The WTF Thread (4 Viewers)

It's having one Irish character that was congenitally stupid and another that basically all he could say was drink. (and feck and girls, yes)
That is a double whammy of Irish stereotypes right there.

That's what foreigners are laughing at. Not Morgan the straight man or whatever 'sophistication' was in the humour or whatever digs there were at the church.

I do hate to go on about the same thing, but it's like everyone seeing a dress is blue and I see it covered in puke.
I can't unsee the puke, even though I know I'll never convince anyone.

Last edited:
i'm happy enough to enjoy the classic irish pastime of taking the piss out of ourselves without worrying what the brits might think of us

although in fairness that's another classic irish pastime

It's having one Irish character that was congenitally stupid and another that basically all he could say was drink. (and feck and girls, yes)
That is a double whammy of Irish stereotypes right there.

That's what foreigners are laughing at. Not Morgan the straight man or whatever 'sophistication' was in the humour or whatever digs there were at the church.

I do hate to go on about the same thing, but it's like everyone seeing a dress is blue and I see it covered in puke.
I can't unsee the puke, even though I know I'll never convince anyone.
It's not for foreigners though. It's like Americans not getting Fawlty Towers, there might be silly English stereotypes that they think are funny on some superficial level but at the end of the day they don't get it. And maybe American sitcoms have a lot of subtext that I'm missing and they're funnier than I give them credit for.

the majority of monty python involves taking the piss out of the eccentricities and neuroticisms of the english but it's obvious a lot of americans, even apparently intelligent ones, mainly find monty python funny because it's silly english chaps doing mad things with a funny british accent. you don't see the brits wringing their hands over whether the yanks are laughing for the right reasons, because they're not pathologically insecure about themselves as a nationality.

I don't particularly care what the English are doing.
There just seems to be a low level of awareness that they are laughing at a show with a stupid Irishman and a drunk one, and we're apparently laughing at a sophisticated comedy about priests.

I think Americans get Monty Python just fine. Their two biggest hits are set in the Middle Ages and Roman era. They're hardly a comedy of manners. Everyone's watching the same thing as far as I can tell.

I don't particularly care what the English are doing.
There just seems to be a low level of awareness that they are laughing at a show with a stupid Irishman and a drunk one
aren't you contradicting yourself there, if your problem is that not enough people care what the english are doing

Well, I imagine that if he wanted it green-lit it would have had some bearing on things.
To some degree yes but overall it really doesn't fit the bill of a typical British sitcom of the time.

Then again, you can probably boil all comedies down to laughing at a working class Londoner or laughing at a middle class English person or a stupid American and ignore all the context, subtext and teletext. Do many British people worry that other nations are laughing at their stereotypes? Does Rab C Nesbitt fall into the same category as Father Jack? Trigger from Only Fools and Horses versus Dougal? I think worrying about Brits only laughing at the drunken, stupid Irish stereotype says more about your own insecurities.

aren't you contradicting yourself there, if your problem is that not enough people care what the english are doing
It's the difference between caring and knowing.

I wonder do Irish people know that they are watching a different show than the English, and are laughing at different things. I haven't seen evidence that they do.

That Twitter video on the last page, to me, celebrates similar stereotypes and the reaction here is embarrassment. Same with people on FB today moaning about Plastic Paddys.
That's the disconnect for me.

Would Irish people care that the English are really just laughing at a thick paddy and a drunk one on a TV show? I suspect that they would probably not. I've read plenty about the show though and I've never really seen it addressed. That's all.

It's more "You do know they're laughing at us, right?" rather than "Hey, they're all laughing at us! This is an outrage!"
The English are gonna do what they do.

And i know I say it too much. And I know I'm on the wrong side of this probably. Everyone loves the show. In ireland and the UK. I'm in a very tiny minority not liking the show, but i can't help seeing things the way the I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back