Music nowadays is shit: Discuss. (1 Viewer)

Marks & Spencer have their work cut out for themselves in the manipulative, cloying christmas video stakes this year.

TBH I find it hard to hate, it does what it sets out to do and at least it's not an advert for a shop.

Yeah..a younger me might have been disgusted by it and giving out about how awful everyone involved is

But it doesn't make me feel anything at all really

It's not the worst thing I've ever heard. Am I right in saying that Perfect Day wasn't quite as well known when it was given the BBC treatment and also that it was originally meant only as a promo and then released after the ad became popular? Video is bleedin' twee although is that a guy taking a dump in heaven near the end?

It's not the worst thing I've ever heard. Am I right in saying that Perfect Day wasn't quite as well known when it was given the BBC treatment and also that it was originally meant only as a promo and then released after the ad became popular? Video is bleedin' twee although is that a guy taking a dump in heaven near the end?

It was pretty well known to anyone in Britain that had seen Trainspotting.
And that was a lot.

My mate had it as his wedding song in between Renton's OD and the BBC spunkfest.

whatever happened to the font is unintentional:

i only got into music seriously when i was 16 (in 1992)
before that i had only ever bought less then ten records.

i was really into Sonic Youth etc. for about a year but then came to the conclusion that all the bands on SST, Touch and Go, Homestead, Sub Pop etc. had done inferior records when they signed to majors (except for Nirvana ) or were always tame compared to band i liked from earlier on (like Buzzcocks, Joy Division, Killing Joke, Birthday Party, Big Black, Minor Threat etc. ).
after discovering zines in 1993 i gave up reading the music press and just concentrated on DIY stuff and old stuff from before my generation.
the straw that broke the camels back was buying a series of records on the recommendation of the music press that were hip at the
time but in reality safe and boring by the likes of Rocket From The Crypt, Mercury Rev and Royal Trux (one of the first things Domino put out).
when majors did something different then like the Boredoms or Mr Bungle at the time it didn't sell.
also their attempts to make death metal the next big thing (in 1993) lead to laughably wimpy LP's like Wolverine Blues and Heartwork.
i thought if they can do this to death metal then there's no hope for for popular rock music.
my one regret is ignoring the hip hop scene it was definitely the most vital original force in popular music then.

my point is that i never cared very much for my own era and if i seem like an old fart now it was because i felt that way since i was a teenager.

i would love music to shock me again but the last time i remember being surprised by contemporary bands that became a genre was Sunn OR Earth 2 before that years ago. certainly i can't think of anything that was big enough to become a genre that sounded completely fresh since.

grindcore, post punk, gangster rap, power electronics, black metal, breakcore,
is music for middle aged people.

Hearing the all-star 'God only knows' is now my own personal Sword of Damocles ... it's not a question of 'if' ... only of 'when' ... this is horrible, like death but not in a good way.

Hearing the all-star 'God only knows' is now my own personal Sword of Damocles ... it's not a question of 'if' ... only of 'when' ... this is horrible, like death but not in a good way.

I'm going to make it my life's work to never hear this thing.

Every night when I go to bed I get down on my knees and thank God for another day without hearing this.
You said it. Yet to hear it myself. Therefore it doesn't exist.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Tracy knows
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is it. I can't really hate on anything thats for a good cause and isn't doing any harm to anyone and is inclusive of the original performer etc, but its very weird hearing all those voices mashed together. Even with the video for reference, the weirdly stylised voices all mashed together like that makes it a bizarre listen.

my point is that i never cared very much for my own era and if i seem like an old fart now it was because i felt that way since i was a teenager.
Snap

grindcore, post punk, gangster rap, power electronics, black metal, breakcore,
is music for middle aged people.

That's fair enough though, right? They're all 25-35 year old genres anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back