What television series are you currently making your way through? (6 Viewers)

Just watched a bit of Riverdale in which they've given the Archie comic series about clean cut middle American teenagers a Twin Peaks update. Full of annoyingly attractive actors and terrible music. Not really any good at all. Once you've seen one inferior Twin Peaks ripoff you've seen them all. Back to Crazy Ex Girlfriend so. At least that has some originality.

i've just started The L Word (skinny attractive LA lesbian drama), it's pretty great

there are 6 seasons of it to binge-watch now

oops

It's great, great, great until the last two episodes which are total rubbish and completely let it down

I normally "get" TV, I can see what they are aspiring to, what I'm supposed to be thinking about a character, what the twist is going to be.

But I couldn't grasp this at all. I was genuinely couldn't figure out what he was supposed to be and what direction it would end up going.

I liked that they properly inhabited the world. That there was no little get out clause regarding miracles. They exist, no question, because this is the world they are in.

I liked the strangeness of it all, Of religious life, life in the Vatican, all those ornate yet bare rooms and empty gardens.

Andrew Sullivan said:
It took me a while to get into HBO’s The Young Pope. I kept waiting for it to have a relationship with some believable version of reality — and then a kangaroo kept bouncing around the Vatican. At first I couldn’t understand what was metaphor and what was plot, what was dream and what was supposed to be real, what was a miracle and what wasn’t. In the first few episodes, the Trump analogy — of an unhinged novice accidentally finding himself in a position of supreme power — did the unforgivable thing of failing to distract me from the anxiety besieging Washington.

But if you let the series just lull you into acceptance, its themes are powerful. The filmmakers understand how attractive the most rigid orthodoxy can be for the young. Abandoned by hippie parents as a boy, Jude Law’s youthful Pius XIII insists that the Church needs to turn inward and embrace mystery and fear and obedience again. He’s Benedict XVI with charisma. His vestments twinkle and shimmer; the slippers remain ruby-red; and the full papal regalia is only slightly mitigated by the Holy Father’s inspired chain-smoking. He starts out as a vindictive, sadistic, and arrogant narcissist acting out his deeply buried childhood traumas (can we ever get away from Trump?). But he is also, the series slowly reveals, some kind of a saint. His prayer is like a controlled seizure of concentration. He performs quite astounding miracles. And in time, people of the modern secular world, at first repelled, find themselves drawn to him, smiles on their faces, relieved at last to be in the presence of divine authority, any authority that can make sense of their world.

I’ve often wondered if saints are actually like that: not holy in a conventional sense, and certainly not “nice” — but often unpleasant, antisocial misfits who are only subsequently seen for what they truly were.

Big Little Lies. Another week, another glossy American series about awful rich arseholes doing each other in in picturesque Californian coastal towns. Script is sharp and some good work from Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman and particularly Laura Dern but you can't help but feel you've seen it all before. It's only a mini series so I'll stick with it but can't imagine watching 4 or 5 seasons of this.
Big Little Lies (TV Series 2017– ) - IMDb

We just got Season One of The Wire from the library.
I'm planning to re-watch it all soon. Such a great show.

We're very slowly working our way through Luke Cage. I keep thinking we should only have an episode or two to go but I think we're only halfway through, it isn't half slow. When stuff is actually happening it's good but you could easily lose 10 minutes an episode to stop it plodding along.

I'm planning to re-watch it all soon. Such a great show.

We're very slowly working our way through Luke Cage. I keep thinking we should only have an episode or two to go but I think we're only halfway through, it isn't half slow. When stuff is actually happening it's good but you could easily lose 10 minutes an episode to stop it plodding along.
My god what a boring show. All those marvel shows are at least 3 episodes too long per season.

Season 2 of Twin Peaks to get my self up to speed for the upcoming 3rd season. 3rd episode. It hasn't gotten really bad yet, presume because Lynch was still involved at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back