Scott Walker (1 Viewer)

I had a dream the other night that he dropped a surprise new album that was only available on 10" 300g vinyl.

Go for Tilt dude. And then work your way forwards if you like it.

I'm working through his albums today, starting with Scott 1 and currently on Scott 4. Even if he did nothing else, this is a sensational run of music.

I remember the first time I went though those and thought of one of them "there's a lot of not very symbolistic singing about boning for pop music in the 60's"

I don't feel particularly sad about his passing and was just trying to work out why. I think it's because he was so enigmatic and reclusive that I never had much of a sense of him as a person - unlike Bowie for example, who seemed like someone I actually knew (in spite of all his masks and obfuscation Bowie did tons or interviews etc and it was pretty easy to relate to him particularly since he had such an engaging personality). So, it's not like there is any kind of personal connection - with Walker it's all about the work and the work was absolutely monumental. Also pretty much perfect - it seems to me like he managed to achieve what he set out to do - at least in his later years. I don't get the sense either that he had a bunch more amazing albums to make and so we have been robbed of more of the work. I think his is really an artistic life worth celebrating - he managed to do stuff that more or less no-one else managed to do and do it completely on his own terms. He was exemplary in all sorts of ways and that's something worth celebrating rather than being sad about.

I don't feel particularly sad about his passing and was just trying to work out why. I think it's because he was so enigmatic and reclusive that I never had much of a sense of him as a person - unlike Bowie for example, who seemed like someone I actually knew (in spite of all his masks and obfuscation Bowie did tons or interviews etc and it was pretty easy to relate to him particularly since he had such an engaging personality). So, it's not like there is any kind of personal connection - with Walker it's all about the work and the work was absolutely monumental. Also pretty much perfect - it seems to me like he managed to achieve what he set out to do - at least in his later years. I don't get the sense either that he had a bunch more amazing albums to make and so we have been robbed of more of the work. I think his is really an artistic life worth celebrating - he managed to do stuff that more or less no-one else managed to do and do it completely on his own terms. He was exemplary in all sorts of ways and that's something worth celebrating rather than being sad about.
It's funny - I feel completely the opposite, in that I feel a massive personal connection. I loved him just as much as I loved Bowie. I think it's just embedded in so much to do with family and growing up, and then finding my own way, and he really helped me do that. I know what you mean about celebrating the work, and I always will, but it has made my Monday particularly wistful - I always thought he would kind of be there - I didn't need to see him live, or meet him, but was weirdly comforted that he was still here, not being here. If that makes sense.

I’m with you on this. I am sad he is gone but I didn’t feel the same sense of loss as I did with Bowie - the degrees of separation from the man, his music and me was hugely different between the two. I don’t know who Scott Walker was but his work is a cornerstone of my musical tastes.

Same could probably be said of Mark Hollis, and to think we've lost them both in such a short space of time.

True but because Hollis didn't make any music in the last decade or more of his life there is a real feeling of unfulfilled potential there so his death seems a little more tragic.

Or to put it another way: Hollis seemed to have stopped making music because he was frustrated by the music business and didn't manage to manouevre himself into a position whereby he could continue to make the sort of music he wanted to make. Walker managed to do exactly that - albeit with the help of ongoing royalties from the 1960s period and with the help of a supportive label in 4AD. He totally won in a way that very few others have managed to do.

I could of course be reading all sorts of things into their lives and their intentions that are simply wrong .......

I'm working through his albums today, starting with Scott 1 and currently on Scott 4. Even if he did nothing else, this is a sensational run of music.
Til the Band Comes In, Climate of Hunter, Tilt, and The Drift this afternoon. Til the Band is a weird one but the next three are just magnificent. Even the presence of Mark “Dire Shites” Knopfler doesn’t detract from Climate of Hunter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back