Your work situation (7 Viewers)

snakybus

Website
www.breakingtunes.com
What do you think of it?

I've been working for myself for a year now, from home.

Pros: not having to go to meetings, no commute time, working away on one thing without being disturbed/diverted, and the main thing: seeing the family a lot more

Cons: whole days where I don't go outside; lack of hombres/loneliness (when family is out and about/at school); the nature of the work, though more interesting than some jobs I've done, is conveyor-belt-like in its requirement and that's something that doesn't look like changing; no travel; doing your own taxes and other admin; and the MAIN thing: self-discipline

On the whole, I found the whole loneliness/cabin-fever thing quite hard at the start but now I don't really mind it at all. Or at least, it's better than the alternative. It helps to try and keep busy and to actually get some substantial work done each day.

Been working at home for years and years. Can be hard to manage the discipline needed, but is great for the freedom is allows to deal with other non-work shite.

I think I'd find it really hard to handle working structured hours in an office now.

Don't mind the loneliness/cabin fever as most people are scum of the earth, hey!

You two as people who do music, do find that notionally if you had some work down time you'd think about doing some stuff for that, but in practice you can't because some motherfucker is always just about to phone you or e-mail you and you can't get into your stride?

I work from home occasionally and I really like it. I will strum the guitar every now and again and pat the dog when he comes in for a visit.
The discipline of not working over time is something I need to work on. I tend to over compensate for the guitar breaks and work much longer into the evening than I should.

If I had a better home office set up, better chair, desk, computer, software etc I'd do it much more often.

I don't interact much with people in the office so I don't miss the isolation, in fact I prefer it.

I worked from home for ages but now in an office job with flexitime. I am a bit more disciplined in work and it is a joy to be able to clock out and not have to think about work again until I clock in. When I worked from home and for myself I was constantly worrying about work done and not done.

I have no partner or kids so the loneliness did really get to me and as hard as it has been to adjust to this new situation, the social aspect of it is infinitely better than relying on anonymous Thumped and Twitter type people to keep me from losing my mind.

I did like being able to work while in bed or sitting in my dressing gown, I also liked picking my hours. Sometimes late at night I have a burst of energy and motivation and can do shedloads of work in the wee small hours. Not having to commute was great too, a money and time saver, and sometimes getting on a bus of a shitty morning and it being full of shitty people going about their shitty lives can be hard to take.

You two as people who do music, do find that notionally if you had some work down time you'd think about doing some stuff for that, but in practice you can't because some motherfucker is always just about to phone you or e-mail you and you can't get into your stride?

Put phone on silent, and return to posing in front of mirror with hairbrush microphone = most of my workday

For reals though, it's great for music. When I got the fancy to work on my solo record, I was able to set aside an hour or two in the day when the house was empty to get loads done.

Actually, there's one tune on the record where you can hear the phone hopping with work messages on one of the vocal tracks, that I couldn't be arsed replacing. Hope Apple don't claim a co-write.

Office hours are 9.30 – 5.30 but generally do 9 – 6 at least most days. I’m expected to work evenings, early mornings and weekends quite often. I get that time back though.

I've been working at home for years and years now. Occasionally I'd like to be in a creative environment with ideas bouncing etc. Other times I'm happy just to do the work my own way and not have to explain anything to anyone. There's some people that I communicate with everyday almost that I have never met. We're talking 10 years + here. I often wonder what sort of opportunities I've missed out on by not being part of a bigger thing and not having facetime with people.
However it is great for your lifestyle and stress levels. No commute, I can get a coffee at any time, I can get one of the lads from school, be here while homework is being done, not have to pay for child minders, put the dinner on, go to the gym, put on a wash, clean out the fire, write songs, play guitar, walk the dogs. All these little things make life easier, sure what's money anyway?

Put phone on silent, and return to posing in front of mirror with hairbrush microphone = most of my workday

For reals though, it's great for music. When I got the fancy to work on my solo record, I was able to set aside an hour or two in the day when the house was empty to get loads done.

Actually, there's one tune on the record where you can hear the phone hopping with work messages on one of the vocal tracks, that I couldn't be arsed replacing. Hope Apple don't claim a co-write.

I mostly work from home, though not always on my own* but on days that I am and I'm well on top of things with nothing pressing to do I can pick up a guitar and faff about with it, do some practicing, even some writing*. But if I'm recording or mixing I fall into a mental rabbit hole and would find the phone ringing to be maddeningly frustrating, and I can't really let my calls go to voicemail.

*Actually I once heard @Scientician 0.8; do a radio session one morning a couple of years ago and walked right into the house to "finish" the chords and lyrics to a tune that I only had the first two lines to previously, took me 10-15 minutes**, went back out to the office with coffee for everyone as a cover.

** Have spent much of the past 2 years writing/arranging all the other parts for it.

In reality you guys pay me to exist. I've been disabled for about a decade and can generally work part time at best. I relate to the 'work from home' posts above in that I spend an amazing amount of time in the house on my own. Its tricky to find jobs I can do so its sort of like being on the dole forever, with the occasional holiday in some office or something.

Love my job. City centre, flexi time, very flexible for working in band commitments. Big office so there's pros and cons to that but generally I like the sociability of it. The work is usually pretty interesting and not very stressful. Could pay more which is probably the biggest complaint but not top of my priority right so works out quite well. Maybe that will change

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back