Slint box set (1 Viewer)

I've never listened to or liked Slint because of 'the mystery' that surrounds them, I'm only interested in the amazing music that they've made and they are still an unreal live experience. The box looks cool but €155 shipped to here is just too pricey.

No one listens to music because of mystery

No one listens to music because of mystery
One of the major things that got me into Sonic Youth, REM and Nirvana was a sense that i was missing something. That if I could figure them out I'd have evolved somehow. When your 12 and you're trying to figure out the world that sense of mystery is at it's most potent. Like what is Smells Like Teen Spirit or Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight all about ? You a vague idea that it might have something to do with the stirings in your pants but beyond that it's like suburban hieroglyphics some kind of aural myth. You don't know why it's enthralling you but it just is.

So yeah, basically in my opinion you're wrong there.

i'd be curious to hear the demos. this was released the same month spiderland was recorded and i always wondered if it had any bearing.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I kind of do.
With some of it.
One of the major things that got me into Sonic Youth, REM and Nirvana was a sense that i was missing something. That if I could figure them out I'd have evolved somehow. When your 12 and you're trying to figure out the world that sense of mystery is at it's most potent. Like what is Smells Like Teen Spirit or Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight all about ? You a vague idea that it might have something to do with the stirings in your pants but beyond that it's like suburban hieroglyphics some kind of aural myth. You don't know why it's enthralling you but it just is.

So yeah, basically in my opinion you're wrong there.

Yeah that's true. In response to the comment about 'not listening or liking slint because of the mystery', my point was that the mystery/mystique around the band is something that followed from the music becoming so popular (and, yes, also feeds back into the increase in its popularity). If you read my long post and thought 'he thinks people listened to slint because it was cool not because it's good music', which seems implied, you've completely missed the point.

Yeah that's true. In response to the comment about 'not listening or liking slint because of the mystery', my point was that the mystery/mystique around the band is something that followed from the music becoming so popular (and, yes, also feeds back into the increase in its popularity). If you read my long post and thought 'he thinks people listened to slint because it was cool not because it's good music', which seems implied, you've completely missed the point.
Oh yeah the main reason I listened to Sonic Youth Nirvana and REM is because they're fucking brilliant. You want to be some cunt to listen to stuff you don't rate because it's cool to say you listen to it, you should see the state of some folks at Sonic Youth gigs. Just staring at the stage going "what the fuck ? this sounds nothing like The Strokes, how do I leave and still look like I don't give a fuck".

Anyway so long as every second cunt at gigs is a "music photographer" with a fucking iphone there's no hope of any band ever having any mystique anymore.

Jesus - they really were just kids!

Trailer for for the feature length documentary "Breadcrumb Trail" by Lance Bangs about the band Slint and the Louisville music culture they emerged from.

News | Touch and Go / Quarterstick Records

Thought Breadcrumb Trail doc was excellent. Great to get some background on the band. Britt is an incredibly interesting, if quite strange character. Didn't know he did so much stuff post-Slint, like the Breeders??? Jeez.
good Q+A too.
I'm giving Tweez another go today; didn't grab me much first time. Will dig out that 10" too.
Anyone else go?

Thought Breadcrumb Trail doc was excellent. Great to get some background on the band. Britt is an incredibly interesting, if quite strange character. Didn't know he did so much stuff post-Slint, like the Breeders??? Jeez.
good Q+A too.
I'm giving Tweez another go today; didn't grab me much first time. Will dig out that 10" too.
Anyone else go?
Yep, loved it. Amazing that they were playing with Minor Threat when they were 14 yr olds, recording with Albini while still in their teens. Rehearsing 5 days a week on their summer holidays from college. Made me really nostalgic. But also it was just great to see the footage, hear the tunes on those massive big speakers and piece it all together. There really was something in the water in Louisville round then. They kicked it all off I guess.

Last edited:
good Q+A too.
Anyone else go?

Guy from Slint was Shannon Doughton? I see. HE'S REALLY GOOD ON THAT ALBUM.

PS it was a fucking shit ATP, bunch of crap bands from Louisville and Mark Kozeleck who didn't bother showing up
Haha, yeah that was a shit ATP alright. All the more so because they tried to make out that they had put in a tonne of effort into it and there was this over-arching theme and compared it favourably with prior years; even though all they did was book their mates and skrimp on big names because it sold out on the back of their reunion.

And it was depressing not to be bothered by the time they came back again to play Tripod. Having said that, their set at the ATP just gone was one of the best gigs I was ever at. Thought I had lost interest, how wrong I was. Just incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back