New Manics single (2 Viewers)

I was conflicted about whether or not to head to this show too but apparently it sold out in a couple of minutes so it's not really an issue now. I was kind of shocked. As far as I know they haven't manged to sell out the Olympia the last few times they played here
they've sold it out months in advance every time actually.

I wasn't surprised at this though, there'd be thousands of people in Ireland with no interest in them beyond this one album. I assume they're gonna have a Richey hologram.

Did you get a ticket @Lili Marlene ?
Standing was gone after about 10 seconds, could only get two seating. My back'll probably thank me for it afterwards.
I actually did, got standing, was waiting on the hour and all!

I'm still a bit dubious tbh but i'd probably be kicking myself if I didn't go. FOMO man, FOMO.

how was this? I'm going tonight.

I saw a photo on Twitter that showed Nicky Wire jumping. It looked like he got up to a decent height.

But I've also heard that 1985 has been dropped from the set. Contrary pricks.

I saw a photo on Twitter that showed Nicky Wire jumping. It looked like he got up to a decent height.

it was......

interesting.

and weird.

but the band are on form. They do the Holy Bible as a 3-piece and I was nerding out, seeing if James would do various fiddly guitar bits (which he wasn't playing on the bootlegs I heard from the 1994 tours) and he DID. One hell of a guitarist.

I am very uncomfortable seeing lads punching the air and singing along to a song like 4st 7lbs but sure, that's just me. Hearing Donkeys live was beautiful though. What a song!

hey dude, expected to see you there somewhere.

It was great, to actually hear them play it properly and as a 3 piece with no accompaniment was brilliant. THB set was like the strangest karaoke ive ever been at.

I think they dropped 1985 for Postcards, which I actually prefer from hearing 1985 so many times in the auld days. Was hoping for Comfort Comes or Valley Boy but couldnt expect a pure rarities gig.
Donkeys though....probably my favourite non THB moment.

Nicky mentioned wandering round town to find Tower and disappointed it was closed. Then he found the new one 'with a coffee shop and everything'...lol

thanks for the reports! I just realised I'm very unsure of the lyrics to Mausoleum so won't be able to do karaoke the whole way through the gig. I'll give it a shot though.

thanks for the reports! I just realised I'm very unsure of the lyrics to Mausoleum so won't be able to do karaoke the whole way through the gig. I'll give it a shot though.

yeah even I was a bit

"blah oblela la la la
blah oblalal
blah boalala lala
obliterates your meaning
obliterates your meaning"

Also had a bit of a laugh at James when he forgot the second verse to PCP. I wanted to hear the King Cigarette line already!

Been listening to the Manics stuff I disliked or had no time for back in the day (@ilovehoovering @chris d @sleepy )

It sounds depressing but I have found that if I just lower my expectations I am able to enjoy Send Away the Tigers, even shite like Imperial Bodybags is a bit of a laugh. I've been listening to various b-sides from the post-2000 years and there's some good stuff there.

Been re-assessing Know Your Enemy as well. On the one hand, it's still bad and I was right in 2001 that it's just a lot of good guitar riffs and solos and average lyrics making bad songs, on the other it's actually pretty good start to finish. It is not their Sandinista! as Nicky always tries to sell it, but there's some very interesting things going on; e.g. oh, those sounds on Dead Martys are an attempt at being Joy Division, good for them, and before Interpol as well.

I was looking at some interviews from Nicky about where he was talking about reading over Richey's lyrics and going "A. I can never be this good, and B. Look where being this good leads you" and I think he has a point. Been really trying to see things from their perspective.

Anyway, it's been fun catching up with the dads. I'll have to try Postcards from a Young Man onwards with this attitude.

needed to talk to someone about this so here we are.

Last edited:
Been listening to the Manics stuff I disliked or had no time for back in the day (@ilovehoovering @chris d @sleepy )

It sounds depressing but I have found that if I just lower my expectations I am able to enjoy Send Away the Tigers, even shite like Imperial Bodybags is a bit of a laugh. I've been listening to various b-sides from the post-2000 years and there's some good stuff there.

Been re-assessing Know Your Enemy as well. On the one hand, it's still bad and I was right in 2001 that it's just a lot of good guitar riffs and solos and average lyrics making bad songs, on the other it's actually pretty good start to finish. It is not their Sandinista! as Nicky always tries to sell it, but there's some very interesting things going on; e.g. oh, those sounds on Dead Martys are an attempt at being Joy Division, good for them, and before Interpol as well.

I was looking at some interviews from Nicky about where he was talking about reading over Richey's lyrics and going "A. I can never be this good, and B. Look where being this good leads you" and I think he has a point. Been really trying to see things from their perspective.

Anyway, it's been fun catching up with the dads. I'll have to try Postcards from a Young Man onwards with this attitude.

needed to talk to someone about this so here we are.

I'll be honest, it's a while since I listened to the stuff that I actually used to enjoy by them. Everything Must Go and THB are 2 albums that I loved from my teenage years but I loved and listened to them so much back then that I'm almost kind of afraid to listen to them now in case they're not as good as I remember and they're ruined for me.

Sleepy's out of the club.

I pretty much never put on THB either, maybe once a year. It's all a bit much.

You love Know Your Enemy, we can all see it.

Have made it as far as Send Away the Tigers on my good humoured journey. On the first few listens I didn't think I was going to get there. Too many dodgy lyrics stuck out. But after the first three songs it goes on a good run.

Vocals and guitars sound great.

Highlighting JDB as the driving force of keeping the band going for 30 years.

You love Know Your Enemy, we can all see it.

Have made it as far as Send Away the Tigers on my good humoured journey. On the first few listens I didn't think I was going to get there. Too many dodgy lyrics stuck out. But after the first three songs it goes on a good run.

Vocals and guitars sound great.

Highlighting JDB as the driving force of keeping the band going for 30 years.

He's very underrated as a guitar player and vocalist

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back