What gig did you go to last night? (4 Viewers)

Oh yea, I forgot about that. A Giant Dog was my back up gig in case I couldn't get to Teenage Fanclub. Loved and often talked about on The Best Show by Tom.

Super Furry Animals in the Olympia.

First time I'd been to one of those "play the album in it's entirety" shows.

Good atmosphere, although the quiet bits were almost totally drowned out by the chatty fuckers all around me in the downstairs. But I didn't care. I was mad to hear the tunes, especially from Radiator. The old closing routine could do with an update though! I was hoping they'd play some of the B sides instead of donning the furry suits...

great gig but i think it sounded weird?
ive an ear infection so everything sounds weird at the moment but my mate said maybe it was mixed to sound like albums but i could barely hear the guitar. other than that, pretty great gig all the same.

Super Furry Animals in the Olympia.

First time I'd been to one of those "play the album in it's entirety" shows.

Good atmosphere, although the quiet bits were almost totally drowned out by the chatty fuckers all around me in the downstairs. But I didn't care. I was mad to hear the tunes, especially from Radiator. The old closing routine could do with an update though! I was hoping they'd play some of the B sides instead of donning the furry suits...
not a fan of those 'play 1 album' gigs. They lack the spontaneity of a random setlist.

Saw them at EP this year and they played a set like that. It was great. I've a couple of good mates who are mad into SFA. We were talking about making this gig a christmas night out. I ended up being away but don't reckon I'd have gone anyway (don't like my mates enough to make me go to a 1-album gig).

great gig but i think it sounded weird?
ive an ear infection so everything sounds weird at the moment but my mate said maybe it was mixed to sound like albums but i could barely hear the guitar. other than that, pretty great gig all the same.

I thought that the sound was good (better than the last couple of times I've been there), but you're right, the guitars weren't as prominent as they could have been.

We were talking about making this gig a christmas night out.

I think this was the Christmas pints night for a large portion of the crowd, no more than meself they obviously don't get out too often! The amount of lads I heard over the course of the night lamenting that they never get out any more was gas.

I think this was the Christmas pints night for a large portion of the crowd, no more than meself they obviously don't get out too often! The amount of lads I heard over the course of the night lamenting that they never get out any more was gas.

Yes, I was at one of those last week with a friend, Margaret glaspy in the grand social. I like it. We met up with another friend before it and had drinks.

I was also at Kate tempest the night before in whelans. She did a "play the one album show in album order" which I was a little disappointed abou , I understand why, her stuff follows a storyline but maybe an encore with a couple of her other songs, might have been good.

Low in Christchurch. Very good, wasn't mad on their selection of non-Christmas songs in the encore though
I thought Low were reliably great.. that Santa's Coming Over song is the creepiest Christmas tune I've ever heard. Learned the hard way though that you have to show up early to a gig in Christchurch.. we'd a fantastic view of a couple of very large stone pillars with a tiny sliver of somebody's guitar visible in between, probably learned a bit about Gothic architecture at least. Maybe they should consider limiting the capacity or selling restricted view tickets or something.

I thought Low were reliably great.. that Santa's Coming Over song is the creepiest Christmas tune I've ever heard. Learned the hard way though that you have to show up early to a gig in Christchurch.. we'd a fantastic view of a couple of very large stone pillars with a tiny sliver of somebody's guitar visible in between, probably learned a bit about Gothic architecture at least. Maybe they should consider limiting the capacity or selling restricted view tickets or something.

I arrived about 10 minutes before the first guy and had a decent spot. But I had a chat with @scutter about the seating problems re: church gigs, the unitarian has similar issues. Church gigs are a lovely idea, but they might actually only be lovely when it doesn't sell well.

We had ok seats but given that the ticket said doors at 8 and I got there at ten to 8, I can see how you're really going to get caught out with it. I would have liked one or two older songs in the second set but enjoyed them all.

We had ok seats but given that the ticket said doors at 8 and I got there at ten to 8, I can see how you're really going to get caught out with it. I would have liked one or two older songs in the second set but enjoyed them all.

You were pointed out to me as I left as a thumped person, and I now believe that we've met before. I think we had a mutual friend, FD, sitting between us at Stars Of The Lid.

At Low as well, another mesmerising performance, I only managed to get there just before Gaelynn Lea (who was great) but was able to get a seat with a slight view of the stage, just enough to see Alan Sparhawk, but not the rest of them.

Landslide was the highlight for me, it sounded like he was playing a pylon instead of a guitar.

Landside was utterly amazing, stunning how he wrestles such huge noises from such a tiny amp. View was poxy alright, but still a stunning gig. I love the last record so was very pleased with the second set, all bangers!

And Gaelynn Lea was mesmerising, really brilliant.

One of the last times I saw Low was in Christchurch, maybe 15 years ago? It was the Monday after ATP, and the support, Shannon Wright, played way over time, so Low only got 50 minutes to play or so. That said, we were so broken after travelling back from ATP we were all falling asleep enmasse in our seats...

went to Low in Kilkenny last night. Same lineup and exact same set as the Christchurch gig. The first guy (Erik) had awful sound problems during his set, so he cut it a bit short. Gaelynn was amazing again, and Low were incredible.

They looked a bit shattered though. They've been travelling for the last 3 weeks so that's understandable.

It felt like a different gig. It didn't have the added aura that Christchurch gave the Dublin gig. On the other hand, it was far more intimate (The Set Theatre is similar in size to Whelans - maybe a tad smaller).

2 wonderful gigs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back