The Swedish Progg Thread (1 Viewer)

dunderhead

Been meaning to start this thread for a while. Having a read through the African thread last night, there was some good recommending going on. Would be great to get something similar here. In the last few years been buying and listening to a good bit of swedish releases from the 70s. Progg is different to Prog in that it generally was not the UK stereotype of a trained musician, wearing a cloak playing 18 minute intricate keyboard solos. Progg is a looser type of heading, incorporating folk, rock, jazz and long jams. The most progressive part is apparently the left wing lyrics, of which I cannot understand one word. From what I can see it seems as though the hippies eventually got their finger out and started making some good music in the 70s. Some really amazing gems out there.

A small few choice LPs I reckon that are worth looking into:

Kebnekaise 2 by Kebnekaise.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Vittras Visor or Bilder by Turid

Solar Plexus by Solar Plexus

Flasket by Flasket Brinner

Bo Hansson - Sagan Om Ringen. The Wizard's Hat and Music Inspired by Watership Down are brilliant also. And cheap enough. This dude toured with Hendrix in the late 60s. Went under the name Hansson and Karlsson, an organ/drums instrumental duo. Not dissimilar to another present day duo Sagor and Swing. Hendrix covered their tune below in his sets later on.

I could go on but thats enough for the moment. The likes of Dungen, Sagor and Swing, Fire Orchestra, Time Is A Mountain are some present day acts obviously heavily influenced by some of these groups. Same goes for the different strands of metal coming out of Sweden. Opeth's Heritage LP cover is surely a homage to Kebnekaise. The likes of the label Subliminal Sounds reissue primarily stuff from this part of the world during this era, also worth looking into.

R-3110873-1316281703.jpeg.jpg
250620793_4f7f8d9f-b35c-423c-80d3-540cc2ea3ea6.jpg

Recently picked up a really comprehensive book on ebay covering Swedish Progg. More of a reference book rather than a deep history of the scene. Absolutely brilliant, essential information. Have been dipping in and out of it. Not something to read fro cover to cover.

Book%2BCover%2BFront.jpg

Was over in Stockholm last year. Gonna be heading over again in a few weeks via Gothenburg. Some of the best record stores I've been in. Needless to say, these types of records are pretty easy to come by. There's a bunch of stuff out there, only touched on it above. Any good recommendations from this part of the world, let us know here..

Last edited:
None of my favourites covered yet here ... anything connected with Bo Anders Persson is usually essential International Harvester / Harvester / Trad Gras Och Stenar / Parson Sound. Also Algarnas Tradgard are in that headlifting progressive folk bracket.

None of my favourites covered yet here ... anything connected with Bo Anders Persson is usually essential International Harvester / Harvester / Trad Gras Och Stenar / Parson Sound. Also Algarnas Tradgard are in that headlifting progressive folk bracket.

cool! that International Harvester LP is a spicy meatball, very expensive. Listened to that subliminal sounds 3 disc Parson Sounds set online a few times. heady stuff.

TGOS, fantastic stuff. new release of remaining members supposed to be decent. Algarnas Tradgard is something I must investigate more, pretty sure it was a SS reissue again. cheers for suggestions

Just before this thread sinks into the abyss of thumped, here's an nts playlist of some of the good shit by progg collector al English. Currently over in Sweden, this dude was kind enough to share a compiled list of Swedish esoteric records for my digging needs and also pointed me towards some off the grid record stores

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back