The Cooking Thread (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 324
  • Views 27K
  • Watchers 7
10397pe.jpg

7.5/10

meringue diameters were unequal, maple custard was a bit too runny, but it tasted amazing. maple-glazed pecans were a nice touch (if i do say so myself).

for my 40th, my brother and sister in law got myself and my wife a day's cooking lesson in saba. was good fun, and featured more food than i think i've ever eaten in my life. not cheap though, as i found out after; €150 each. but that seems to be the going rate for a day long cookery lesson in most city centre places.

anyone stew their own fruit (or 'make compote' if you must)? we have a glut of rhubarb in the community garden at the moment and i'm trying to find the right balance between fruit and sugar. delia says 10 parts fruit to 1 part sugar, rachel allen says as little as 2:1. last batch i made is about 6:1 (c.900g fruit:150g sugar).

it's great on porridge, for making rhubarb ripple ice-cream, on waffles, etc.

anyone stew their own fruit (or 'make compote' if you must)? we have a glut of rhubarb...
Yep, me too. I haven't weighed anything tho, just tossed it in enough sugar to coat it and left it to macerate before baking or stewing and then added to taste. I've put it in a Victoria Sponge and made a simple syrup for rhubarb Tom Collins. Mostly porridge tho.

i just came across these interesting recipes

3 Easy Ancient Greek Recipes You Can Make Today

i haven't tried them yet but they look good
nice. never heard of loukoumades - might give them a go.

we're big fans of pasta e ceci in this house, a recipe that apparently goes back to ancient rome and was a staple of the centurion diet. chick peas, rosemary, tomato puree & fish stock*.

(*like many pasta recipes, there's no consensus on ingredients, just parameters)

i made the lentil soup yesterday, it was grand, nothing mindblowing. the taste of the herbs didn't come through very much. i might use more mint and add the coriander just at the end if i made it again.

pancakes--very similar to your standard pancake but more dense and chewy, and pretty doughy. the sesame seeds are a great topping though--i toasted them for a stronger flavour. i had one with maple syrup (INAUTHENTIC! :eek:) and one drenched in too much honey (probably authentic but made me feel sick) and the final one with a modest amount of honey and loads of sesame seeds, which was the best i think

the first one--a bit thick
IMG_2683.jpg

too much honey :sick:. i sprinkled the seeds onto the wet batter in the pan for this one, didn't make much difference but looks cool
IMG_2684.jpg

I can't decide what to cook tonight, and I have to get the groceries on lunch, so help me decide. Should I make:

Chickpea Brocolli Curry
IMG_6617-2-683x1024.jpg

or Black pepper tofu
vegan-black-pepper-tofu-with-rice-800x1200.jpg

Tofu is a bit gammy, no? I'd go for the other one
I'm with you. I've had tofu once that I felt it was actually worth including in a dish (thin squares covered in sesame seeds and fried), otherwise it's just a bland weirdly textured non-entity for me. The other looks great though, big fan of chickpeas in a curry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back