Television - Marquee Moon (1977) (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 77
  • Views 9K
  • Watchers 3
Tom Verlaine is a tool, but his playing on this is great.
Re Hectors point above about spontaneity, if you listen to the LP demo's it's fair to say that Lloyd's solo's are identikit, but that was always kind of the point, what's great about his playing is how mathematically precise it is. Verlaine's however are totally different on the demo's, bar the odd phrase, he pretty much mixed it up every time.

Love the story about Marquee Moon itself that the drummer didn't know it was being recorded and thought they were just warming up so was deliberately messing about a bit. The relaxed feel of his playing on that is my favourite thing about it.

I'll need to reappraise this but I never really got into it. Think I got the first three Wire albums and this at the same time and Television just sounded a bit bland in comparison. I don't dislike them but this is like the Big Star album, good but not the masterpiece it's made out to be. More thoughts when I refresh my ears with it.

Has anyone read Please Kill Me? An Oral history of punk. Verlaine isn't alone in being a dick. Apparently they all were. Even Iggy.

I haven't listened to this in years. I look forward to giving it a whirl this very evening

I had it on vinyl but it was never heavily playlisted in chez gaz

It's practically joyless.
Huh? Although it is a virtuoso record, I think it has plenty of levity and bounce on it.

Marquee Moon is a seriously orthodox record.
Now you're just talking bollocks. It is about as unique an album as I've ever heard. Tell us what it sounds like that makes it orthodox?

The only issue I have with it is that it's too trebly a recording.

Huh? Although it is a virtuoso record, I think it has plenty of levity and bounce on it.

Now you're just talking bollocks. It is about as unique an album as I've ever heard. Tell us what it sounds like that makes it orthodox?

The only issue I have with it is that it's too trebly a recording.
I personally find guitars to be pretty ordinary. Guitar solos to be pretty pointless. It's an opinion, neither right nor wrong, and certainly not bollocks.

What makes it unorthodox? It's pretty standard guitar rock at the end of the day. It's well played and well performed but they certainly didn't rip up the rule book. Maybe the songs are a bit longer than would be played on the radio but it's hardly prog rock in that regard.

Maybe they didn't rip up any rule books, it sounds to me like an updated version of old school rock'n'roll with some later 60s pop sensibilities in the song writing thrown in. I can't really hear any punk influence or link at all. The guitars sound still sound great to me, the tone is so silky and warm and the playing is spot on thanks to all the practicing they did no doubt. Effortless and light. I think practicing suits this kinda music. Ambitious young lads wanted to get it right. I do think they put a new twist on guitar rock too but who cares whether a 40 year rock old album was unorthodox 40 years ago or not!

Here, have all Pono re-releases been remastered? I downloaded the pono version of Marquee Moon last night and it sounds way better than it ever did on cd. I was in the "like it, don't love it" camp until last night but my judgement could have been clouded by the wine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back