Tour de France 2007 thread (4 Viewers)

this image from monday's rest day is causing quite a bit of a stir

28b5ool.png

a quote from Tyler Hamilton's autobiography

"I watched my blood bag slowly empty..."

"Everybody else was in shorts and short sleeves. The three of us, still chilled, kept our sweatsuits on."

Its between 20 and 30 degrees in that photo. Look at the sweat on Mikael Nieve's arms. Yet theres Froome with arm warmers, and what looks like, a gilet.

Well I just learnt what a gilet is.

Would people be that brazen in 2016? With so much scrutiny?

Well I just learnt what a gilet is.

Would people be that brazen in 2016? With so much scrutiny?

well thats the thing. The bigger you are, the less scrutiny you're put under - by the authorities anyway.

Its like anything. The sport is a product. You sell that product by having the big names involved in the big events. Its not in the interest of those who own those events to have their big stars unavailable due to doping bans. So they make sure there are no doping bans.

No different from any other sport really, especially professional sports.

the amount of cyclists caught doping in recent years has been increasingly few - especially among the top riders.
I don't think anyone major is sitting out a ban at the moment.
not inspiring confidence in anti doping.

the amount of cyclists caught doping in recent years has been increasingly few - especially among the top riders.
I don't think anyone major is sitting out a ban at the moment.
not inspiring confidence in anti doping.
Paolini is probably the only one. And thats for cocaine.

Even Simon Yates is back riding.

The report yesterday on Russia. I'd say of you copy and pasted Britain in for Russia into that document, you wouldn't be too far wide of the mark.

Paolini is probably the only one. And thats for cocaine.

Even Simon Yates is back riding.

The report yesterday on Russia. I'd say of you copy and pasted Britain in for Russia into that document, you wouldn't be too far wide of the mark.

Cycling or sport in general? BTW I think this week is the 20th anniversary of Michelle Smith winning all those medals.

remember B.C. (before Cavendish) when the British cycling media would be really excited
when a Brit won any race in Europe ? but after Cav it came to be expected, mundane and
very taken for granted. I still think this is sad.

I felt for the first time today a small bit of that creeping into me today.
and I'm really annoyed with myself - really good times.

I cannot for the life of me understand why Mikel Landa doesn't ride the Vuelta.
It makes no since that he's not riding.

I'm annoyed as hell about Bennett getting relegated in the sprint yesterday. In my mind it was a defensive action. He never took his hands off the bars, and lead with his shoulder, not with his head. I trawled twitter afterwards to get the consensus. It was mostly in favour of Bennett, but some making the point that they've become overly-sensitive about sprints due to some of the really serious crashes that have happened of late (which in my book have all been the fault of race organisers due to placing of barriers, locations of sprint finishes, etc).

Sean Kelly wouldn't have a win to his name if he had to endure the 'rules' as they're being applied today.

The relegation came after a complaint from another team. Most relegations come from commissaires directly. I don't think they would have relegated him but for that complaint.

One of my old cycling buddies was a sprinter (placed in the Ras, etc) and he schooled me in the art of what is/isn't allowed. Bennett was well within his rights to do what he did. In fact, he would have been shirking his responsibility as the team's main sprinter had he not done what he did. Leipins was threatening to break up the lead-out train. The lead-out train must be respected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back