True Detective Season 3 (1 Viewer)

my memory is of the wife being a rotten actor but rachel mcadams making up for a lot of the shows shortcomings.

plus our Faz and his wardrobe.

BOLO TIE

velcoro.jpg

@Bernie Lomax @Cornu Ammonis

How do youz view season 1 and 2 these days?

Leaving aside the pointless shouting matches with @washingcattle (RIP to that snowflake) my issue with this show has always been that it took its own mystical bullshit at face value.

Like, not the characters took it seriously (which I'm actually a fan of in this world of all irony all the time) but that the show itself believed its own hype right from the start. It lorded around like it was a Beckett play and not just Tarantino style pulpy fun, i.e. shot beautifully and full to the brim with nods to more clever things without actually attempting to address the same issues.

I watched them on Sky so I think they're still on box set there if you're a subscriber. If not, I'm sure you can get them from the library on DVD. I never stream/torrent so can't help you there!

@Bernie Lomax @Cornu Ammonis

How do youz view season 1 and 2 these days?

Leaving aside the pointless shouting matches with @washingcattle (RIP to that snowflake) my issue with this show has always been that it took its own mystical bullshit at face value.

Like, not the characters took it seriously (which I'm actually a fan of in this world of all irony all the time) but that the show itself believed its own hype right from the start. It lorded around like it was a Beckett play and not just Tarantino style pulpy fun, i.e. shot beautifully and full to the brim with nods to more clever things without actually attempting to address the same issues.

Still think the first season is great. Ticked a lot of cosmic horror/southern gothic mystery boxes for me. Technically marvelous, fine performances and great visuals. Ending kind of rushed but I guess that confrontation shoot out with the main baddie is a staple of the sort of pulpy noir crime fiction it was inspired by.

Second season unfairly maligned. There's a lot of decent stuff in there. The leads are all good. Repeat viewings are less harsh even on Vince Vaughan who did his best with the most cliched, poorly written role in the series. My main issue is the story feels rushed - I assume yer man had to full some kind of contractual obligation and deliver ten scripts in not nearly enough time. I love that LA noir feel though, like James Ellroy and that lot.

I think as genre/mood pieces both seasons work – 1 better than 2, as metaphysical meditations on the darkness within man they’re a bit silly.

Season 3 gonna be good. I feel it in me bones.

I think he meant what do you think of the seasons retrospectively?
Ha, oops! A bit too literal-minded there.

I haven’t watched S2 since it aired but I’ve been meaning to go back to it. I liked it at the time but it felt very one dimensional compared to the first season.

Personally, I think season one is incredible. I am currently trapped under a sleepy baby so typing is difficult but briefly I think all the weirdness and the allusions to horror, supernatural, ritual, etc. is all a big smokescreen for the mind bending evil of the pedophile underground (both in the show and in real life). There are loads of references to The King in Yellow, a collection of short stories revolving around a play set in a land called Carcosa. The idea is that act one of this play draws you in and act two unveils such horror as to send you insane (but you only get quotes and short passages from the play to tantalise you as a real-life reader). In True Detective, the play is replaced by the video that we never see but that is so terrible that it shakes them to their foundations (more so than even a baby in a microwave). The whole show is about the inescapable horror of this world and how we are all just a hair’s breadth from going over the edge. That scene with the video comes to mind whenever I read about police uncovering systematic abuse or online rings, how those officers must see the very worst humanity has to offer and it is nothing we can (and would want to) imagine.

Writer/director Nic Pizzolatto said the landscape of the Ozark Mountains "embodies certain journeys" that the show's characters take.

"The mystery of the deep woods. The fog over the mountains. The rivers. The water. The sense of scale when you get out to some of this nature. Also, what the buildings say about the lives behind them," Pizzolato said. "So I feel like people will see it as an extension of character, something that embodies characters' emotional journeys while influencing those journeys."

A "media day" was held Monday afternoon for True Detective at Tugboat's Place, a restaurant 10 miles north of Huntsville. The crew was filming nearby.

"The third installment of the drama series tells the story of a macabre crime in the heart of the Ozarks, a mystery that deepens over decades and plays out in three separate time periods," according to the media day announcement from the Arkansas Economic Development Commission.

PHOTOS: 'True Detective' creator, star offer preview as HBO series films third season in Arkansas

Ha, oops! A bit too literal-minded there.

I haven’t watched S2 since it aired but I’ve been meaning to go back to it. I liked it at the time but it felt very one dimensional compared to the first season.

Personally, I think season one is incredible. I am currently trapped under a sleepy baby so typing is difficult but briefly I think all the weirdness and the allusions to horror, supernatural, ritual, etc. is all a big smokescreen for the mind bending evil of the pedophile underground (both in the show and in real life). There are loads of references to The King in Yellow, a collection of short stories revolving around a play set in a land called Carcosa. The idea is that act one of this play draws you in and act two unveils such horror as to send you insane (but you only get quotes and short passages from the play to tantalise you as a real-life reader). In True Detective, the play is replaced by the video that we never see but that is so terrible that it shakes them to their foundations (more so than even a baby in a microwave). The whole show is about the inescapable horror of this world and how we are all just a hair’s breadth from going over the edge. That scene with the video comes to mind whenever I read about police uncovering systematic abuse or online rings, how those officers must see the very worst humanity has to offer and it is nothing we can (and would want to) imagine.
cool, feel like watching it again now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back