Television - Marquee Moon (1977) (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 77
  • Views 9K
  • Watchers 3
saw richard lloyd live last year, dude is a phenomenal guitar player. only marquee moon tune he played was friction, which apparently was the one he wrote the music for

Great album; I never tire of hearing it. I love the sound of it and the guitars; clean, very unaffected and that mix of rhythm and lead playing is very attractive with what sounds like very few chords.
Verlaine's vocal has grown on me over the years but the instrumentation and playing is so good, nothing else really gets in the way.
Side two is slightly weaker imo; I can take or leave Guiding Light and Torn Curtain, but side one is a killer from start to finish.

Saw them playing in the Academy (last year?) and they played mostly Marquee Moon and it still sounded fantastic.

Maybe they didn't rip up any rule books, it sounds to me like an updated version of old school rock'n'roll with some later 60s pop sensibilities in the song writing thrown in. I can't really hear any punk influence or link at all. The guitars sound still sound great to me, the tone is so silky and warm and the playing is spot on thanks to all the practicing they did no doubt. Effortless and light. I think practicing suits this kinda music. Ambitious young lads wanted to get it right. I do think they put a new twist on guitar rock too but who cares whether a 40 year rock old album was unorthodox 40 years ago or not!

Here, have all Pono re-releases been remastered? I downloaded the pono version of Marquee Moon last night and it sounds way better than it ever did on cd. I was in the "like it, don't love it" camp until last night but my judgement could have been clouded by the wine.

WTF.

Anyway, I really like the title track off this album and it's pretty much all i play off it. I know i've listened to the rest but I also know it's not nearly as good.

WTF.

Anyway, I really like the title track off this album and it's pretty much all i play off it. I know i've listened to the rest but I also know it's not nearly as good.

Ah now, Venus in fairness!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There's a serious dip in songwriting quality in the second half. Guiding Light, Prove It and Torn Curtain are not doing it for me this week, I'm going to have to give it something like 68% or 70% over all but I'll round it up to 4 stars because 3 seems a little harsh.

Won't have time to get three listens in. I agree with shaney in that the second half is a bit of a damp squid. The title track is so good i'd forgive nearly anything for it. I agree in with people saying that the performances can be a little flat in places. the live versions have more vavoom. first half is great altogether though and also, more solos in general (unless you are muse).
3.8 / 5

I'm in the 3.8/5 gang.

I don't think theres a bad song on there, but I find it tough going to listen to the album right through. And the best explanation as to why that is, is what people have already said about what their main criticisms of the album are. They being; 1: his voice, and 2: its too polished, somehow.

Give me any 1, 2 or 3 songs from this in a go and I'll lap them up. Any more than that and I'll lose interest.

Venus reminds me a bit of Betty Davis Eyes. In a good way.

I never heard another Television album, other than this one. I've never seen them live, nor am I overly familiar with any of the side-projects/post Television projects by any of the band members. I don't feel that motivated to either, after a week of listening to this.

I get all the praise. I agree with all the arguments for the merits of this album. I just find it a bit difficult to listen to right through

I'm in the 3.8/5 gang.

I don't think theres a bad song on there, but I find it tough going to listen to the album right through. And the best explanation as to why that is, is what people have already said about what their main criticisms of the album are. They being; 1: his voice, and 2: its too polished, somehow.

Give me any 1, 2 or 3 songs from this in a go and I'll lap them up. Any more than that and I'll lose interest.

Venus reminds me a bit of Betty Davis Eyes. In a good way.

I never heard another Television album, other than this one. I've never seen them live, nor am I overly familiar with any of the side-projects/post Television projects by any of the band members. I don't feel that motivated to either, after a week of listening to this.

I get all the praise. I agree with all the arguments for the merits of this album. I just find it a bit difficult to listen to right through
this album is like sitting down with a good novel, for me. I think it needs your attention. I couldn't listen to this all the way through very often, but I find it's very rewarding when you do.

I also don't get the too polished criticism that some people have mentioned; I mean Slint were polished ffs! Slint wouldn't have existed without this album. I think the playing and the arrangements on here are extraordinary. I think, once again, we might be too far removed from when this album was recorded and released to fully appreciate how sonically different it was. All we've heard are bands influenced by it since its release. That's why it still sounds good all these years later. It doesn't date. It always sounds modern - how the fuck did they do that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back