What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (3 Viewers)

I've never read any Murakami.

Should I?
I liked Norwegian Wood and 1Q84, but they're the only novels of his I read. I have read the book about running and it did inspire me to take up running. I wash regularly so that wasn't an issue for me. I have his book about the Aum Shinrikyo sarin attack on the Tokyo Underground but haven't read it yet.

I liked Norwegian Wood and 1Q84, but they're the only novels of his I read. I have read the book about running and it did inspire me to take up running. I wash regularly so that wasn't an issue for me. I have his book about the Aum Shinrikyo sarin attack on the Tokyo Underground but haven't read it yet.

Underground is fantastic

I suppose i'll put him on the list so, somewhere very far down o_O

Last edited:
7117831._UY200_.jpg

Finished this yesterday. For being a relatively short book, it took me bloody ages. Some McCarthy I fly through, but I struggled with his writing style in this one. I had similar problems with the Border Trilogy, but they were genuinely long books and had lots of passages in spanish.

Anyway, I have seen this morning that the gang in Blood Meridian is based off a real gang from the 1800s. That's some crazy shit.

I think this is going to need another go after reading a few people's thoughts on it and being more familiar with the landscape. It is pretty heavy stuff.

7117831._UY200_.jpg

Finished this yesterday. For being a relatively short book, it took me bloody ages. Some McCarthy I fly through, but I struggled with his writing style in this one. I had similar problems with the Border Trilogy, but they were genuinely long books and had lots of passages in spanish.

Anyway, I have seen this morning that the gang in Blood Meridian is based off a real gang from the 1800s. That's some crazy shit.

I think this is going to need another go after reading a few people's thoughts on it and being more familiar with the landscape. It is pretty heavy stuff.
This is my favourite book

I tried twice, gave it up both times. Third time it totally clicked. Amazing. I think it's his best book. Must read it again.

I've only read it the once and it kind of appalled me, in both a good and bad way. I 100% need to read it again, in fact I'm gonna do that very soon.

It's going on my list too then. Maybe even next (think I have it on my kindle). Haven't really liked much I've read by him so far though (2 books I think)
Which two? If it was The Road and No Country for Old Men, they're very different in style to all his other books. Very sparse style whereas the others are almost Biblical.

I've never read any Murakami.

Should I?

I started with after the quake, a short story collection, around the time it came out. Then worked my way backwards. Never got round to Kafka on the Shore but I did read 1Q84 on release and I did not like it; it read like a self-parody (and the good stuff verges on that at the best of times, easy to read as precious).

This thread is a gold mine, by the way. Thanks for all the recommendations, one and all. Haven't read a novel in forever 'cause I haven't been in the headspace for it. It's memoirs and biographies and short stories in a virtual pile on my Kindle at the mo, plus Box Brown's Tetris graphic novel I just got for Xmas from Bee. And I got The Long Gaze Back in paperback the other day.

I bought this one almost 20 years ago and let it sit on my shelf (actually various shelves) ever since, intimidated by the size of the volume.
Each story is quite short, and the cinematic 50s americana feel of each might appeal to you as a movie fan. Although I will submit that they are almost exclusively sad tales and did leave me feeling down. But I love that stuff.

Read this over the weekend

51qdkwYbdkL._SX321_BO1204203200_.jpg

Hugely disappointing. I saw Marc Riley tweeting praise about this, and as the last remaining member of the band I was expecting a thoughtful piece of work. But nope, total cash grab, by the numbers dull autobiography. Reads like the Alan Partridge piss take.

Iron Gustav by Hans Fallada. It's about an arsehole cab driver and his arsehole children in Berlin before, during and after world war one. Enjoyable enough but nothing special. Very old fashioned. Colloquial Berlin speech is weirdly translated into a kinda half baked cockney slang.

Zoroaster's Children & Other Travels by Marius Kociejowski.

A collection of short travel pieces - Canada, France, Sicily, Iran, Syria and others. Mostly they're pretty good and a couple of them are excellent. I'm generally a bit wary of travel writing and at times here it feels like he's making something out of nothing much, at other times it's really great. So, a good book.

Next - Jocasta by Brian Aldiss. I'm expecting lots of juvenile bawdiness from this one.
some review somewhere said:
What if the gods of Greek myth had parallels with Freud’s notion of the unconscious? This is just one idea explored in Brian Aldiss’s sassy retelling of the stories of two prominent women of Thebes.

River Of Shadows: Eadweard Muybridge And The Technological Wild West by Rebecca Solnit.

Biography of photography pioneer Muybridge (he of the motion studies/horses fame) that also takes in the history of 19th century California, birth of the railroads, wars with native Americans. Solnit is a brilliant writer and more or less anything she does is worth reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back