain not listen to this band at all because of this, and, actually, listen to these other people instead.

It raises the issue that in the attention-economy, or whatever we're calling it, of 2018 it's a lot easier to be completely wiped out if people find a reason to do so, compared to the publicity boost of having a song banned back in the day.

It also raises the issue that maybe we should talk more about why we like the actual music of music (you know, melodies and beats), esp of rap music, rather than just the good optics of "they're representing X group" or "important message here". Maybe the kids just fuppin prefer the music of Versatile over the other lads being mentioned.

Time will tell if the twitter woke-train piles on this one. We'll see what happens.

Last edited:
Wyvern Lingo's 'Out of My Hands' uses the word junkie

wyvern lingo said:
It’s written from the point of someone who doesn’t want to engage and doesn’t think they can do anything. I guess we enjoyed the sarcasm of that, because it’s very hard to write about these things without being preachy. I think for us songwriting, and songwriters that we aspire to be like, are songwriters that can mask things in a beautiful space with storytelling but also say a lot without pointing it out.

What’s weird about this song (Out of My Hands) is that it is really relatable. It’s from the bad guy’s point of view, but it’s really understandable that this is how you might feel so apathetic in the face of all you might be doing to help the world. It’s centered around this conversation I had with a guy.

[Verse 1]
Have to say I'm tired of reading all this tragedy
My morning feed can't take the gravity
Oh I got into a fight, some drunken piety
This girl in Mulligan's last night accused me of apathy

[Pre-Chorus 2]
Sometimes I don't want to hear it, hear it
How does that make me a bigot?

[Chorus]
I know it's sad for the sorry few
But it's out of my hands
It's out of my hands
It's out of my hands
I know it's sad but what can I do?
See my world still turns round
My world still turns round

[Verse 2]
She wouldn't give it a break, crying inequality
Oh the 8th and the State, she's never happy
Then she said I had "no empathy" towards those refugees
I said that I just can't see them as a priority

[Pre-Chorus 2]
Sometimes I don't want to face it, face it
What could I do to erase it?

[Chorus]
But it's out of my hands
It's out of my hands
It's out of my hands

[Bridge]
And I say look after our own
Excepting junkies or scum
And of course chancers and whores
Oh I just won't answer the door

And I say look after our own
Excepting junkies or scum
And of course chancers and whores
Oh I just won't answer the door

[Pre-Chorus 2]
Sometimes I don't want to face it, face it
What could I do to erase it?

[Chorus]
But it's out of my hands
It's out of my hands
It's out of my hands

There's totally a rubberbandits/versatile/damo and ivor/#ofthesesh venn diagram that can be drawn.

Something something archetype something something non privileged backgrounds something something dramatic device something something poor tom Shakespearean dramatic device.

It also raises the issue that maybe we should talk more about why we like the actual music of music (you know, melodies and beats), esp of rap music, rather than just the good optics of "they're representing X group" or "important message here". Maybe the kids just fuppin prefer the music of Versatile over the other lads being mentioned.
I know I prefer it.

I read the article again.

The Article said:
Dublin rapper Kojaque released his flawless debut album Deli Daydreams at the start of the year, and somehow, he managed to go eight entire songs without resorting to racism, sexism and homophobia for a few cheap laughs.
Oh good fuck. She sounds like my Ma back in the 80s.

Me Ma said:
Brendan Grace is funny without having to curse all the time

Wyvern Lingo's 'Out of My Hands' uses the word junkie
The worst about that song is that cringey as fuck line about Mulligan's

I really liked their album but I suppose maybe i'll try the Saint Sister one instead now that we have to write off anyone who says junkie.

The worst about that song is that cringey as fuck line about Mulligan's

I really liked their album but I suppose maybe i'll try the Saint Sister one instead now that we have to write off anyone who says junkie.

I'm fascinated to see if versatile take it on at all. Its now popping up in my twitter timeline and probably is headed to be this 24hr cycles sacrificial cow.

If they've any sense they won't try to appease. Their audience most likely don't give a fuck

I guess i'm interested because its the cyber bubbles laid bare. Like a massive fanbase who just don't care and want to dance and a massive amount of woke people are potentially about to learn that each other exist in the same physical space and it'd be a pretty miraculous event if a rap group could rap their way through that. I suspect you are right though.

C'mere - are ye lads using the word 'woke' pejoratively? Don't ye consider yourselves woke? I'm struggling to keep up with the zeitgeist these days :/

I change by the day.

I agree with some of the underlying principles (equality and all that) but i'm not into the binary though processes that have emerged from it. I don't see people proclaiming wokeness and smiting people from social media pulpits as being very different to the catholic church heyday of pedalling virtue and using it as a societal sorting hat. I've seen this happen up close and personal and its a pretty awful thing to witness, especially when there's the bullet proof shield of virtue propping people up. I certainly use it pejoratively, but at the same time i'd think versatile have more to answer for in this case. I'm using it pejoratively in relation to the social stock market of social media, where its a powermongering tool as much as anything else is. I think i'm mostly trying to avoid the zeitgeist and all it brings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back