NoMeansNo - Wrong (1989) (1 Viewer)

In other words, I fucking love this one. It was one of my picks. Wasn't the first one I heard (that would've been Dance of the Headless Bourgeoisie when it came out, after reading a review in Metal Hammer and getting it at the Sound Cellar) but it's their strongest top to bottom.

I've seen them live three times I think, way after the rest of youse (first show was in 2000). And of course I did an emailer with Tom (who doesn't play on this one but whatever) right here before their last gig a couple of years ago.

is this a grower? Just got through my first listen there and it felt like hard work.

That does usually bode well when the penny finally drops with an album.

But its quite abrasive. Thats my first impression anyway.

I can see that, for sure. They became less arguably abrasive and more playful on later records. It's definitely a grower, though; if it clicks, you'll find yourself mumbling the basslines and feeling the swing of those drums.

I was starting to like them but they kept on coming and I could have done with a change of tempo.

But fair enough, I'm up for giving it a fair shot.

Nothing too bad so far. That was just initial impressions.

Edit: them = the mumbling basslines

They're such a good humoured, nice bunch of lads that it's hard to hear this as aggressive any more. It's been a long time since I listened to it. I loved it then , and still do.

Just played track 1...I'm liking what I hear. I would have guessed Fugazi at a blind listen. Really Interesting rhythms, serious energy going on. These dudes can play....... It's aged really well. Intrigued.

Last edited:
a3474708164_10.jpg

The end of all things is one of my all time favourite songs. Love this album so much.

I saw them live a few times in the 90s but never got them. Stuck this on tonight when i was out and found the first couple of songs difficult to get into but i warmed to it after that. One of the songs sounds like their other band The Hanson Brothers - 110%. I look forward to listening another few times

Wrong really is the perfect gateway NoMeansNo album but some of the stuff that preceded it is incredible.. Small Parts Isolated And Destroyed (or The Day Everything Became Isolated And Destroyed CD, which has the The Day Everything Became Nothing EP on it too) would be my next stop. After that, try 0+2=1 which came immediately after Wrong (not counting the Jello Biafra collaboration)

NoMeansNo live though...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
I've tried this twice now.

Same problem each time. I was completely addicted to 'the worldhood of the world' - think someone up belfast way (who might still be active here actually) burned if for me and i listened to it about 4000 times. I forgot about it a few years back and now i keep opting to revisit it.

must try harder.

my thoughts on NMN essentially are that they are great. sometimes I find the vocal melodies weak, like they've been crow barred around riffs (like how many lines of no means no are just either singing precisely the riff, or just sustaining one note over each chord to fit a statement in).

oddly, i saw the front cover to the worldhood for the first time today.

great power trio. fun. gonna try this one again on the road at the weekend when i cant actually change the thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back