The week of football (2 Viewers)

shite you could say, czech not really playing

having said that they just scored a cracking goal

Czechs grab it late on, Pilar goal in the last minute to make it 2-1.

Bosnia 1 - 2 Cyprus is interesting, as is Iceland 3 - 0 Turkey.. Cyprus and Iceland are exactly the sort of teams that will be looking at the expanded Euros and thinking about their chances of making at least a playoff.

Wales just about make it past Andorra 2-1, two Bale goals.

Czechs grab it late on, Pilar goal in the last minute to make it 2-1.

Bosnia 1 - 2 Cyprus is interesting, as is Iceland 3 - 0 Turkey.. Cyprus and Iceland are exactly the sort of teams that will be looking at the expanded Euros and thinking about their chances of making at least a playoff.

Wales just about make it past Andorra 2-1, two Bale goals.

Turkey too, Iceland, Bosnia, Scotland, Poland, Norway, Denmark, Serbia, and ourselves, Basically the second division of Europe. Never going to be up there with France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Holland etc but in a cup competition all bets could be off. Greece or Denmark style. I'm all for the extended Euro's. Usually better than the world cup n'all. Although the last world cup was pretty good.

It'd be great if instead of friendlies there was a big FA cup style knock out competition that went on over the course of a season. It might make things a bit more interesting. If you get knocked out I suppose you go back to playing friendlies though.

Turkey too, Iceland, Bosnia, Scotland, Poland, Norway, Denmark, Serbia, and ourselves, Basically the second division of Europe. Never going to be up there with France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Holland etc but in a cup competition all bets could be off. Greece or Denmark style. I'm all for the extended Euro's. Usually better than the world cup n'all. Although the last world cup was pretty good.

It'd be great if instead of friendlies there was a big FA cup style knock out competition that went on over the course of a season. It might make things a bit more interesting. If you get knocked out I suppose you go back to playing friendlies though.

That sounds a bit similar to what UEFA are actually proposing, an ongoing international league thingy that replaces most friendly games: UEFA Nations League - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

About increasing the size of the Euros, I'm torn, I can see the intent of it being a carrot to entice the mid tier nations to improve but it'll certainly water it down a bit, there'll be an a fair number of duffer games with 24 sides - possibly some of them involving us - whereas 16 teams was pretty much perfect.. 24 teams (assuming it's done like the World Cup between 1986 and 1994) is a bit of an awkward format, you have 36 games at the group stage just to eliminate 8 teams..

The decision to stagger the qualifiers was a brainwave - games over three days, yes please.
However, I favour an 8 team Euro, only the top teams, two groups of four. If we qualify, fucking party town for two weeks, if we don't, sure no worries.

The decision to stagger the qualifiers was a brainwave - games over three days, yes please.
However, I favour an 8 team Euro, only the top teams, two groups of four. If we qualify, fucking party town for two weeks, if we don't, sure no worries.
Nah, 8 teams was ridiculous. We'd never qualify again. It'd be the same 8 teams every 4 years. Sure Denmark didn't even qualify the year they ended up winning the thing.

24 teams leading straight into the last 8 would be pretty fucking mental. win the group or your out. A lot of dead rubbers on the last day though. We'll see when it starts I thought the format for the last one was pretty much spot on. The quality was really high, as it was in 2008 back when Spain were mind-blowing and Turkey were just ridiculous.

Good times, great tournament.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Shite music on that unfortunately

Great tournament. Great goals. Great names. Hakin Yakin refuses to celebrate after scoring against Turkey, Podolski does the same when he scores against Poland. Where the fuck are you from lads? I suppose no one would celebrate if they scored against Ethiopia, right?

No, it was quality. But yeah, 16 teams is fine.
The only one I watched with that format was 1992. It was very poor. Mind you arguably the two best teams in europe at the time didn't qualify. Yugoslavia because the country disintegrated and Italy because they managed to lose to Norway. Fucking Scotland England and France were awful in that tournament. Actually apart from Sweden everyone in that tournament was shite.

The only one I watched with that format was 1992. It was very poor. Mind you arguably the two best teams in europe at the time didn't qualify. Yugoslavia because the country disintegrated and Italy because they managed to lose to Norway. Fucking Scotland England and France were awful in that tournament. Actually apart from Sweden everyone in that tournament was shite.
Ah yeah, but Euro 88 was the best ever, and not just cos we were in it!

Ah no, totally because we were in it. It was shite otherwise.

Shut up

scoreboard%20from%20england%20end.JPG

000183fa12cry.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back