Comments sections on news sites (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 72
  • Views 7K
  • Watchers 2
There's too much OTB no? Three hours a night and then God knows how many over the weekend. Fuck sport, give me more news.
And it feels like about a quarter of that time is dead air as one of them makes a terrible joke and the other one leaves him hanging. Sounds like bad student radio.

But thinking about, maybe comments on news sites is designed to instead of a person posting their angry responses on internet forums, they post it on the articles themselves so it acts as something to stop people from discussing the article elsewhere and have the argument on their own website.

Exactly this. Online publications can't afford to be having us talking about their content on thumped.

Especially online places that spent the first few years of the internet deriding places like thumped.

Its also had a huge effect on actual writing. A wise paper will have polarising articles for/against any topic that is generating content. As much as i like people sharing gene kerrigan articles, a part of me always goes 'well, that worked out well for them'.

I mean the most journalisticaly solid thing a publisher could do would be to make the for/against collaborate, but there is more money in polarisation.

top comment so far:

"The single white male is not often represented in media and culture so is it any surprise when he takes to a forum where he finally has a voice? He's not represented because he's not one of the 'approved minorites' beloved of Liberals - he's not female, gay, of colour, disabled or an immigrant so he doesn't matter. He is a minority but ignored or ridiculed instead of valued, hence his anger. is it any wonder then that he strives to be heard?"

top comment so far:

"The single white male is not often represented in media and culture so is it any surprise when he takes to a forum where he finally has a voice? He's not represented because he's not one of the 'approved minorites' beloved of Liberals - he's not female, gay, of colour, disabled or an immigrant so he doesn't matter. He is a minority but ignored or ridiculed instead of valued, hence his anger. is it any wonder then that he strives to be heard?"
I presume thats ironic?

or am I giving the author too much credit?

I presume thats ironic?

or am I giving the author too much credit?
i considered that myself...decided it was too much credit

different commenter, seems even more like it must be ironic but turns out not to be based on their other posts:

"As a matter of fact Una, in this article, has clearly defined the only real minority in these matters. When it comes to gender politics it is anyone "who is not male, straight, white", a coalition of minorities, against the straight white male. So female and minority commentators do not have the right to play the victimised minority card. That card now belongs to the straight white male."

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back