Sly & The Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' On (1971) (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 71
  • Views 12K
  • Watchers 3
If you want to go feel it then go feel it, this forum here is for words.

Egg declared it not funky, I say it's funky. We can either debate that or not debate that, I don't give a fuck.

and yeah, its tied to race and tied to racial ideas about blackness and the idea that music invented by African-Americans is somehow closer to a "natural state" to the point where it bypasses your conscious mind and enters directly into your nervous system

Oh for fuck's sake. Dude, U2 are a rock band, but they don't rock.

Oh for fuck's sake. Dude, U2 are a rock band, but they don't rock.
OK.

You are wrong, this album is funky as hell and you're just too square to even begin to get it.

Happy?

Ah here. First you're policing what I say about music, now you're telling me what thumped is for.
Stop trying to police my policing. This is PC gone gone mad etc.

mlTjkYd.gif

Think I get where both Lili and Egg are coming from. The album is part of the actual history of funk music but is perhaps is a bit dark or whatever than some other funk or Egg just doesn't like it.
I thought it was interesting myself but am not really keeping up with the album club much for technical reasons.

This is a particular position though and ignores the fact that there are entire intellectual traditions devoted to doing exactly what you are saying can't be done (e.g. phenomenology, psychoanalysis). In fact the only intellectual tradition I can think of that would support this view would be a very hardcore objectivist science and even at that, I'd be willing to wager there's someone doing a neuro-science Ph.D. right now about analyzing which particular neurons trigger the physiological phenomenon known as "booty-shaking".

(apologies to Cornu for this gross oversimplification of what Neuroscience does).

(if someone isn't doing this then someone should).
I hope someone is doing it. I've always wanted to move into research involving music and how it works in the brain. I saw a paper a few years ago that looked at jazz pianists playing keyboards in an MRI scanner and they showed that different parts of the brain were utilised for playing the melody, improvising in the same key and freely improvising. The freely improvising condition just basically saw the frontal lobe (the main part for what most people would think of as conscious thought and planning) switch off. The scanner was just picking up the VIBES! So many possibilities there, including identifying the funktional components of the funk appreciation stream.

Oh come on! It might be funk on paper but if you're not feeling the funk then you're not feeling it and it doesn't matter who writes what about it.
I feel that about most funk in fairness. This Sly record worked for me and I love Parliament/Funkadelic but the likes of Prince I can largely only appreciate from a technical level. The booty remains unshaken.

What about funk metal?
"peak" funk tbh.

Think I get where both Lili and Egg are coming from. The album is part of the actual history of funk music but is perhaps is a bit dark or whatever than some other funk or Egg just doesn't like it.
I thought it was interesting myself but am not really keeping up with the album club much for technical reasons.

Yeah, I appreciate that position and the album doesn't fall under the cartoon idea of what funk looks and sounds like i.e. Bootsy Collins, but it was the sheer dismissive arrogance of his first post - "funk sounds, no funkiness" - that just left me a little big flabbergasted.

Last edited:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

OK.

You are wrong, this album is funky as hell and you're just too square to even begin to get it.

Happy?

/me bows

I'd be happier if you retracted the racism thing. If you go back through all my posts on TAC (esp the early ones when I was more engaged) you'll find I'm always blathering on about how any kind of meaningful experience of music is entirely subjective, and how I think attempting to eff the ineffable is futile and wrong-headed

/me bows

I'd be happier if you retracted the racism thing. If you go back through all my posts on TAC (esp the early ones when I was more engaged) you'll find I'm always blathering on about how any kind of meaningful experience of music is entirely subjective, and how I think attempting to eff the ineffable is futile and wrong-headed

I was about to say something like this. I think egg is wrong about this, but he is consistently wrong in an equal-opportunities kind of way.

/me bows

Fair enough, fair enough. If you go back over my posts in TAC you'll see I'm always blathering about the importance of questioning ones own assumptions and how subjectivity is always based in race/class/environment. I don't think you're a racist in the slightest but I think we all have our own unconscious biases and "meaningful experiences" can be created often along those lines .

But here, go back and listen to Africa Talks to You 'The Asphalt Jungle' and tell me you can't make a funk face and bop your head along with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back