Depression [Aware Helpline 1890 303 302] (2 Viewers)

Hi writing stuff down worked for me not in a journal but just on pages you can shred. You stop thinking about the swirling thoughts takes awhile to get the right writing down just try it.

It works a little bit at the start then when your friends think your normal. Stop writing. The main thing to know is there are counsellors and medication out there specifically out there to help you avail of their services. They are there to help. Don't try to do it on your own. Support Is there.

The Role of Sugar Cravings in Mood and Anxiety Disorders

i know it looks a bit like one of many bullshit health websites but it is properly referenced to studies in peer-reviewed journals
One out of the 10 citations that I clicked on was a peer-reviewed journal. The others were a mix of Wikipedia articles and "fact" pages, a book chapter on some dodgy looking site, and an academic article published in a journal published by Hindawi (who have a very, very poor peer review process).

It is a fairly poor article overall, diet does have an effect on mood but it fundamentally misunderstands and misrepresents the basics so I'm not sure I'd trust it (I couldn't finish it as it was too cringeworthy for me to read for too long). Where it did cite a decent article (not necessarily peer-reviewed), it still boiled down the information in a way that was simplistic (to the point of being useless and/or misleading).

i think you have your debunk-o-meter turned up too high

lots of interesting stuff there anyway for anyone who's interested

well if you want to provide a source by source quality analysis displaying that, that would be cool...otherwise i think you just haven't looked at it very carefully because you were in a rush to have a big ol' debunk.

there’s fascinating and useful information (and yes, it is from peer-reviewed research) for anyone trying to manage depression and anxiety so I’d urge anyone who that applies to to read through it.

i'm not looking for a tedious nerd fight, i'm trying to pass on some information that's been helpful to me in trying to manage my depression/anxiety

well if you want to provide a source by source quality analysis displaying that, that would be cool...otherwise i think you just haven't looked at it very carefully because you were in a rush to have a big ol' debunk.
Maybe or maybe there are so many clangers in the first third of the article (I've read the rest now and it doesn't improve). There are fundamental misunderstands about brain metabolism, about how sugar can affect the neurochemistry of the brain, and about how that neurochemistry affects mood.

This is not surprising, I am actively publishing on brain metabolism and there is a lot that we either don't understand or that we think we understand but we know aren't really the case. That is one reason why I would never write an article that finishes with going on a *insert nutrient as appropriate* detox unless it was at the end of a large-scale clinical trial designed to look at the effect of that nutrient.

They have cherry picked things to suit their argument (I am tempted to make a "reverse vampires" comparison). Sugar is bad. Here are some claims about sugar and depression taken in isolation. Cut sugar out of your diet.

there’s fascinating and useful information (and yes, it is from peer-reviewed research) for anyone trying to manage depression and anxiety so I’d urge anyone who that applies to to read through it.
18 out of the 57 articles cited are from peer-reviewed journals, the rest are from blogs, opinions of random doctors/companies selling books/quackery, or popular science magazines. Out of those 18 citations from peer-reviewed journals:
  • 1 is the same article twice but from two different sources (meaning there are only 17 out of 56 articles actually cited).
  • 1 is from a dodgy publisher (Hindawi).
  • 1 is an invited comment so is an opinion and not actually peer-reviewed.
Importantly, out of these 18 articles:
  • Only 9 mention anxiety/depression but around half of these are animal/cell-based studies which are described as being more relevant to human psychiatry than they should.
  • Only 3 articles actually address link between sugar and anxiety/depression. This means that the evidence base used by the author boils down to three peer-reviewed articles out of 56 citations. None of which are cited in the section about changing your diet (which is entirely written from lifestyle articles).
i'm not looking for a tedious nerd fight, i'm trying to pass on some information that's been helpful to me in trying to manage my depression/anxiety
That's fair enough, I still have an issue with an article passing itself off as evidence-based advice for depression when it is making some wild, unsubstantiated claims about all sorts.

The really annoying thing is that at I agree with the main conclusion to swap processed food for non-processed food. This is actually supported by evidence but they have not cited it and instead they've wrapped the whole thing up in mangled science which obscures the good advice they're giving. It's hard enough convincing people that all the crap about chemical imbalance, the "happy hormone" serotonin, and so on without it being reinforced with guff like this.

Been having problems dealing with the woman I was seeing dying earlier in the year. Just bit the bullet and made an appointment with a counselor for Monday. We'll see how it goes.

Been doing this for a few weeks now. Therapy is great! If you're all fucked up but not to the point where you need pills n' shit I highly recommend it.

About a year ago me and my wife bought our first house. It was the most stressful thing I've ever done in my life.
The strain of buying the house and moving into with while looking after 2 small kids got a bit overwhelming for me and I started having really bad panic attacks.
I remember having to leave work one day last September because I thought I was about to collapse, it felt like my legs were aboout to go from under me.
I went to the doctor and got them to run blood tests etc because I thought there was something physically wrong with me. They found nothing wrong.
I got talking to one of my brothers who said he'd gone through something very similar.
A few years previous, he'd been getting very bad panic attacks but it took him a long time to figure out what was wrong.
He spent weeks with doctors, getting EEG scans, blood tests etc. to try and figure out what was wrong before he realised what was happening.
In one way, it was good to know what was happening and that there was nothing physically wrong with me but I still went through a few months of really horrible and intense anxiety.
For a while everything just felt incredibly daunting and overwhelming, going to work, looking after the kids, all that.
Even doing simple things like going to the shops or going to a restaurant felt like a bit of an onslaught.
Things just kind of got on top of me and I was really unhappy for a while.
I'm normally a pretty happy person and really outgoing but I found it really hard to deal with people during that period. It was a really bad time for me.
I'd gone through something similar a few years previously after an old friend of mine had committed suicide. In a way I had a frame of reference for what I was going through and knew that it wouldn't last forever but it was still a really difficult thing to live through.
I did go and see a counsellor during this time and I think that really helped. He actually recommended a book for me called Stop Thinking, Start Living. I'm not normally into that sort of thing but I do think it helped.
I also made myself go out and try and meet people as much as possible which also helped. I took up a fitness class and started doing park runs in my local park, I definitely think that helped.

On a personal level, things are going a million times better for me than they were a few months ago, I'm a lot happier. Nowadays, I just have moments of anxiety rather than entire weeks of it.
I'm writing this post for 2 reasons:
1. I kind of just want to put that period behind me and get on with my life and this is my way of underlining that. I've lived through that, now I can move on.
2. To let anyone here who's going through something similar know that you can get through it and it doesn't last forever, even though it might seem like that at the time.

Panic and anxiety attacks are fucking horrendous and I wouldn't wish them on anyone so if this post helps anyone I'll be happy.

It's a year ago since I wrote that post and I thought I 'd come back to it.
A lot of 2016 was a total write off for me. When I look back at it now I realise just how depressed and anxious I was for that whole period. To say that things have improved since then is a huge understatement.
Things are going really really great right now.
I switched jobs a few months ago and now where I work is a 20 minute walk from home and the job's way more interesting. I actually didn't realise how much I hated my old job until I left.
Also, my kids started school around here in the last month and it's been going really good for them so far.
Overall, life is just a lot more enjoyable and way less stressful and anxiety inducing than it was a year ago.
So, yeah, things might be shite sometimes but they can always get better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back