Netflix Bans The Red Pill (1 Viewer)

Marginalisation is why they *won't* change their ways.

Fair point. Let me rephrase, I want these people to feel marginalized. I want everyone else to think they're marginalized as well and stop trying to meet them halfway when they would never, ever do the same back. Either they can change their ways and join the conversation or they can stay out in the cold.

Ok! That makes some sense. I suspect, however, that it's probably counterproductive to be so dismissive of someone like @BlackGrape here

Where do you think this script is leading?

BG: hey lads I saw this docu that says maybe MRAs aren't as bad as everyone says, and actually maybe some of them are real people expressing real pain, and I'm feeling some sympathy for them
thumped: MRAs are cunts, and TBH your sympathy is a bit fucking suspect
(repeat)

From another angle should racists be given the time of day or should we hear them out and make them feel less marginalized? Maybe they're sounder than we thought?

I'm not saying no platform these people, i'm not saying punish these people, i'm saying i'm not interested in their debate, if they can't see the world beyond their own personal gripes then its up to them to want to change. The information is out there.

Put your energies elsewhere, they are a minority and by spending all your time trying to engage with them you just end up debating everything on their terms. If any of them decide to throw an olive branch our way gimme a shout but it never happens, we can spend all our time watching their Ted_x films but don't expect anything in return except your own views slowly becoming theirs.

Put the documentary on Netflix, there's already all sorts of mad shit on there, why not more.

Last edited:
From another angle should racists be given the time of day or should we hear them out and make them feel less marginalized? Maybe they're sounder than we thought?

Strawman argument and a very disingenuous one at that.

I'm not saying no platform these people, i'm not saying punish these people, i'm saying i'm not interested in their debate, if they can't see the world beyond their own personal gripes then its up to them to want to change. The information is out there.

You seem confused, earlier you posted that you do not want to meet them halfway and want them marginalized.

Which one is it?

Yes! ... actually I just realised I haven't made this clear, but I'm not talking about slinging shit online. Racists in my real life for are not neo-Nazis or gun-toting rednecks. They're regular people like my parents who are uncomfortable dealing with doctors from other cultures, or like the lad delivering fuel to my house wondering whether we'd allowed too many Poles to come over here at once. Those are the people we should be giving the time of day to - talking them off the ledge like. "It's shit that you couldn't understand what the doctor was saying - want me to come with you next time? When I had X wrong with me a Cameroon-ian doctor totally sorted me out". Or "I've worked with loads of Polish lads and only have good things to say about them"

etc.

Put your energies elsewhere, they are a minority and by spending all your time trying to engage with them you just end up debating everything on their terms.
Ah ok I get you now. Any time you spend engaging with cranks online is wasted time, unless you actually enjoy it

And yeah I've looked at some MRA shit on reddit, and they're mostly completely off their rockers, but I can't help feeling sorry for them. Lads my age and older who probably have never even had a woman smile at them. Who constantly hear about their own unearned privilege, but you can start off with an advantage and still be a loser, right? Especially someplace like the US. Their experience of their own lives is pure fucking miserable, and they're trying to create a narrative for why their lives are so shit

Maybe I should rephrase it to be
Not it isn't, its a disingenuous conflation of racism with MRAs, as blatant a strawman you will ever see.

Funny how egg could give a straight answer to my question while come out with this oppression stuff again. Not everyone is out to get you..

@egg the problem with engaging with racists, and the above MRA argument, is that from the very first you have to trust that the person you're debating with is being sincere. Black Grape is not showing good faith...he is slinging around accusations of disingenuousness when in the very first post he attempts to conflate the real issues of suicide among men, and custody problems etc., with an umbrella group who have a very well-established reputation for misogyny. Even the thread title is misleading and inflammatory, as is his confrontational manner when debating. There's no need for it. It's a bludgeoning tool, it's disingenuous, and it immediately marks the poster as a person to avoid. I'm not sure whether the OP is doing this deliberately or just thinks this is the best way to debate, but either way. You won't win, you won't learn anything, you'll waste time, and you'll get angry.
Whereas racism, male suicide etc are certainly discussions which need to be had, it is a simple matter to assess whether the person bringing up the topic cares about your answer or is merely opening the door to an agenda that most "open-minded" "regular joe" types would want to have nothing to do with.
MRA is a backlash against feminism full of angry "what abouters" looking for a problem to co-opt.

TL/DR: Fuck this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back