The Redneck Manifesto - Thirtysixstrings (2001) (1 Viewer)

This stuff is and has always been close to the actual definition of music I absolutely and utterly hate. It was tough in the early 2000's when my Irish music choices were instrumental math rock, pretend folkie acoustic lads called Damien and The Revs.

I'm gonna bow out early with "not for me".

at least give it a try

i think a rednecks 7" (TRM1) is the only thing i ever bought in road records

i remember trying to get to see them when i was up in the big shmoke for transition year work experience, and richie egan put me and my culchie friend on the guestlist despite never having met us (i think after i left a whingey message about wanting to see them on their geocities website guestbook) but then my aunty who i was staying with decided we were too young to go or something

yep sorry i just lifted that bio from the internets and wasn't thinking. (a proud owner of Greyslate #1)

Yeah, so, I still don't really get this. I can't deny it's great, or that the playing isn't really tight and very exceptional. I just lose interest after a few songs.

And I want to like TRM so badly. Guys in that band have been responsible for so much great much that has meant a lot to me over the years, and that coming from their so-called side projects (Jape, Somadrome, etc).

It's not specifically TRM. I can dip in and out of this kind of music and I'll like it well enough. Same goes for Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, and lots of other guitar-based instrumental acts.

When Richter Collective were at their peak there seemed to be somewhat of a saturation of 'math-rock'. Richter were great. I signed up as a supporter. Just, I couldn't tell the difference between Enemies and Adebisi Shank and the multitudes of other acts they had. Even at their farewell gig didn't really know who was who (apart from Squarehead).

Maybe it needs someone with a more discerning ear than I have. Or maybe it just needs someone who likes, or more importantly, 'gets', this music. That person is not me.

I have bought a copy of each and every one of their albums. I have only seen them live once. That was a New Year's Eve gig in Whelans about 7/8 years ago. I remember @Unicron coming up to me to wish me a Happy New Year, and having no recollection of having done so when we were posting about the gig on thumped the following day.

My main recollection of that gig was that I couldn't figure out how everyone else at the gig could be so into what's going on, while I wasn't. I didn't hate it. It was grand. I didn't love it. But, I was clearly in the minority, therefore wrong.

They are amazing musicians. They have convinced many people who know far more about music than I do, that what they're doing is great. Who am I to question any of that.

Oh, and they seem sound.

3/5

I have bought a copy of each and every one of their albums. I have only seen them live once. That was a New Year's Eve gig in Whelans about 7/8 years ago. I remember @Unicron coming up to me to wish me a Happy New Year, and having no recollection of having done so when we were posting about the gig on thumped the following day.

Did I do that? Sorry dude, I was probably smashed. I actually do remember doing it now though.

What was it Dudley said about the Clash?

"This music appears utterly worthless to me. I have no idea what people might consider enjoyable about it."

Hardly in the spirit of album club but yeah I can apply that here. Overly busy for the sake of being overly busy rhythms, two-note guitar melodies followed by a quiet section followed by a loud heavy section; I wouldn't even consider it fun to play.

It all just does nothing for me; instrumental mathpostrock is a musical dead end to my ears no matter how many other 'beats' (afro, kraut, glam, SOUNDSCAPES, whatever) you put on top of it. On this album I thought Arbus was alright because it didn't do what the other songs did.

Having said that, clearly these people are having a blast and if others enjoy it then more power to them. Hopefully someone can explain the appeal to me.

Last edited:
What was it Dudley said about the Clash?

"This music appears utterly worthless to me. I have no idea what people might consider enjoyable about it."

Hardly in the spirit of album club but yeah I can apply that here. Overly busy for the sake of being overly busy rhythms, two-note guitar melodies followed by a quiet section followed by a loud heavy section; I wouldn't even consider it fun to play.

It all just does nothing for me; instrumental mathpostrock is a musical dead end to my ears no matter how many other 'beats' (afro, kraut, glam, SOUNDSCAPES, whatever) you put on top of it. On this album I thought Arbus was alright because it didn't do what the other songs did.

Having said that, clearly these people are having a blast and if others enjoy it then more power to them. Hopefully someone can explain the appeal to me.

only two more listens to go!

I got about two listens to this~ I suppose what I think about most instrumental music is that unless it's the soundtrack to something it's not gonna travel. I assume that this was the official OST to many nights of cans in around the East coast long before craft beer was invented. I'd guess this album represents a period of time to a lot of people. Anywho in the end up I realised I probably wasn't gonna click with it~ I ended up going and listening to `friendship` which is just a great sounding record, which, reminds me of a time drinking cans in the north west 7 years ago apparently. Bits of I am Brazil, cut you heart off from your head I love too, this one though, unless I hear it while something class is happening I'm not going to hang on to it. I would say at it's time it was a bunch of lads being forward thinking and trying to find new ways to rock out~ I don't think they really nailed it till a few records later though. I'm still going to see them live though. While it's not the OST to sitting at work or driving to me, in small clubs where it's just some people on a stage it's a different beast.

I can take or leave instrumental math rock in general, but TRM on stage at their best were devastating, or at least they devastated me on a few occasions. They're the band my band always wanted to be as good as

I've no idea how this album would sound to anyone who wasn't at those gigs, but I was and it has a special place in my heart

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back