• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 86K
  • Watchers 10
cost a whopping €21k.
holy fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

used to drive Fiestas. loved them.

just moved up to a fabia estate automatic. love the boot space, eats petrol. 152 reg, it tells me when the tyre pressure is low. that feels fancy.

no cd player, but he usb menu is really good.

Hahahha. yea and I paid half of that in cash. Gone be with the days.....

Few cares I forgot on the list, we're a two car house.

2002 VW Polo.
Brand new car. Nothing but trouble. From DAY ONE.

1999 VW Passat
Lovely car. I put it in the ditch once. Drank petrol so sold it and got...

'06 Ford Fiesta
Diesel fiesta, cheap to run. Still driving it now though it's falling apart. It's days are numbered.

oh by the by,

I'm getting shot of the yaris in november. its burning oil but otherwise amazing. will be selling for less than the price of a mid level fender squire. nct till january, about 70% sure it'll pass.

Curious about a show of hands here. Have any of you considered an electric vehicle at this point. Like I don't think anyone in thumped needs any convincing of our climate position. Seems a fair few of you are driving older cars which on the surface seems less efficient but is actually a better policy when the carbon impact of manufacture is considered. I'm moving to a van shortly as i'm taking the piss with the amount of stuff i shove into that car. I took a long hard look at electric new vans and the range/price thing didn't work out for me as I have pretty frequent bouts of 500 miles in 24 hours keeping up with family and so on. Anyone got one, or making the jump next time?

Are there enough charging points in Ireland to make it feasible? Esp for someone like you who does a lot of fairly long distance driving. I heard someone on the radio rubbishing the minster's claims that Ireland is leading the world in this area.

Are there enough charging points in Ireland to make it feasible? Esp for someone like you who does a lot of fairly long distance driving. I heard someone on the radio rubbishing the minster's claims that Ireland is leading the world in this area.

The only van on the market that sorta came close was the Renault. about 8hrs to charge which i'd need to do once along the way from galway to donegal, making it 12 hour trip. at the moment i'm doing that trip straigh out of work on a thursday so i'd get home about 6am the following day. I've a regular trip to belfast now too which would be more in the 14hrs range.

If I only had to drive to the office from the house it'd be grand. I'm nowhere near affording a new car though all in with scrappage and grants it'd have cost me about the same as regular van year to year.

Charge Point Map

I went for a test drive in a Leaf just for the craic. It was lovely. If I was commuting regular distances I'd definitely get an electric car. There's a nice Hyundai one I see in the village all the time.
My biggest fear is that my whole life is already one big "is it charged" after another.

Curious about a show of hands here. Have any of you considered an electric vehicle at this point. Like I don't think anyone in thumped needs any convincing of our climate position. Seems a fair few of you are driving older cars which on the surface seems less efficient but is actually a better policy when the carbon impact of manufacture is considered. I'm moving to a van shortly as i'm taking the piss with the amount of stuff i shove into that car. I took a long hard look at electric new vans and the range/price thing didn't work out for me as I have pretty frequent bouts of 500 miles in 24 hours keeping up with family and so on. Anyone got one, or making the jump next time?
when they have electric vans that can do 880km on a single charge and be ready to go the morning after, i'll consider it.

I have one. Bought a UK import Leaf 2nd hand last year when I got a new job and we needed a second car. I do around 65km a day and get about 140km range on a full charge, so I charge it up at home every night even though there are two sets of free public chargers 5 & 10 minutes walk from the job, because i am a lazy bastard.

I'll be the first to admit they look a bit lame, but the initial acceleration from a standing start is MENTAL and driving an automatic is just so easy. Actually the biggest problem I have with it is it's far too easy to drive it way too fast without realising it, which isn't very good for range (or, you know, safety.)

Speaking of range, real-world performance on the current Leaf models is meant to be about 2x what i get but all EVs are way too expensive new even taking into account it's only €125 to tax, and the obvious fuel savings (ie free if you don't mind using public chargers), so my advice for now would be buy second hand, and unless you're never going to need to drive further than 50% range or have easy access to another car for longer trips, only as a second car.

The public charging infrastructure for current EV numbers is ok, but there really need to be more made available, especially the fast chargers that can provide an 80% charge in about 45 minutes (vs being able to just get a top up from the regular chargers in the same time). Like, there's 1 fast charger and 2x regular in the Blanchardstown centre, which realistically is nowhere near enough given the size of the place. I think Aldi or Lidl are putting them into some of their car parks, which is good, but there needs to be more investment in the infrastructre. Some of the Applegreen motorway service stations have 8 or more Tesla Superchargers installed, which I believe Tesla pay for... are there even that many Teslas in the country?

We also need less dickheads parking in them and blocking access (ICEing, as the EV nerds say)

I had it serviced last month for 300. Tax is due at the end of the month.

I need to be making more money

oh by the by,

I'm getting shot of the yaris in november. its burning oil but otherwise amazing. will be selling for less than the price of a mid level fender squire. nct till january, about 70% sure it'll pass.

Bought a van, disposing of the car relatively soon. First impressions, very chill on motorway, doesn't feel fast which kinda explains the whole van man thing. Fuel tank is rediculously big compared t a car for humans. haphazard camper van project is imminent.

Bought a van, disposing of the car relatively soon. First impressions, very chill on motorway, doesn't feel fast which kinda explains the whole van man thing. Fuel tank is rediculously big compared t a car for humans. haphazard camper van project is imminent.
what kind? my caddy does c14km/litre (850km per 60 litre tank) and can do 160kph without a rattle. allegedly.

what kind? my caddy does c14km/litre (850km per 60 litre tank) and can do 160kph without a rattle. allegedly.

I got a "peugeot"* "expert"* though the badges mean more or less nothing at this point (the links on the words show just how vague a definition it is). the tank is 80L according to the manual, i'll know what kind of economy/not economy its getting in a few weeks, but it would be in the range of 15L/km based on the trip from dublin today. It was grand at 120kmh and i don't really go much past that ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back