General Election 2016 (1 Viewer)

That's probably the biggest disappointment here, a supposedly 'principled' politician turns out to be no better than the rest of them.
I think they're all in 'the game'.
It's a career for most of them anyway. And they want to get paid.
Once elected they plug into the system and guzzle.

As long as Gino Kenny holds the line I'll still have faith.

That's probably the biggest disappointment here, a supposedly 'principled' politician turns out to be no better than the rest of them.
I'm trying to keep an open-mind on it for now. I think her big thing is a referendum on the 8th Amendment and I know Enda favours holding one too.

She tweeted the day before her big faux pas saying she would not be part of any government that did not support holding such a referendum.

Though publically she gave her reasoning as being moneys that were going to be made available for public services. That doesn't wash with me. If she had said it was because of the 8th Amendment, I'd have been grand with that. I don't buy that other shite.

I think they're all in 'the game'.
It's a career for most of them anyway. And they want to get paid.
Once elected they plug into the system and guzzle.

I guess she (and others) could be painted as urban versions of the Healy Raes; play to the electorate by telling them what they want to hear but always with an eye to their own bottom line.
She seems to be angling for a ministry as evidenced by her support for Enda, this story might put an end to that idea but Ireland being Ireland I suspect the story will just go away and it'll be business as usual next week.

I'm trying to keep an open-mind on it for now. I think her big thing is a referendum on the 8th Amendment and I know Enda favours holding one too.

Does he though? He might be making the right noises now but given FG's not insubstantial rural vote (which would be mostly of a 'conservative' nature) I think he'd be quite happy to see the whole thing go away.

Any word if FF will make not repealing the 8th a condition of support?

I haven't seen any mention of it in these negotiations, as above I suspect that FG would be glad to see it go away as an issue (wishful thinking perhaps) whereas FF are happy to stay silent for the most part, but most importantly, refuse to endorse it, so shoring up the 'conservative' vote.

Does he though? He might be making the right noises now but given FG's not insubstantial rural vote (which would be mostly of a 'conservative' nature) I think he'd be quite happy to see the whole thing go away.

Somewhat surprisingly when farmers are polled they're in favour of it.

I think he'd be happy to have the vote but for it to be defeated (as in, the 8th amendment stays).

On Zappone. Shes in for 2 reasons; 1: the young vote (on the back of the Marriage referendum), and 2: the lack of a credible 'left-leaning' candidate in the constituency (who isn't in the AAA).

I think she's fucked if theres another election soon.

Somewhat surprisingly when farmers are polled they're in favour of it.

True, I still think there's an urban/rural divide although not perhaps as great as I had made out, although at the Dail level the divide seems greater - maybe the TDs just haven't caught up to the changing attitudes of their constituents?

I think he'd be happy to have the vote but for it to be defeated (as in, the 8th amendment stays).

On Zappone. Shes in for 2 reasons; 1: the young vote (on the back of the Marriage referendum), and 2: the lack of a credible 'left-leaning' candidate in the constituency (who isn't in the AAA).

I think she's fucked if theres another election soon.

A vote on repeal would probably pass though, he must know that. I guess it all depends on what will replace it; will there be a more limited '8th' or is it just done away with in its entirety? That may not fly.

True, I still think there's an urban/rural divide although not perhaps as great as I had made out, although at the Dail level the divide seems greater - maybe the TDs just haven't caught up to the changing attitudes of their constituents?

I have a sort of half formed, poorly thought out theory that as farmers deal with more pregnancies than anyone they're less precious and sentimental about human ones.

Last edited:
A vote on repeal would probably pass though, he must know that. I guess it all depends on what will replace it; will there be a more limited '8th' or is it just done away with in its entirety? That may not fly.

Do you think so? I'm not convinced. I actually think it wouldn't be repealed. Its an issue that too small a section of the population are passionate about. I'd fear anyone on the fence would play it 'safe' and keep things as they are.

I hope I'm wrong but this is an issue I could see taking a couple of go's before going through.

Do you think so? I'm not convinced. I actually think it wouldn't be repealed. Its an issue that too small a section of the population are passionate about. I'd fear anyone on the fence would play it 'safe' and keep things as they are.

I hope I'm wrong but this is an issue I could see taking a couple of go's before going through.

If it was a simple repeal it may not but a repeal with replacement of something similar that allows for abortion in case of fatal foetal abnormality, rape, what have you may get by. That would probably be a nightmare to word though - you'd need something effective that isn't too wordy for fear of switching people off and,as you say, people opting for the status quo over the unknown.

And they're going to elect Michael McDowell too.

Meanwhile at trinners Norris got in on the first count. Power is currently polling 5th behind Bacik who will almost certinaly get in again, the current SU pres (who I voted for) and the near anonymous third sitting senator.

And they're going to elect Michael McDowell too.

Meanwhile at trinners Norris got in on the first count. Power is currently polling 5th behind Bacik who will almost certinaly get in again, the current SU pres (who I voted for) and the near anonymous third sitting senator.
How many do they let in?

What are Power's chances?

How many do they let in?

What are Power's chances?

3. She's currently a couple of hundred votes behind the 3rd and 4th placed candidates who are only 70 apart. She's likely to be eliminated in the count after next so her transfers will probably decide who will get the third seat.

"Somewhat interestingly" you might think that as a female politician in her 30's with some progressive ideas who grew up on a council estate she might transfer well to the sitting SU president polling ahead of her who also could be described as such but she studied BESS in college and the other dude who is in the running for the third seat (Bacik will make her way over the line eventually for the second seat, too far ahead to be caught) lectured that course so might get transfers from her by virtue of people voting for who they know.

God I love elections. I hate politics and politicians, but I love elections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back