Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (1977) (1 Viewer)

Well, this was a chore. I completely get the love for this and am in agreement. Having to actually listen to it is a completely different matter though.

Just as many others mentioned, this forms some part of my formative music listening. Since those days I've become very apathetic towards this album and towards Fleetwood Mac. Theres just so much to dislike about them. Even when they played their gig here last year, meh, couldn't be arsed.

So I was kind of dreading listening to this again. I recall buying it for my aul lad on tape years ago and more or less hijacking it on him and listening to it to death. At the time BP Garages were running an ad on telly and radio that had an excerpt from The Chain on it. That piqued my interest.

I don't recall much about what I thought of it back then. I guess I must have liked it if I listened to it so much. But I don't ever remember liking Lindsey Buckingham's voice. Its dreadful, and hes all over this album.

The only other Fleetwood Mac album I ever had was Tango In the Night. Listening to that now brings on a different kind of nostalgia, probably because I got it at a different point in my life. Plus, the singles from that album were being played to death on radio and on the various music video TV shows, of which there were many.

Actually, I kind of want to listen to that album again now.

But Rumours.

Second Hand News - Dreadful. Lindsey Buckingham.
Dreams - lovely little song, but yes, absolutely destroyed by the fucking corrs
Never Going Back Again - Decent song. Could do with less LB. Love the guitar playing
Don't Stop - Banger. Love this. Probably their biggest, most famous song ever? Even radio Nova haven't completely ruined this on me. Is that LB singing? Doesn't bother me as much, possibly a testament to how good the song is.
Go Your Own Way - this was always the standout song for me back in the day. Again, LB's squealing out the chorus just ruins things. Great song though
Songbird - this is dreadful. Awful. Terrible. Yet I woke up in the middle of the night last week and this song was buzzing around my head. Its like something my religion teacher at school would have the class learn ('From a Distance', 'Luka', being 2 others we had to learn).
The Chain - another Banger. But I can't listen to it anymore. Its like if you eat too many kit-kats. They're great, and you know they're great, but you've just ruined the experience by over-eating.
You Make Loving Fun - nice bit of respite from Lindsey Buckingham. Not a great song really, but a nice change on the album.
I Don't Wanna Know - sickly sweet song. Again I find this almost unlistenable now.
Oh Daddy - POWER BALLAD. PUT IT ON FUCKING LOUD
Gold Dust Woman - I can still get down with this one. Love you Stevie Nicks <3

So yeah, all in all it was a very unpleasant experience having to relisten to this, albeit not as unpleasant as I expected.

Terrible stuff.

5/5

I just got so confused with all the different incarnations of this band over the years, that I decided to ignore them all and leave them to it. The Fanning show intro signature tune was pretty great, but not enough to make me delve further, for fear of spending good money on the mid Atlantic FM dross... like this!

But I've listened to it over the last week, and actually like 2 or 3 songs now, particularly Never Going Back Again. but God, it's all so everything I hated as a teenager/ twenty something.

So, a score of 2 out of 5 for personal, probably immature cynical reasons, but I know history will treat it much more kindly.

[ I actually bought Tusk a few years ago and really liked it, even though I think it was panned by the Rumours lovers ]

I just got so confused with all the different incarnations of this band over the years, that I decided to ignore them all and leave them to it. The Fanning show intro signature tune was pretty great, but not enough to make me delve further, for fear of spending good money on the mid Atlantic FM dross... like this!

But I've listened to it over the last week, and actually like 2 or 3 songs now, particularly Never Going Back Again. but God, it's all so everything I hated as a teenager/ twenty something.

So, a score of 2 out of 5 for personal, probably immature cynical reasons, but I know history will treat it much more kindly.

[ I actually bought Tusk a few years ago and really liked it, even though I think it was panned by the Rumours lovers ]
You have pretty much summed up what I was going to say about it. There are some bits that are good, it's hard not to sing along to the choruses on the big singles but it's an empty, sad feeling album wrapped up in great production and a perfectionist's approach to melody. It's not for me at all but can appreciate why people like it.

any love for Tusk? Class album
Everyone loves Tusk.

And everyone loves to talk about how no one else loves Tusk

but everyone fucking loves Tusk.

Including me.

also, this is great (well, for about a minute or two)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Oh my God

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've never listened to the full album, but I know most of it...

1 -
2 - Dreams - 4:18
3 -
4 - Don't Stop - 3:14
5 - Go Your Own Way - 3:40
6 -
7 - The Chain - 4:31
8 - You Make Loving Fun - 3:33
9 -
10 -
11 - Gold Dust Woman - 5:02

I always thought Christine McVie was underrated. Very good pop songwriter.

I did not expect Neil Finn to replace Lindsay Buckingham. I hope he makes an album with them

Lindsey Buckingham parts ways with Fleetwood Mac before tour
Mad. Also some dude from the Heartbreakers as well.

I was thinking about this recently and how FM lucked out when Lindsay Buckingham joined. They really only wanted him originally but he was like it has to be him AND Stevie or nothing. It's sort of like some Premiership side scouting young talent in Argentina and being told they need to take this lad Messi as well as the steady full-back they were looking at.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - the Buckingham Nicks LP is fantastic.

Yeah, their line up history really makes very little sense, on paper at least. Personally I'd rate Neil Finn way above Buckingham so I'm curious tI see how this development plays out

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back