Fugazi - In on the Kill Taker (1993) (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 117
  • Views 14K
  • Watchers 6
I was so psyched on my first listen with the stuttering feedback intro, breaking into that great guitar sound...then the vocals hit me with a total buzz kill.

Playing is great. Vocals are taking their toil. 34 might be a bit late to be coming to this record. I still love Therapy? So I can still handle that type of energy. I guess I'm just missing the teenage connection to this album.

I love the end of 23 Beats Off. By the time I've listened to it and the next instrumental track though I can't be bothered with any more of their vox.

Currently unrated. To come back to.

I have no problem with any of the vocals, they're distinctive and they're really effective with the music, I can't imagine anything else working better.
ah, i was only jesting. does strike me that vocals seem to be the no.1 issue people have had with a lot of the albums so far. newsom, n.m.h., fugazi, television, &c.

for me, vocals can be, often are, the deciding factor in liking an album or not. i can listen to average lyrics/music/production, even styles i don't much care for, if the vocals are up my street. but if they're not, it doesn't matter how good the lyrics/music/production are. doesn't matter how 'distinctive' the vocals are. i don't like newsom, bowie; do like n.m.h., do like e.g. robbie basho, supreme dicks, mountain goats. there's no hard/fast rule.

I don't like the singing much either. Never have. It reminds me of football chants or something. This is one of a bunch of Fugazi albums I own (the others are Repeater, the Fugazi EP and Steady Diet..) and I like this the least. I totally get why people worship this band and I love their whole "shtick" and the few time I saw them "back in the day" they were amazing but I had to turn this off after side 1. Might give it another go tomorrow though.

Mind you, if they reformed I'd be there...

This is the first Fugazi I've ever listened to. I need more than the 4 or 5 listens from this week to get my head fully around it, but I love it. I don't get the negativity about the vocals, but given that its a commonly held opinion (based on this thread) I'll not argue. To me it seems the vocals suit the songs very well.

The first half of the album (or so) is fantastic. My initial impressions of some of the songs were 'this is dull', but then things kick off, and all is great. And I don't mind the dull intros on repeated listens, knowing whats coming.

I wouldn't pin this to a single genre though. Some of seems straight up punk, some straight up rock, whereas 'Last Chance for a Slow Dance' wouldn't be out of place on a grunge record.

I went into town to buy this last weekend. I couldn't see a Fugazi section anywhere I looked in Tower. Discogs it is, then.

Whoever it was that mentioned they sat and listened, and studied every note, and beat, and word of this album, thats kinds of exactly how I feel about it right now. Its great stuff.

4/5

Edit: Meant to say, it reminds me a little of Fucked Up in parts. 'Facet Squared', anyway. What a song!.

This is one of a bunch of Fugazi albums I own (the others are Repeater, the Fugazi EP and Steady Diet..) and I like this the least

Here Hugh, I actually reckon the final two LPs, The Argument and End Hits, are the one's you'd like most. A lot more diverse and interesting, I think, than the earlier records. Give 'em a lash

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm at the halfway point, minor complaint, the 3 or 4 minutes of noise and feedback on 23 beats off, I find that really tedious. next song...
When I recorded the record to tape for the ould walkman, I flipped the sides so that bit was at the end and I could just fast forward the tape (man, I wore out that tape.). I appreciate its art, maaaan. But yeah, it drags. However,, it's not out of place in the context of the record, and it's as fearless as anything they've done. 4 minutes of feedback, yeah, fuck you. Love it. But love the option of skipping past it too.

When I recorded the record to tape for the ould walkman, I flipped the sides so that bit was at the end and I could just fast forward the tape (man, I wore out that tape.). I appreciate its art, maaaan. But yeah, it drags. However,, it's not out of place in the context of the record, and it's as fearless as anything they've done. 4 minutes of feedback, yeah, fuck you. Love it. But love the option of skipping past it too.
I don't think it's an arty thing at all, I think it's just enjoying some fuck off noise at the end of a blistering song. I didn't even notice it went on that long, sits there perfectly.

it's not out of place in the context of the record, and it's as fearless as anything they've done. 4 minutes of feedback, yeah, fuck you. Love it. But love the option of skipping past it too.

Don't get me wrong, love a bit of a noise & feedback wig out (the diamond sea by sonic youth for one) but make it brief.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back