Sympathy for the Devil (1 Viewer)

Solutions
The devil here being paedophiles/ephebophiles/sex offenders generally.

Convicted rapist beaten and chased out of Dublin suburb by furious mob - Herald.ie

I remember reading the above last summer and being alone amongst anyone I raised the topic with in my sympathy for this guy - not for his crimes obviously, but the fact that he is continually forced out of housing and, as above, subject to a load of self-righteous thugs kicking his head in, with no real protection from the police. There's also the hysterical media element

The convicted criminal was staying only a short walk away from a local crèche and playgroup. Schools and community centres are also close to the address he was staying at.

Is there anywhere in the country that's not "a short walk away from" some sort of childcare facility? Should this guy be banished to the mountains of Wicklow/Kerry?

Elsewhere, the US recently introduced a law "to identify registered sex offenders with a special mark on their passports", to my eyes a deeply regressive move, especially given that legislation already exists over there to prevent such people from travelling.
There's also the matter of acts like Megan's law , which "requir[e] law enforcement authorities to make information available to the public regarding registered sex offenders", an invitation to vigilantism if ever I heard one, and there was talk here a few years back of introducing Sarahs law but I'm not sure if it has been legislated for yet.
As linked to in the 'passports' article above, it seems that "evidence on the effectiveness of these laws suggests that they may not prevent recidivism or sexual violence and result in more harm than good" while from a purely moralistic point of view, it seems to me that continuing to punish people after they've served their prison sentence is completely wrong.
What sayeth Thumped?

Yeah. I agree. You could kill someone, slash someone's face, assault and rob daily and still righteously sign up to one of these mobs and live among society in general despite being completely unfit to do so.

it seems to me that continuing to punish people after they've served their prison sentence is completely wrong.
Punishing them by having them on a register?
I don't know what you do. Pedophiles are highly recidivist is my understanding. I'm not sure how you balance the threat to children with the personal liberty of the offender.
Beating someone up for walking down the street should clearly be handled by the Gards in its own right.

Punishing them by having them on a register?
I don't know what you do. Pedophiles are highly recidivist is my understanding. I'm not sure how you balance the threat to children with the personal liberty of the offender.
Beating someone up for walking down the street should clearly be handled by the Gards in its own right.

Well, particularly when that register is open to the public. It's a license to jump on one's high horse and hound people from pillar to post. It seems to be particularly cruel and potentially counterproductive; it stops reintegration into society of the offender, making it more likely they will reoffend.
The data on recidivism is mixed it seems; the media play up the idea of a high recidivism rate whereas surveys suggest a low rate, however, the surveys are considered to be skewed by the fact that sex offences are rarely reported. There's a fuller explanation here.
On the guards handling such matters, it seems that, in the case above at least, they didn't

No arrests were made and sources said that there were no plans to make arrests in relation to the incident.

As Shaney alludes to, you can be an out and out scumbag but beat up a sex offender and you're a local hero and the police aren't too pushed about it.

Beautiful old house in Donegal that was once a railway station, burned to the ground because a guy left it in his will to a relative who was a convicted paedophile. I guess no one wanted him living there
12325256_10154048428841972_2047857972_n.jpg

Beautiful old house in Donegal that was once a railway station, burned to the ground because a guy left it in his will to a relative who was a convicted paedophile. I guess no one wanted him living there
12325256_10154048428841972_2047857972_n.jpg
If people were in any way consistent, we'd have no fucking churches left at all

it's bizarre that someone whose offense didn't involve children/minors can have that restriction on living near schools too

I thought that too, just Googled it and found that "Studies indicate that sexual offenders look for victims closer to home compared to other types of criminal and provide additional support for residency restriction policies".

Against that I would have thought that child sexual abuse is a distinct category from adult sexual abuse/assault, I don't see that it follows that someone who sexually assaults a man/woman is going to do the same to a child, paedophilia is a whole other sexual taste.

Housing Restrictions For Sex Offenders Unconstitutional, California Court Rules

California ruled such restrictions illegal, I wonder if the Supreme Court will take it on.

apart from which it's obviously purely a PR stunt for politicians anyway; there's no practical way to have someone back in society but never near children

The data on recidivism is mixed it seems; the media play up the idea of a high recidivism rate whereas surveys suggest a low rate, however, the surveys are considered to be skewed by the fact that sex offences are rarely reported. There's a fuller explanation here.
while not all child sex offenders have high rates of recidivism, a specific subset—those who target extrafamilial male children—do frequently reoffend;

sure that's mad. I did not know that at all.

I dunno, wtf is causing people to do this? Can we address that issue? or are they just born pariahs and should indeed be nuked on the moon?

The vigilantes here, I'd wonder how many are just pursuing their own interests in shaming and torturing others by choosing as their targets those who no-one will want to defend.

The very idea of 'childhood' is something that has changed greatly over the past 200 years and is routinely abused (word specifically chosen here) by adults to make any argument they want, in its most basic sense "won't someone think of the children??". There's usually little recourse for the person on the other side. Who is ever gonna win a political debate by siding against children?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back